The Student Room Group

WJEC Geography B GCSE Exam - 19th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellieann_g
I did the rural to urban migration case study, and i went blank so made one up. Would migrating to london count?? Talking about jobs and facilities etc?? I loved the rest of the paper though

what did you talk about for the desertification questions before the final case study?
Original post by jacob1371
what did you talk about for the desertification questions before the final case study?

I mentioned that most desertification occurs in LEDCs so therefore the local people arent educated so wont understand the causes of desertifcation etc. i said how they cause deforestation to sell the wood snd that leaves the soil exposed to rain and wind which makes the soil infertile and causes desertification. I cant remember what else i said. I wrote lots more about it all but thats i remember.
(edited 8 years ago)
I mentioned that most desertification occurs in LEDCs so therefore the local people arent educated so wont understand the causes of desertifcation etc. i said how they cause deforestation to sell the wood snd that leaves the soil exposed to rain and wind which makes the soil infertile and causes desertification. I cant remember what else i said.

for the ones where it said, how does it make life hard i talked about how they rely on subsistence farming and the desertification causes water bourne diseses bla bla and that the cows would die out so they couldn't feed there families and also that they had to travel far for water, do you think i would get marks for that? i didnt understand the question before the last case study so i wrote about how it would be hard to educate them about desertification and how the weather is unpredictable in those regions
Reply 23
What were the 2 case studies apart from rural to urban and extreme weather? One of them was either Case Study 10 (a case study of a river flood at a regional scale) or 11 ( management of a river at a local scale) - but which one?
Reply 24
Hi, I just had a really bad exam. Probably not enough revision and I messed up my case studies and 6 markers. I'm really worried as everyone seemed to find it easy... Last year's Theme 1&2 paper was 46 for an A*. What do you think it will be this year?? Thanks :-)
Yeah that seems good, i wrote similar things, fingers crossed
Original post by Naomi47
Hi, I just had a really bad exam. Probably not enough revision and I messed up my case studies and 6 markers. I'm really worried as everyone seemed to find it easy... Last year's Theme 1&2 paper was 46 for an A*. What do you think it will be this year?? Thanks :-)

Im sure you did better than you thought, dont worry about it! I messed up the first case study. I think the grade boundaries may either go up slightly or stay the same. They cant really go up too much more or its way too high.
Original post by innutum
What were the 2 case studies apart from rural to urban and extreme weather? One of them was either Case Study 10 (a case study of a river flood at a regional scale) or 11 ( management of a river at a local scale) - but which one?

it was about a river flood (physical causes and effects on people) and then there was also one on conflict between a rural area and visitors/tourists
Reply 28
Im sure you did better than you thought, dont worry about it! I messed up the first case study. I think the grade boundaries may either go up slightly or stay the same. They cant really go up too much more or its way too high.

Okay, good :-) Thanks, you've made me feel loads better!
Reply 29
Original post by armadillo1234
it was about a river flood (physical causes and effects on people) and then there was also one on conflict between a rural area and visitors/tourists

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
can someone please tell me if these answers sound good, for the savanna biom distrubution question i wrote that one was located south of the equator and north of the tropic of cancer and that one was located in central africa along with one being located in north austalia? is that good? and for the supermarket that just opend up i wrote that people living in rural areas would have a positive response as they would have to travel as far to get there goods and that some local stores did not like it cos of competition, for the first distribution question i wrote about how they where in a random distribution and that there was one on the edge of the cbd and a bit more. the main question i want to ask about is would it be correct for the desertification problems question to write about how they rely on subsistence farming and desertification cos there cows to die out and also that they had to travel far for water and some get water born dieses. (this was an idea of what i wrote)
Original post by jacob1371
can someone please tell me if these answers sound good, for the savanna biom distrubution question i wrote that one was located south of the equator and north of the tropic of cancer and that one was located in central africa along with one being located in north austalia? is that good? and for the supermarket that just opend up i wrote that people living in rural areas would have a positive response as they would have to travel as far to get there goods and that some local stores did not like it cos of competition, for the first distribution question i wrote about how they where in a random distribution and that there was one on the edge of the cbd and a bit more. the main question i want to ask about is would it be correct for the desertification problems question to write about how they rely on subsistence farming and desertification cos there cows to die out and also that they had to travel far for water and some get water born dieses. (this was an idea of what i wrote)

I wrote similar things, however on the desertification question I messed up completely because i didn't revise that topic:frown: I said that the soil would be dry so crops would not grow therefore animals wouldn't have food and neither would families in the area because they have no meat or crops, and also a lack of water is difficult because they have to travel long distances which is tiring for them because they have little energy.
Which case studies did you do? I did the flood one and the rural-urban migration, though I talked about urbanisation - is that correct or a different thing? I wasn't sure.
To be honest I panicked a little with this exam and I certainly didn't have enough time to complete all of the questions. I've got A* coursework though, and in all mock exams have got A*'s so I'm hoping for at least a B if I've not done too well. Plus we have the other exam soon so that can get more marks to push grades up. Any idea of the grade boundaries?
What are people's feelings on the paper to come (Theme 3)?
My teacher said that the decision making paper is easy marks, and you just need to evaluate different solutions to a problem, pick one and say why that one and not the others.
What did everyone have to do for their coursework?
Original post by Accio_Books
What are people's feelings on the paper to come (Theme 3)?
My teacher said that the decision making paper is easy marks, and you just need to evaluate different solutions to a problem, pick one and say why that one and not the others.
What did everyone have to do for their coursework?

I had a 10 hour long controlled assessment on the Seven Sisters :angry: and the theme 3 paper is alright, you don't really need to know much of your own information since they give you that booklet thing; only thing I'm worried about is te timing and having to learn even more case studies :unimpressed: :frown:
I had a 10 hour long controlled assessment on the Seven Sisters :angry: and the theme 3 paper is alright, you don't really need to know much of your own information since they give you that booklet thing; only thing I'm worried about is te timing and having to learn even more case studies :unimpressed: :frown:

The timing for the first exam was horrible, I didn't have enough time. :angry:
We haven't been told how to do the theme 3 paper yet, have you? Apparently it's just comparing ideas and choosing the best one on one paper, and then for the other we've been given a list of things to revise such as employment structures, locations of economic activities, climate change,development in different countries and interdependence. Case studies annoy me, I learnt so many for the first paper :rolleyes:
We had to do our coursework on sustainable tourism and things around that subject. We had to go on like a 3 day trip to Wales for that, which was hell. XD
The timing for the first exam was horrible, I didn't have enough time. :angry:
We haven't been told how to do the theme 3 paper yet, have you? Apparently it's just comparing ideas and choosing the best one on one paper, and then for the other we've been given a list of things to revise such as employment structures, locations of economic activities, climate change,development in different countries and interdependence. Case studies annoy me, I learnt so many for the first paper :rolleyes:
We had to do our coursework on sustainable tourism and things around that subject. We had to go on like a 3 day trip to Wales for that, which was hell. XD

nah all we've done is a couple past papers, I have no idea how to time and structure it but I've got a whole week to figure it out so I'll be fine :biggrin: they give you three options for some sort of management strategy for a certain place and then you have to evaluate the best one, that's all I know so far.
that trip to Wales sounds like hell, I found it bad enough having to spend a day on the cliffs let alone three in the Welsh wilderness :biggrin:
nah all we've done is a couple past papers, I have no idea how to time and structure it but I've got a whole week to figure it out so I'll be fine :biggrin: they give you three options for some sort of management strategy for a certain place and then you have to evaluate the best one, that's all I know so far.
that trip to Wales sounds like hell, I found it bad enough having to spend a day on the cliffs let alone three in the Welsh wilderness :biggrin:

It sounds alright, it's just timing for me. It's half term now though so just revision revision revision. XD We're going in for a day so our teacher can explain the paper to us and help us with parts we don't understand, so it should be fine.
It's the paper I'm dreading with the employment structure and climate change and stuff on it because I struggle with that. :')
Yeah, it was pretty awful. We had to stay in a hostel and the boys knew how to get into the girls rooms :unimpressed: Worth it though I suppose because we all came out with good quality coursework. What grade are you aiming for?
It sounds alright, it's just timing for me. It's half term now though so just revision revision revision. XD We're going in for a day so our teacher can explain the paper to us and help us with parts we don't understand, so it should be fine.
It's the paper I'm dreading with the employment structure and climate change and stuff on it because I struggle with that. :':wink:
Yeah, it was pretty awful. We had to stay in a hostel and the boys knew how to get into the girls rooms :unimpressed: Worth it though I suppose because we all came out with good quality coursework. What grade are you aiming for?

Hopefully A*, I got a good grade on the coursework and I think the first exam went alright, I'd obviously be happy with an A though :smile: what about you?
Hopefully A*, I got a good grade on the coursework and I think the first exam went alright, I'd obviously be happy with an A though :smile: what about you?

A* hopefully, that's what I've got on mocks throughout and my coursework's full marks though I don't know if it's stayed that way because it's been sent off to be checked :erm:
Which case studies did you do in the first exam?
A* hopefully, that's what I've got on mocks throughout and my coursework's full marks though I don't know if it's stayed that way because it's been sent off to be checked :erm:
Which case studies did you do in the first exam?

Conflict between tourists and locals/the environment in the Lake District and Carlisle floods :smile: I left the case studies too late so I basically had to memorize like 6 of them the night before :biggrin: I messed up some figures on the Carlisle one but everything else went alright, I did them first and somehow finished the exam five minutes early :confused: I usually run out of time really badly so I was like thank goodness!
congrats on full marks btw, that's amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending