Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Every time I go on on the DailyMail, Russian planes have been flying over the UK, what is going on?????

ReputationRep:
    No. Those planes are practising nuclear attacks on the UK, not invasion.

That doesn't even mean the Russians plan to launch a nuclear attack on the UK, though, just that they want to be seen as having the ability to do so if they choose.

ReputationRep:
    Have you not played Call of Duty? It's coming...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    Every time I go on on the DailyMail, Russian planes have been flying over the UK, what is going on?????
    They've been doing it for years. Rest assure they will probably target southern cities and leave northerners alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    No. Those planes are practising nuclear attacks on the UK, not invasion.

That doesn't even mean the Russians plan to launch a nuclear attack on the UK, though, just that they want to be seen as having the ability to do so if they choose.
    WHAT THE ****?????????????? I need to start building a bunker

ReputationRep:
    Russia cannot afford to invade Sierra Leone let alone GB
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I wouldn't bother trusting the Daily Mail on this. Russia is testing our airspace responses in retaliation for years of NATO doing the same thing (and more intensely) to them.

This anti-Russian rhetoric is really worrying, not because they never do anything wrong, but because it's constantly with the thought of war and nationalism.

ReputationRep:
    Golly, I sure hope not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Oak)
    I wouldn't bother trusting the Daily Mail on this. Russia is testing our airspace responses in retaliation for years of NATO doing the same thing (and more intensely) to them.

This anti-Russian rhetoric is really worrying, not because they never do anything wrong, but because it's constantly with the thought of war and nationalism. Read both sides of the media.
    I thought peole like you disappeared after the Cold War ended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Oak)

This anti-Russian rhetoric is really worrying, not because they never do anything wrong, but because it's constantly with the thought of war and nationalism.
    correct. Worrying because if Russia really is the paranoid, power-hungry state you think it is then is inflaming it really the wisest thing to do? Much like those of wisdom who, during the cold war, thought the best response to an insecure opponent was to collect more arms than them....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Dickson)
    Worrying because if Russia really is the paranoid, power-hungry state you think it is then is inflaming it really the wisest thing to do?
    Churchill had a one-liner for people like you: An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Churchill had a one-liner for people like you: An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
    This isn't even at all similar to the Hitler situation.

Russia is not seeking to take over Europe.

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

there are ways to avoid being eaten and subverting the appetite is a good start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    WHAT THE ****?????????????? I need to start building a bunker
    I don't think it's anything to be worried about. They know we have the ability to hit them back, so they won't do anything. This went on for decades during the Cold War.

The only significance of it is them signalling that the UK is a target, that their planes are airworthy and may even be able to carry weapons again. For a long time none of those things were true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Dickson)
    correct. Worrying because if Russia really is the paranoid, power-hungry state you think it is then is inflaming it really the wisest thing to do? Much like those of wisdom who, during the cold war, thought the best response to an insecure opponent was to collect more arms than them....
    The Russians oppose western expansion and threaten our economic interests with their customs union (inherently applying tariffs to European and US exports), they also wish for territorial expansion.

We appeased them over Georgia and we got Ukraine, the Russian attitude must not be tolerated.

I don't think Russia seriously want a proper or nuclear war but the odds of a future war fought in another country (like Vietnam or Korea) have increased from near zero to maybe 20% i'd say. The situation is going down hill and neither Putin nor the west seems to have any idea how to recover the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)

I don't see any significant difference between Russia in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine and Hitler in the Sudetenland. Both times the annexationist argument was that the territory, though legally part of another state, was mostly populated by people who spoke the language of the annexationist power, and arguably wanted to be ruled by the annexationist power. In both cases those sets of claims were broadly true. It's also true that Russia is not threatening to invade Western Europe today, but nor was Hitler threatening to invade France or the USSR (or even Poland) in 1938.

Now it's one thing to say that Russia is unlikely to invade Europe because of NATO and the American, French, and Britain nuclear weapons that back it. It's quite another thing to say - as the TSR employees seem to think - that Russia is totally benign, or that a more effective response to an aggressive power would be to disarm. The possible Russian threat to democratic Europe is only limited by the military supremacy of the western powers.

ReputationRep:

Just neighbouring country's.

ReputationRep:

They do desire political and economic expansion though and so long as they defy the west, that is not a good thing at all.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any significant difference between Russia in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine and Hitler in the Sudetenland. Both times the annexationist argument was that the territory, though legally part of another state, was mostly populated by people who spoke the language of the annexationist power, and arguably wanted to be ruled by the annexationist power. In both cases those sets of claims were broadly true. It's also true that Russia is not threatening to invade Western Europe today, but nor was Hitler threatening to invade France or the USSR (or even Poland) in 1938.

Now it's one thing to say that Russia is unlikely to invade Europe because of NATO and the American, French, and Britain nuclear weapons that back it. It's quite another thing to say - as the TSR employees seem to think - that Russia is totally benign, or that a more effective response to an aggressive power would be to disarm.
    I don't think Russia is totally benign. I just don't think the Western countries and the EU are either.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.