The Student Room Group

Can I still be an Cambridge Engineer

I really want to study chemical engineering at Cambridge and I'm a classically high performing student with a fair few super curricular activities and achievements (not the most but far from the least). Throughout the academic year I have scored no less than 95 UMS in all Further maths mocks but I feel as though I bombed my FP1 exam on thursday (low A at best) While I still have two other further maths modules to complete, D1 and S2, and the rest of my A level subject exams forthcoming (Maths, Chemistry and Physics) I am curious to know whether with this in mind and assuming I smash my remaining exams I can still get a place at cambridge for engineering. I am aware mathematical ability is integral to the course but is my one off, bad day enough to ruin my chances?
Reply 1
I'm in a similar situation. I made a terrible mistake in the last question and now I'll only get about 65/75.

If you get an A overall you can still do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 2
*a Cambridge engineer, well at least I know I'm not winning any sort of grammar awards anytime soon
Reply 3
Original post by DivineFavour
I really want to study chemical engineering at Cambridge and I'm a classically high performing student with a fair few super curricular activities and achievements (not the most but far from the least). Throughout the academic year I have scored no less than 95 UMS in all Further maths mocks but I feel as though I bombed my FP1 exam on thursday (low A at best) While I still have two other further maths modules to complete, D1 and S2, and the rest of my A level subject exams forthcoming (Maths, Chemistry and Physics) I am curious to know whether with this in mind and assuming I smash my remaining exams I can still get a place at cambridge for engineering. I am aware mathematical ability is integral to the course but is my one off, bad day enough to ruin my chances?

You are far smarter than me which is evident by the simple fact you want to go to cambridge! I'm a architectural conservation student at my local uni (Swansea met) but thought i'd give my two cents.

I'm sure at Cambridge they take into account your results from throughout the year, so I'm sure if you can prove you had x amount on mocks etc throughout the year, while having a low A (which is still good) I am sure you will get in. Everyone, and I mean everyone has 'exam nerves' and can have a bad day. I'm sure if you do fine in your remaining exams you will be fine mate!

Applying via engineering or nat sci? And yes it is still possible to get in with a few bad results. My friends brother got an offer for nat sci with 83% in c3 and 85 in m2 so you still have a chance for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by samb1234
Applying via engineering or nat sci? And yes it is still possible to get in with a few bad results. My friends brother got an offer for nat sci with 83% in c3 and 85 in m2 so you still have a chance for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was hoping engineering route, thanks for the kind words though

Original post by Idomaths
I'm in a similar situation. I made a terrible mistake in the last question and now I'll only get about 65/75.

If you get an A overall you can still do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask a member of the Peterhouse admissions team here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3315701
I was hoping engineering route, thanks for the kind words though

No problem. All goes well I'll be applying for nat sci my self come October :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe Cambridge even allow retakes provided it's just one or two exams, so if you've got one exam that's a bit lower than the rest it'll probably just be put down to a bad day than any reflection on your ability.
They will look at the three most relevant subjects and average the UMS. Usually you need at least 85% for an interview, most applicants tend to average 90% and most successful applicants average around 95%.

However, they're not robots - they can spot off a one off dodgy module and take account of it.

By the sound of things, if what you're saying comes true, it will still be worth applying - after all, it's only one of your five choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Engineering they will look at all your modules and will easily spot an outlier. In terms of your overall ranking it is worth understanding that your maths/physics UMS is effectively an average across 6-9 or more modules so that a fairly bad module will probably only lower your score by 1-2% max. When it comes to a NatSci best three all the maths are averaged into one subject then combined with your Chem & Physics so it is diluted even further. If you were good enough to impress at interview and get in before a rogue exam, you are still good enough afterwards!

I got 80% in FP1 and am currently a first year engineer at Girton College. As long as they average out to 90% plus you'll be fine. For comparison In AS I got
FP1 80%
D1 88%
M1 96%
C1 98%
C2 100%
S1 96%
I did AS Maths and AS Further alongside each other in lower sixth
Original post by EwanWest
I got 80% in FP1 and am currently a first year engineer at Girton College. As long as they average out to 90% plus you'll be fine. For comparison In AS I got
FP1 80%
D1 88%
M1 96%
C1 98%
C2 100%
S1 96%
I did AS Maths and AS Further alongside each other in lower sixth

hello!!
can you please tell me what did you get in physics and chemistry? ums % ? thank you :smile:
Original post by sztirmzi
hello!!
can you please tell me what did you get in physics and chemistry? ums % ? thank you :smile:

Physics OCR B
6491 89%
6492 100%
6493 (Coursework) 100%
Overall 289/300
Chemistry salters
First module 94%
Second Module 93%
Coursework 87%
Overall 278/300
Also got 90% in economics. For my offer they only wanted a B in chemistry at full A level, the offer was A*AAB. But I didn't apply for Chem Eng
*a Cambridge engineer, well at least I know I'm not winning any sort of grammar awards anytime soon

It's fine :h: The threads sometimes capitalize the 'i's in the thread title haha.

No it's not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending