Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the A View From The Bridge and Of Mice and Men exam on Monday, how is everyone revising? I've reread key scenes, revised paragraph structures we've been told to use, identified language within them, learnt context etc. but I'm still not feeling as confident as I feel I could be. Any other tips for revision over the weekend?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR Eng Lit too; it seems that hardly anyone on TSR is taking it :/

How many past papers have you done? If you haven't done any under timed conditions (45 mins), I'd recommend that you do one or too because it is difficult to write everything in the time given.
    Make sure you also understand the mark scheme and how they are marked, for example AO4 (historical context) is not marked in the modern drama exam. Remember also, a lot of marks are available for spelling, punctuation, grammar, legibility and communication.
    It's also a good idea to make a list of quotations and memorise them, that way you don't waste several minutes looking for evidence to support your argument.
    You could additionally explore the importance of certain parts/characters/items in the texts, for example the significance of Carlson owning a German gun (the Luger) in Of Mice and Men, which was used in WW1 and WW2 (although the book was written before WW2).

Good luck for Monday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesinatr)
    I'm doing OCR Eng Lit too; it seems that hardly anyone on TSR is taking it :/

How many past papers have you done? If you haven't done any under timed conditions (45 mins), I'd recommend that you do one or too because it is difficult to write everything in the time given.
    Make sure you also understand the mark scheme and how they are marked, for example AO4 (historical context) is not marked in the modern drama exam. Remember also, a lot of marks are available for spelling, punctuation, grammar, legibility and communication.
    It's also a good idea to make a list of quotations and memorise them, that way you don't waste several minutes looking for evidence to support your argument.
    You could additionally explore the importance of certain parts/characters/items in the texts, for example the significance of Carlson owning a German gun (the Luger) in Of Mice and Men, which was used in WW1 and WW2 (although the book was written before WW2).

Good luck for Monday
    I feel like there's hardly anyone too! I've done so many it's ridiculous, we've done nothing but past papers for the last three months of school!
    I've got key scenes outlined, like Candy's dog, Lennie being shot, death of the puppy etc. and the same for AVFTB.
    I just feel like y teacher's been pretty ambiguous about the marking, but I'd say that there's not a lot I can do to change it now! Good luck tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am sitting the same paper as you! Everyone on here does seem to be doing AQA papers though...

In the paper where you will be looking at Of Mice and Men you MUST show an understanding about the context of the novella, which includes knowledge America in the 1930s and of where the inspiration for the title came from. It is also a good idea to refer to the structure of sentences and the form- it is a good idea to remember that it is a novella, not a novel.

In my class we're always advised to go for the question about the extract opposed to the other option as it means that you waste less time searching for quotations. Even if you do go for the extract question, if you're going for a higher grade make sure you also use quotations from other parts of the novella/play as well. It is also a good idea to show your understanding of English; for example instead of writing, "The word ------ conveys that...", you could say, "The adjective ------- conveys that..."

I'm not 100% sure about what they will be looking for in the modern drama paper, but many past papers seem to ask about relationships between characters or how scenes are intense/dramatic/enthralling. It may be a good idea to look at how lighting and sound are used in the play, and to ensure that you have an understanding of the characters.

I hope this is helpful- good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.