Turn on thread page Beta

Does memorising number plates before the test work? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to have my test soon and I can just about read from 20m away with glasses, although this is extremely irritating because I've been told I am a good driver and I have absolutely no problem at reading signs etc.
    In a last resort case, does memorising the number plates beforehand work? Just in case I get nervous and mistake an O for a D or something?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    To be blunt:

If you can't read the plates you shouldn't be driving. I don't care if you can park an elephant in the anal cavity of a ferret.

You could kill someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    To be blunt:

If you can't read the plates you shouldn't be driving. I don't care if you can park an elephant in the anal cavity of a ferret.

You could kill someone.
    I understand what you're saying but honestly it's not like that, I could spot a cat 70m away as easily as anyone . What the issue is, is identifying the difference between letters on a plate at a reasonable distance. I'm not going to lie and say my eyeseight is ideal because it isn't but it has never been an issue in my entire life until now. I appreciate the honesty though and I know what you're saying.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by LeeB96)
    I understand what you're saying but honestly it's not like that, I could spot a cat 70m away as easily as anyone . What the issue is, is identifying the difference between letters on a plate at a reasonable distance. I'm not going to lie and say my eyeseight is ideal because it isn't but it has never been an issue in my entire life until now. I appreciate the honesty though and I know what you're saying.
    So if there's a temporary road sign 20m in front of you and you can't read what it says, what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeB96)
    I'm about to have my test soon and I can just about read from 20m away with glasses, although this is extremely irritating because I've been told I am a good driver and I have absolutely no problem at reading signs etc.
    In a last resort case, does memorising the number plates beforehand work? Just in case I get nervous and mistake an O for a D or something?
    Thanks!
    Have you tried getting corrective lenses with an appropriate prescription? There's absolutely no excuse for this, and failure to meet the requirements for you wearing corrective lenses in the event of you causing an accident will render you criminally liable.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK they give you a second chance on a different number plate if you make a mistake on an easily confused letter first time... or at least they used to

ReputationRep:
    If your eyesight is that bad you shouldn't be driving full stop. How do you read road signs at speed if you have to be that close to just about make out a number plate? No point memorizing things as the cars might move, and you don't get to pick the vehicle either. Besides what about those dot matrix signs which might display speed limits or other information.

Just get your eyes tested and glasses appropriate or stay off the road for both your safety and that of others. Being told you are a good driver is vastly different to actually being a good driver!

ReputationRep:
    memorising plates before a test is essentially trying to cheat. Eye tests are there for a reason.

You can pick up prescription glasses you can keep in the car for half the price of a driving test.

ReputationRep:
    The legal visual requirement for driving is quite low and ideally your vision would be much better than the minimum. Get a pair of glasses and always wear them to drive as it's important to have sufficient vision.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.