The Student Room Group

How do I split the electric bill if I'm moving out?

Hey guys,

So I've just finished my academic year and I'm moving back home this weekend. The contract for the student house ends in September, and so my other two house mates have chosen to stay. One is staying because he has an internship and the other is looking for one. We only have electric bills - so no gas bills, and we're with SSE.

So my question is, how much exactly do I pay of the electric bill after I move out? Is it still a 1/3? I've told them that I shouldn't have to pay anything, because I wouldn't be here to be using any electricity - but they made a fair point by saying that the boiler is still running and so is the fridge. I'm still paying for broadband and water, since that's a fixed price. However, what do you guys think about the electric bill, how much of that should I pay after I've moved out?

Thanks a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goldensnypa
Hey guys,

So I've just finished my academic year and I'm moving back home this weekend. The contract for the student house ends in September, and so my other two house mates have chosen to stay. One is staying because he has an internship and the other is looking for one. We only have electric bills - so no gas bills, and we're with SSE.

So my question is, how much exactly do I pay of the electric bill after I move out? Is it still a 1/3? I've told them that I shouldn't have to pay anything, because I wouldn't be here to be using any electricity - but they made a fair point by saying that the boiler is still running and so is the fridge. I'm still paying for broadband and water, since that's a fixed price. However, what do you guys think about the electric bill, how much of that should I pay after I've moved out?

Thanks a lot.

At least the fixed part of the electricity bill.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
At least the fixed part of the electricity bill.

Well what do you mean by "at least". I'm trying to understand if I should be paying part of the usage electric bill or not. And what would you define as a fixed part of the electric bill?
When you took out the contract did you know it would be until September 2015? If yes then it's your responsibility to pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by HygieneTherapy15
When you took out the contract did you know it would be until September 2015? If yes then it's your responsibility to pay.

Yes, I agreeeeee, but how much of it should I pay? Haha. That's my question.

There's three of you so a third. it's obvious.
Well what do you mean by "at least". I'm trying to understand if I should be paying part of the usage electric bill or not. And what would you define as a fixed part of the electric bill?

By at least I meant I think thats the absolute minimum you should pay, but really I would agree with HygieneTherapy15 that you are liable for one third of the bill total until the end of the contract.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
By at least I meant I think thats the absolute minimum you should pay, but really I would agree with HygieneTherapy15 that you are liable for one third of the bill total until the end of the contract.

Well that sucks, okay then. Thanks a bunch, guys.
Reply 8
Guys I agreed to pay a third towards a bill until September. How much should I actually pay though.

I've paid bills over summer for a house I wasn't living in- its in most contracts that we are liable for bills and at the end of the day I chose to go home, I could have stayed in the house.

Is there a meter so you know how much you've used until now? If you can find that out then see if you can agree with your housemates so that you pay a third of this amount. It's down to you and your housemates how you split it, the utility company won't care as long as they get the money.

I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for something you won't be using at all for the next three months.
Reply 11
Original post by jameswhughes
Is there a meter so you know how much you've used until now? If you can find that out then see if you can agree with your housemates so that you pay a third of this amount. It's down to you and your housemates how you split it, the utility company won't care as long as they get the money.

I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for something you won't be using at all for the next three months.

Yes, that was the plan. Before I move out (this sunday) I was going to record the meter readings and submit that to SSE. And then split the bill between the three of us. Everything after that I thought would be split between the two of them, but I don't know. I am essentially not living here for the rest of the contract, which is the remaining of May, June, July and August.

You should pay the same amount as you've been paying all year. The house is still there for you, but you chose to go home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, that was the plan. Before I move out (this sunday) I was going to record the meter readings and submit that to SSE. And then split the bill between the three of us. Everything after that I thought would be split between the two of them, but I don't know. I am essentially not living here for the rest of the contract, which is the remaining of May, June, July and August.

Yeah, that seems fair, I don't see why they wouldn't agree to that unless they're unreasonable. The utility bill for the next three months should be less as there's only two of them in the house, and you shouldn't have to subsidize it if you're not there at all.
Original post by HygieneTherapy15
You should pay the same amount as you've been paying all year. The house is still there for you, but you chose to go home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If he's not going to be in the house, then he's not using any of the utilities.
Reply 15
Yeah, that seems fair, I don't see why they wouldn't agree to that unless they're unreasonable. The utility bill for the next three months should be less as there's only two of them in the house, and you shouldn't have to subsidize it if you're not there at all.

That's what I was thinking. But since a few people here have mentioned that I am liable to pay a third of the bill according to the contract, I'm a little confused. Does that mean that I need to rely on their generosity to be reasonable to the situation? Because technically they can enforce the terms of the contract on me?
That's what I was thinking. But since a few people here have mentioned that I am liable to pay a third of the bill according to the contract, I'm a little confused. Does that mean that I need to rely on their generosity to be reasonable to the situation? Because technically they can enforce the terms of the contract on me?

Yeah, there's no formal arrangement so as the house contract is still in your name you would technically be liable for a portion of the bills.

However, given that you're not going to be there, it would be quite unreasonable for your other two housemates make you pay for what's going to be entirely their electricity usage, and they should pay half each for the usage after you've left.
Reply 17
Yeah, there's no formal arrangement so as the house contract is still in your name you would technically be liable for a portion of the bills.

However, given that you're not going to be there, it would be quite unreasonable for your other two housemates make you pay for what's going to be entirely their electricity usage, and they should pay half each for the usage after you've left.

Alright, thanks a bunch for the clarification.

[QUOTE

I would disagree with this if the housemates signed the contract on the basis that bills would be split three ways for the duration. If the OP is choosing to leave early and is not finding a replacement, then he should still contribute towards the electric bill as the house is still there for him and things like the fridge and router still need to be paid for.

How much would be open for discussion though. I think £10 a month is fair if the bill is more than £30 per month. Otherwise, 1/3 wouldn't be too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If your contract has a fixed charge you should be paying a thrid of that after you move out. The others could go home too and then there would only be the fixed charge to pay because the boiler and fridge could be turned off, they chose to stay on so should pay more. However legally you are liable for a third of the bill so you are looking to negotiate a reduction they don't have to give you.

Latest

Trending

Trending