The Student Room Group

Can I emigrate? Has anyone else done it who can advise me?

I can't explain it all here, but there are circumstances which make my life painful and possibly even worse in the future. I love my family and they give me huge support, have set me up with a home even, I am grateful, they wanted me to put roots down but deep down I know it's all wrong, I should have taken my degree and emigrated, now I'm stuck and all this country has done is treated me worse than a dog, I have some major enemies here. I don't want to put roots down and get emotionally attached, what I'm doing, I shouldn't have to tolerate what I do. My life will end up in a dire place if I stay. I can only conclude there is some weird destiny type thing where this country and me are not meant to get on. I hate the moralising, when I see through it and what has happned to me, I hate everything it's done for my life, I hear government talking about aspiration when all it's ever done to me is taken my dreams away. Has anyone else emigrated, how hard is it, and how did you feel when you did? And cope?

And please keep this in relationships because it isn't just a general issue, it relates to deeply personal stuff.
Original post by Anonymous
I can't explain it all here, but there are circumstances which make my life painful and possibly even worse in the future. I love my family and they give me huge support, have set me up with a home even, I am grateful, they wanted me to put roots down but deep down I know it's all wrong, I should have taken my degree and emigrated, now I'm stuck and all this country has done is treated me worse than a dog, I have some major enemies here. I don't want to put roots down and get emotionally attached, what I'm doing, I shouldn't have to tolerate what I do. My life will end up in a dire place if I stay. I can only conclude there is some weird destiny type thing where this country and me are not meant to get on. I hate the moralising, when I see through it and what has happned to me, I hate everything it's done for my life, I hear government talking about aspiration when all it's ever done to me is taken my dreams away. Has anyone else emigrated, how hard is it, and how did you feel when you did? And cope?

And please keep this in relationships because it isn't just a general issue, it relates to deeply personal stuff.

Firstly you need to state what your aspirations are. Eg. do you want to achieve greater financial success? Or social success? Or are you after a certain lifestyle that might be conducive to certain climates and cultures?

I assume you live in Britain, a country that ranks highly in metrics such as wealth and opportunity - considering this fact it's hard to think of countries that will offer enhanced opportunities to you compared to where you currently live.

However as I said, more information is needed regarding your intentions.

If you're a British citizen you can pretty much move to anywhere on the European continent. Outside this area your ability to migrate will depend on what skills and qualifications you have. Note that even skilled migrants from 1st world nations have trouble moving to other 1st world nations, EG America.

Other facts to consider are language, culture, ethnicity. What languages do you speak?

Some cultures are more xenophobic than others. e.g. If you went to live in Japan it would be very hard to fully integrate into that society.

Are you white, or do you have a connection with another culture you could connect with?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by media10000
Firstly you need to state what your aspirations are. Eg. do you want to achieve greater financial success? Or social success? Or are you after a certain lifestyle that might be conducive to certain climates and cultures?

I assume you live in Britain, a country that ranks highly in metrics such as wealth and opportunity - considering this fact it's hard to think of countries that will offer enhanced opportunities to you compared to where you currently live.

However as I said, more information is needed regarding your intentions.

If you're a British citizen you can pretty much move to anywhere on the European continent. Outside this area your ability to migrate will depend on what skills and qualifications you have. Note that even skilled migrants from 1st world nations have trouble moving to other 1st world nations, EG America.

Other facts to consider are language, culture, ethnicity. What languages do you speak?

Some cultures are more xenophobic than others. e.g. If you went to live in Japan it would be very hard to fully integrate into that society.

Are you white, or do you have a connection with another culture you could connect with?

My ambitions are far more humble. Just to live a constructive life, work hard and have a family, and not have to live under things which make my life hell and are cruel, perverse and unfair. I speak bad french. I'm more interested in Australasia or possibly even South Africa. I detest it here and I don't want to be persuaded otherwise. I want to know how to leave. I can't speak language for Europe, and don't think much of the EU and it isn't far enough, so that's a no. America is problematic to get into and I'm not keen on that or Canada.

More prosperous and safer parts of India intrigue me, as I believe despite dialects, their common language is often still English. So on a cultural and historical level, plus broadening my horizons, climate etc-Australasia and India interest me most.
Original post by Anonymous
My ambitions are far more humble. Just to live a constructive life, work hard and have a family, and not have to live under things which make my life hell and are cruel, perverse and unfair. I speak bad french. I'm more interested in Australasia or possibly even South Africa. I detest it here and I don't want to be persuaded otherwise. I want to know how to leave. I can't speak language for Europe, and don't think much of the EU and it isn't far enough, so that's a no. America is problematic to get into and I'm not keen on that or Canada.

More prosperous and safer parts of India intrigue me, as I believe despite dialects, their common language is often still English. So on a cultural and historical level, plus broadening my horizons, climate etc-Australasia and India interest me most.

What aspects of your life do you consider unfair? If you list these it would be easier to identify potential homes where this iniquity doesn't exist.

If you're looking for fairness, a sense of community and belonging, or perhaps even the chance to become a productive citizen, then India is not for you. If you think England is unfair then India is worse: this is a country where nepotism rules - and you will be an outsider.

Australia and New Zealand are good options - but they are really microcosms of England - they have similar cultures and values to England, they were both former English colonies after all. Australia & NZ however do have higher levels of social mobility, so your chances of coming from a humble background and succeeding are higher - but even these countries are steeped in unfairness and if you come from a humble background it's still a long, arduous way to the top.

There's no paradise of Earth I'm sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by media10000
What aspects of your life do you consider unfair? If you list these it would be easier to identify potential homes where this iniquity doesn't exist.

If you're looking for fairness, a sense of community and belonging, or perhaps even the chance to become a productive citizen, then India is not for you. If you think England is unfair then India is worse: this is a country where nepotism rules - and you will be an outsider.

Australia and New Zealand are good options - but they are really microcosms of England - they have similar cultures and values to England, they were both former English colonies after all. Australia & NZ however do have higher levels of social mobility, so your chances of coming from a humble background and succeeding are higher - but even these countries are steeped in unfairness and if you come from a humble background it's still a long, arduous way to the top.

There's no paradise of Earth I'm sorry.

I'm not naive enough to believe in utopia. I now that in Australasia I could get away from English establishment and their moral perversion and hypocrisy. I'm not talking standard stuff like crime, recessions etc, I know that happens all over. There is just something vile about them and I'm not going into personal stuff too much but privacy and liberty is a major problem with GCHQ and the NSA. I hate the class system and the way they operate, I hate the lack of liberty and privacy, that is only going to get worse, I hate the EU, and I also hate the overcrowding and determination to build over more and the fact the country is full of middle/little England people who sneer at anyone from anywhere else, are rabidly Tory, incurious and conditioned, and class obsessed, prurient and stuffy. I hate the false perecption of superiority regardless of how objectively bad things get. I also hate that it's only run for one particular corner of our island to prosper most, and only one subsection of the wealthiest of those. Australian ticks many of my boxes in escaping these things, and as for peoples criticisms, racism lack of culture whatever, it was a young country, it is evolving. And there is a spiritual link there, yet in many ways I think it's future is better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending