: Nirmal :
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I really need help in the Clark 1998/99 study in in social psychology
Can u play break it down into aim procedure and findings plz and if so plz give some ao2 points as well
Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
leannemarriott
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
im learning this module too
but apparently the clark study isnt important
charliehanna_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had problems breaking it down as well. Honestly, looking at various papers, Moscovici has more significance and is A LOT easier to understand.

If you did talk about it in the paper, say that he aimed to test two predictions- 1) that the minority could exert influence through the information presented and the persuasive nature of the minorities arguments. 2) That the minority could influence through changes in behaviour or 'defections' (seeing other people change their view can have a powerful effect of the individual's own beliefs
As the different conditions are confusing i would outline what they were debating (talk about the film and it's basic plot) and say that when they were given the plot summary and debated the innocence of the man, if the minority couldn't provide a persuasive argument, the majority did not change their opinions. However if the minority presented the counter-arguments (the old woman had bad eyesight, the man had a disability that would have prevented him seeing it and the 'rare' knife could easily be bought), this caused defections from the majority, causing a snowball effect until they agreed that the man was innocent.
Clark therefore concluded that internalisation could occur and the minority could exert influence by defecting behaviour and by having convincing, persuasive arguments

AO2:
-the study was representative of real-life situations as the task was a simulation of a realistic situation in which social influence does take place (jury decision making)
-the costs of making an error for participants in this study were much lower than in real-life jury service where it is likely that decisions would have been thought through a lot more due to the consquences. Therefore it is questionable how far the results of this role-play can be generalised to real-life jury service
Rep:
?
Thanks you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
leannemarriott
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can someone help urgent
for psychological therapies is it okay if I only learn one therapy for each?
what. E.g. systematic desensitisation for behavioural therapies
Rep:
?
(Original post by leannemarriott)
Can someone help urgent
i personally would learn all of them...better safe than sorry
charliehanna_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by leannemarriott)
Can someone help urgent
The specification only states that you need to know
  • Biological therapies- including drugs (for depression and schizophrenia) and ECT
  • Psychological therapies- including psychoanalysis, systematic de-sensitisationand Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

While it is good to know a range as commentary to go with your answers, spend more time on these as they can specifically ask you about these individual treatments. They won't expect you to have studied more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (6)
8.45%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
70.42%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (10)
14.08%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (4)
5.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.41%

Watched Threads