Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do if you won the lottery!? watch

ReputationRep:
    100 million...

ReputationRep:
    Save a lot, donate some, spend some, pay for myself and my brother to go to uni, buy my grandmother an adequate house

ReputationRep:
    Split it between my family. Leaving us with all about 20 million each.

I'd give a sizeable sum to thoroughly researched charities. I'd save the majority of my share for future use on things such as postgraduate education, mortgages and other expensive life stuff.

I'd probably put about 50K into an account to just spend as I wish. I certainly wouldn't squander it though, although I'd be able to buy more stuff and do more stuff like go on holiday my spending habits would remain pretty consistent and I wouldn't go around throwing money down the drain just because I could afford to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ismail786)
    100 million...
    Well firstly at that amount i'd probably no longer work above £10m.

£10m - Houses and cars (big house, villas, apartments in major cities, chalet, main car would be something like a Bentley Flying Spur (chauffeur driven), second car would be something fast)
    £10m - Spending money

£20m - Apartments and houses let out in London
    £20m - Stock portfolio
    £20m - Small businesses (probably a pub, cafe, florist, potentially a flower or crop farm)

£10m - Divided between mother, father, step father, sister, half brother and step brother (paid out monthly)

£10m - Saved for a rainy day

If i make it to a few billion i'd probably fund some space ventures.

ReputationRep:
    kick 10 million back to the parents go to UBS and tell them to make me money on 50 million use 10 to buy several properties [UK, NZL, Russia] buy 20 millions worth of Gilts, treasury bills and NZL gvt debt and the final 10 hmmm buy all the nice things i've ever wanted donate 5 million to cancer research and finally get 1 million in cash and throw it from the top floor of the atrium at oxford circus or paddington etc. and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    oh and cocaine lots and lots of cocaine, like that scene from scarface
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    £1m to my mother
    £1m to my dad & stepmother
    £1m to my mother-in-law
    £500k (x 2) to my sisters-in-law
    £10m (x4) to each of my children in a trust fund

So that leaves £66m

£1350,000 house (plus legal fees, so let's say £1500,000)
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34156035.html

£995,484 holiday home (plus fees, so again let's say £1500,000)
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-...-39880496.html

We're onto what now? £63m?

Okay now I'd find some worthy causes. Ya know, like a kid dying of cancer and their only hope is getting pioneering treatment from the US, but the parents can't afford to take them or the medical expenses...that sort of thing. I don't have a great fondness for organised charities, I think a lot of the money donated to them goes on paperwork and administration fees. I'd rather cut out the middle man and donate directly to people who need urgent help. Children would be my priority.

I'd get all my kids into private schools if they wanted to go to school. If they didn't, I'd get them private tutors instead and have them home schooled. I know my daughter for one thing would prefer that - she's not really a people person and doesn't get on well with other kids, but she's exceptionally bright and loves learning.

Of course there'd be the obvious - holidays, a new car...

ooh speaking of which, when I was a kid I always said that one day I wanted to own a hot pink porsche boxster convertible. I'm flexible though - I mean I'd happily have this instead :

Okay okay, I know, I'm a mother of four kids, and I have a husband - how would I fit everyone in that thing? *sigh*. Well I'd have one ANYWAY but I'd also have a 7 seater car.

I'd put some money into my own business - I write books, so it would be expanding on that - merchandising and so on.

The rest I'd live on.

ReputationRep:
    quit uni.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?

Buy a few houses in spectacular places (Virgin Islands, Caymans, Bahamas, Turks/Caicos, Madrid, Venice, Malibu, Ft Lauderdale). Hire a staff and let them as expensive vacation homes (and of course reserve times when I want to be there.)

Buy a huge ranch in Colorado, another in Ireland, one in Australia and turn them into animal rescue centres

Invest in a few smaller farm-to-table or organic farming companies

Buy a house each for my dad and 2 sisters

Finance Uni for my niece and nephew

Buy a sailboat (with captain, cook and crew) and sail the Caribbean.

and live happily ever after!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.