Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So, Id like a laptop for uni: lectures, coursework, (and maybe netflix). Id like it be 12 or 13", it must be quite thin so I can easily fit it into my bag. About 8 hours of battery life.
    I have a budget of up to £300.
    Im not really up to date with what sort of tech is best so suggestions welcome

I was thinking of a Microsoft Surface 2? Does anyone recommend that or is there anything out there thats better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muffintop)
    Hey,

So, Id like a laptop for uni: lectures, coursework, (and maybe netflix). Id like it be 12 or 13", it must be quite thin so I can easily fit it into my bag. About 8 hours of battery life.
    I have a budget of up to £300.
    Im not really up to date with what sort of tech is best so suggestions welcome

I was thinking of a Microsoft Surface 2? Does anyone recommend that or is there anything out there thats better?
    Avoid the Surface 2, it runs Windows RT which isn't full Windows and is practically a dead operating system.

For your budget I'd recommend looking at Chromebooks, it's the only way you'll get a slim 12-13" machine with 6+ hours of battery life for £300 without performance sucking. ChromeOS has limitations compared to Windows machines but for basic word processing and video watching they're fine.

ReputationRep:
    Check out the brand new Surface 3. Don't bother with those trashy Chromebooks, they're an abomination to computing in general. Everything is thrown into the mystical cloud

ReputationRep:
    If you have a Chromebook, you can then install Linux on it relatively easily using ChrUbuntu or Crouton, which basically lets you do most things a normal Windows (using WINE) or Linux laptop can do. I have the Acer C720 running Crouton, and the battery normally lasts at least 6/7 hours, and it's lasted a good 10 hours (with low backlight and just word processing software open) before. It's thin and doesn't weigh much, but I'm not sure of the screen size - it seems quite small compared to my other (15.6") laptop, but different Chromebooks have different size screens.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.