Turn on thread page Beta

What a-levels do i choose???help watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my GCSE's at the moment and I'm going to be doing my A-Levels soon and I really need some help.
    I really want to take chemistry because I really enjoy it and normally do quite well, I'm telling myself I only need a B to take it if I don't do as well as I want to but is a B at gcse good enough for A-Level???

I am also thinking about Biology but the same goes for that too, do you think I'll struggle?

please help:confused:

ReputationRep:
    chemistry and biology are very hard, i'm not too sure if you'll be ok with a B at gcse, do you understand all the topics? and if your school is on edexcel for biology then pls don't do it lmao (i'm just kidding but seriously it's quite hard, that's just my opinion though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    chemistry and biology are very hard, i'm not too sure if you'll be ok with a B at gcse, do you understand all the topics? and if your school is on edexcel for biology then pls don't do it lmao (i'm just kidding but seriously it's quite hard, that's just my opinion though)
    We do AQA I usually get A's and A* in end of topic tests I just keep thinking I might not do as well because it's a different environment in the hall and stuff

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're dedicated you should be fine with a B. I got a B in chem through self teaching (I was home ed) and shortly became top of my class at A-level. Especially if you get A/A* on your own c: Although I would be wary, if you can drop to a B at GCSE just because stress, that's only going to increase at A-Level :| And A2's a b*tch.

I advise trying it for the first couple of weeks and seeing how you get on, my college let you switch if it wasn't too far into the term.

(Original post by bubblegumcat)
    Biology and chemistry aren't hard for everyone. I find them fairly easy (at least much easier than physics) and yet I've don't triple science through Edexcel.
    Some people also may get Bs and Cs at GCSEs and yet come out with top grades at A Level. Then it can also be the other way round - top students at GCSE find it hard to cope the year after.
    Don't limit yourself to what you're getting at GCSE. If you enjoy the subjects it will be easier to understand them, and therefore will be easier to get the right grades
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I got a B in chemistry gcse and finished a levels with an E so would say only do it if you love chemistry and believe you ll be able to handle the work

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in GCSE Chemistry and I'm doing pretty well at AS chemistry and biology right now. If you enjoy it and work super hard you'll do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPatr0nus)
    We do AQA I usually get A's and A* in end of topic tests I just keep thinking I might not do as well because it's a different environment in the hall and stuff
    sorry I don't do AQA ( for a levels but I did at GCSE) but you look you'll be fine keep practicing exam technique also

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study the things that interest you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Biology and chemistry aren't hard for everyone. I find them fairly easy (at least much easier than physics) and yet I've don't triple science through Edexcel.
    Some people also may get Bs and Cs at GCSEs and yet come out with top grades at A Level. Then it can also be the other way round - top students at GCSE find it hard to cope the year after.
    Don't limit yourself to what you're getting at GCSE. If you enjoy the subjects it will be easier to understand them, and therefore will be easier to get the right grades
    I am aware that some people find it easier even if they didn't do triple. I asked op if they understand the topics because even if they got a B, they could still do well if they understand the topics well. A grade doesn't necessarily show how well a person knows the topic imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.