The Student Room Group

Crikey - Chuka's out already!

That didn't last long. The hot favourite for Labour Leader, Chuka Umunna, is out after only a few days.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/15/chuka-umunna-withdraws-from-labour-leadership-contest

Rumours flying hither and thither on the twittersphere as to the proximate cause. Guido alleges homophobia in the party and the presentation of a fake girlfriend going drastically wrong. :eek:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
That didn't last long. The hot favourite for Labour Leader, Chuka Umunna, is out after only a few days.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/15/chuka-umunna-withdraws-from-labour-leadership-contest

Rumours flying hither and thither on the twittersphere as to the proximate cause. Guido alleges homophobia in the party and the presentation of a fake girlfriend going drastically wrong. :eek:

Could be down to his complete lack of experience.
This is a good thing.
Perhaps he's not quite ready, he's only been in politics for a few years right?
Original post by cake_lover
Perhaps he's not quite ready, he's only been in politics for a few years right?

Tbh, I think he's been wildly over-blown by a media excited by his 'modern manners', ethnicity and sense of poise. He's a smart bloke and an interesting character, but he really needs a lot more experience.
Tbh, I think he's been wildly over-blown by a media excited by his 'modern manners', ethnicity and sense of poise. He's a smart bloke and an interesting character, but he really needs a lot more experience.

No thumbs up left. If I did I'd give you one.

I'm struggling to think. Labour seems to be lacking some heavy hitters at the moment.

He does talk well and carries himself in a confident manner. Ed Miliband was criticised for not having these qualities, so I can see why people are looking to him now.

I do like he look of him, perhaps he could be a good leader sometime in thee future.

I would love to see David Miliband lead Labour though. He's someone I could see being a Prime Minister.
He does talk well and carries himself in a confident manner. Ed Miliband was criticised for not having these qualities, so I can see why people are looking to him now.

I do like he look of him, perhaps he could be a good leader sometime in thee future.

I would love to see David Miliband lead Labour though. He's someone I could see being a Prime Minister.

Although it was a bit pathetic the way DM immediately hit on his brother, I mean, even if he meant it politically and not personally, his sense of timing wasn't exactly great. A nasty interpretation is that he's a bit of a **** and they were better off with Ed, even though Ed lacks his skills on camera.
Original post by MatureStudent36
No thumbs up left. If I did I'd give you one.

I'm struggling to think. Labour seems to be lacking some heavy hitters at the moment.

Shame Alan Johnson declined, I think he could have won an election.

My hunch at the moment is the party might go for Yvette Cooper and whilst she's good in some ways, we all have a horror of bringing Ed Balls back on the scene in any capacity. :eek:
Although it was a bit pathetic the way DM immediately hit on his brother, I mean, even if he meant it politically and not personally, his sense of timing wasn't exactly great. A nasty interpretation is that he's a bit of a **** and they were better off with Ed, even though Ed lacks his skills on camera.

Tbf Daily Mail are dedicated to make Labour seem terrible and keep people right wing. I try to ignore them (although reading the comments on some of their articles are hilarious and depressing at the same time!)
Tbf Daily Mail are dedicated to make Labour seem terrible and keep people right wing. I try to ignore them (although reading the comments on some of their articles are hilarious and depressing at the same time!)

Oh sorry, for DM there I meant David Miliband - he went onto the attack over "the policies of the last few years" the day after Ed resigned. Pretty sad really.
So some insane Tory backbench blog mentions he really ought to be married by 36 and the left-wingers suggest that's suggesting he might be gay and this will harm his cause among UKIP voters. Is that the consensus or at least the one advanced by Guido?

Seems a bit weak, I think it must have been more than this, unless he really is gay and the girlfriend is fake, that would be a biggie.

Glad he's out, he would have been a disaster for Labour both politically and electorally. I don't think he talks well or looks confident or any of this other stuff, all I've ever been able to see is a slimeball, though God knows an electorate who voted for David Cameron can't be all that attuned to sliminess.

While still crying inside about Jarvis and Starmer (surely aiming for 2025) I am beginning to warm to Burnham after seeing his video. As far as I can see he bears no actual responsibility for Mid Staffs and actually set up the inquiry into it. I know facts don't mean **** to the tabloids but if he can get that particular defence out there early he probably has the best shot of a bad bunch, and at least he has the right politics and while a Cantabrigian he isn't a private school type. And those eyes :puppyeyes:

While I hardly support the tactics it's alleged that the Labour left have been using today to discredit Chuka internally, I'm glad they seem to understand the need to get someone in with the appearance of being tough and horny-handed.
Oh sorry, for DM there I meant David Miliband - he went onto the attack over "the policies of the last few years" the day after Ed resigned. Pretty sad really.

Oh woops! :colondollar: I hadn't read about that yet. Perhaps he's looking to join the race for leadership? and so wants to show himself as different from his brother?

Unfortunately I'm not the most knowledgeable person in politics, so I have no idea on who to vote for as the leader of Labour :s-smilie: (I've even thought of cancel my Labour membership)

Completely agree, David would have been awful politically and I don't think he'd have won the election either, the same ridiculous attacks would have been used about the Ralph hated Britain and the deed of variation. And remember the banana photo when people thought there was going to be a coup?

Though he probably did "have" to say something prior to candidates setting out their stalls in order to encourage the right wing.
After my success with the royal baby name I have placed a £10 bet on Tristram Hunt at 10/1 and a £10 free bet on Keir Starmer at 25/1.
That's a shame.

I hoped Chukka-your-money-away would win so that the Tories would have another term in office.

Oh well. Gotta hope it's Burnham now or Brown returns.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Birkenhead
After my success with the royal baby name I have placed a £10 bet on Tristram Hunt at 10/1 and a £10 free bet on Keir Starmer at 25/1.

Chump change, up it to £100 and we'll talk
Original post by scrotgrot
Chump change, up it to £100 and we'll talk

Need an income beyond student finance before I'm prepared to fully indulge my gambling itch. Have you placed any bets?
Original post by Birkenhead
Need an income beyond student finance before I'm prepared to fully indulge my gambling itch. Have you placed any bets?

Haha no so maybe I should eat my words :wink: I suppose I might have a flutter once exams are over. Think Tristy is a decent shout tbh, disastrous though it would be

What on earth are you talking about? It's quite obvious from the way he has spoken about and acted towards Ed in the last half-decade that it wasn't an act of spite. Like all Labour politicians he simply realised that he had a duty to say that Labour got it wrong so they don't look complacent and out of touch. I seriously doubt he said what he said before having the courtesy to inform or even ask permission from Ed (who, let's not forget, was a bit of a **** by foregoing brotherly loyalty in 2010 and insodoing splitting his family apart, all for his own personal advancement - frankly the doofus machiavel got his just desserts)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending