Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that the student funding is enough to live off or have you had to rely off parents/go into debt?
    I hear of students having to take an overdraft on top of their student loan and I really hope I don't have to do this.
    I will probably get the minimum student loan as my parents are relatively well paid, plus I have around £6000 savings from a gap year that I could distribute between 4 years at uni. Could I live off this? How much do you guys normally spend?

Edit: I have a relatively good eye for seeing offers/good value for money and am not easily drawn in to spending money when not necessary (eg through advertising, 2 for 1 deals on things I don't need like lemonade) I also don't drink much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmuur)
    Do you think that the student funding is enough to live off or have you had to rely off parents/go into debt?
    I hear of students having to take an overdraft on top of their student loan and I really hope I don't have to do this.
    I will probably get the minimum student loan as my parents are relatively well paid, plus I have around £6000 savings from a gap year that I could distribute between 4 years at uni. Could I live off this? How much do you guys normally spend?

Edit: I have a relatively good eye for seeing offers/good value for money and am not easily drawn in to spending money when not necessary (eg through advertising, 2 for 1 deals on things I don't need like lemonade) I also don't drink much.
    I also get the minimum amount for my student loan and no grants or bursaries. It doesn't cover the cost of halls this year, but it will cover the cost of my rent next year (with a crazy £40 left over! :awesome: )

So my usual expenditure per week is about £40-£50 - sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. That includes food, going out to the pub once or twice a week (I rarely go out clubbing), eating out occasionally. Grainger Market is definitely the best place to go for cheap fruit, veg & meat. Master some meals that you can cook in bulk such as curry or Bolognese and then freeze it :P I don't tend to go for the 'value' or 'basic' range of stuff like pasta and rice etc due to a couple of reasons - but I guess if you did that you could probably save even more

I have savings though, which I've had to dip into this year. But I also have a job at home for when I go back over the holidays. If you were looking for a job in Newcastle - JobSoc is a good society to sign up for. They have jobs that are campus based & suit a range of skill sets Had a couple of temp jobs from them this last year which has helped to keep my bank balance healthy

Most student current accounts come with a 0% overdraft. I'd say get one, even if you don't think you'll need the overdraft, it's there just in case. And often the banks have decent freebies associated with their student current accounts (I got a four year rail card from Santander last year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave3094)
    I also get the minimum amount for my student loan and no grants or bursaries. It doesn't cover the cost of halls this year, but it will cover the cost of my rent next year (with a crazy £40 left over! :awesome: )

So my usual expenditure per week is about £40-£50 - sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. That includes food, going out to the pub once or twice a week (I rarely go out clubbing), eating out occasionally. Grainger Market is definitely the best place to go for cheap fruit, veg & meat. Master some meals that you can cook in bulk such as curry or Bolognese and then freeze it :P I don't tend to go for the 'value' or 'basic' range of stuff like pasta and rice etc due to a couple of reasons - but I guess if you did that you could probably save even more

I have savings though, which I've had to dip into this year. But I also have a job at home for when I go back over the holidays. If you were looking for a job in Newcastle - JobSoc is a good society to sign up for. They have jobs that are campus based & suit a range of skill sets Had a couple of temp jobs from them this last year which has helped to keep my bank balance healthy

Most student current accounts come with a 0% overdraft. I'd say get one, even if you don't think you'll need the overdraft, it's there just in case. And often the banks have decent freebies associated with their student current accounts (I got a four year rail card from Santander last year).
    Thanks, that's really useful! If you don't mind me asking, how much student loan do you get? And how much did you pay for your rent in halls?

ReputationRep:
    It's doable, but would be a struggle. You'd be unlikely to find a place to rent privately for less than £60 (excluding bills). Rents are normally £65-95 a week. So that is about half your money go already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmuur)
    Thanks, that's really useful! If you don't mind me asking, how much student loan do you get? And how much did you pay for your rent in halls?
    No probs - I think this year I got ~£3600. And for Windsor Terrace ensuite room I think it came to ~£4400.

Next year (I.e Sept 2015) I think I get ~£3700 and my rent excluding bills :-( is £70 a week for a house with 5 others in Sandyford, so next year total rent will be £3640.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.