Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished the second semester of 2nd year ChemEng - and I'm pretty certain I'll have to resit all exams.

Who else has encountered a lack of focus / discipline in their university careers and what you do to go about tackling it?

ReputationRep:
    Each semester has been like this to some extent but this semester I kind of just gave up.

The year begins with some structure, plans, and good routine but as it goes on my commitment to regular routine begins to waver and I end up missing assignments/not studying enough for my exams.

This semester was not difficult at all for me, and I really loved the courses, but I just didn't cover all the content in time for the exams.

Who else has this kind of issue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EngineerOreo)
    Each semester has been like this to some extent but this semester I kind of just gave up.

The year begins with some structure, plans, and good routine but as it goes on my commitment to regular routine begins to waver and I end up missing assignments/not studying enough for my exams.

This semester was not difficult at all for me, and I really loved the courses, but I just didn't cover all the content in time for the exams.

Who else has this kind of issue?
    sorry no one has replied. How much revision did you do for your exams?

ReputationRep:
    I reminded myself that the degree was costing me thousands of pounds, whilst simultaneously landing me with a debt of tens of thousands of pounds which is going to haunt me for decades. Resit years were going to make the problem worse.

I guess I was lucky in that I'd spent years in work. I just enjoyed the student life - even one spent in the library and working on assignments - as a bit of light relief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    sorry no one has replied. How much revision did you do for your exams?
    I kept putting it off and I ended up avoiding it because of stress as well. Think it was 2/3 days for chemistry and about the same for the rest. I study well, just don't commit enough to doing it often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I reminded myself that the degree was costing me thousands of pounds, whilst simultaneously landing me with a debt of tens of thousands of pounds which is going to haunt me for decades. Resit years were going to make the problem worse.

I guess I was lucky in that I'd spent years in work. I just enjoyed the student life - even one spent in the library and working on assignments - as a bit of light relief.
    Yeah, I seem to enjoy the studying when I do it. But it can be so easy to forget that it's costing you so much money and time.

More than anything I care about getting a good degree and actually being good at and understanding what I do, so I feel like maybe taking a year out to study the content at home might be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I kept putting it off and I ended up avoiding it because of stress as well. Think it was 2/3 days for chemistry and about the same for the rest. I study well, just don't commit enough to doing it often.
    Yeah, I seem to enjoy the studying when I do it. But it can be so easy to forget that it's costing you so much money and time.

More than anything I care about getting a good degree and actually being good at and understanding what I do, so I feel like maybe taking a year out to study the content at home might be helpful.
    Did you do about the same amount of time for your first year too?
    I'm asking because i can relate, possibly for different reasons.
    taking a year out might be a good idea but it honestly depends on whether or not your uni will let you.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.