Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As a non-fair weather wearer of a beard, has the time finally come to shave it for the upcoming vacation schemes I have? Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to be shaving

ReputationRep:
    I would err on the side of caution and get rid of it- should you be lucky enough to secure a training contract offer at the firm, then by all means grow the beard (though you may be better of without it lol)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Get rid. Some people do have stubble etc., but it depends on the attitude of the partners in your team. You have no idea what your partners' opinion on beards will be, so best leaving it off.

ReputationRep:
    Probably depends on how strongly you feel about the beard. I got a TC with a (very trimmed) beard, but then I look more professional with than without. Can certainly see Le Nombre's point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsw08)
    As a non-fair weather wearer of a beard, has the time finally come to shave it for the upcoming vacation schemes I have? Anyone have thoughts on the matter?
    I agree with the other comments. It really depends on the person interviewing you. Some partners might see the beard as something that makes you unique in a creative way; others might see it as unprofessional. Personally, I would shave it off just to play it safe, but then it could work to your advantage if the right person is interviewing you. However, you will be taking a risk if you do keep it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero_Gravity91)
    Some partners might see the beard as something that makes you unique in a creative way;
    Pushing it.

It's a law firm, not a bar in Shoreditch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)
    Pushing it.

Yes that is true, but I think some partners are eccentric people. Of course, they don't come often, but I think they do exist in law firms. Not that I'm supporting his decision to keep the beard; I just believe law firms would hire a diverse range of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)
    Pushing it.

You get the odd one here and there.

There's a partner at Stephenson Harwood who resembles Santa.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by zero_Gravity91)
    I just believe law firms would hire a diverse range of people.
    Good one.

(Original post by TurboCretin)
    You get the odd one here and there.There's a partner at Stephenson Harwood who resembles Santa.
    Tbf you could probably turn up with a Mohican and still only be the second most embarrassed person at their partners' meetings these days.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.