Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! It's a huge dream to apply for medicine, which I've put away for a while as I've told myself it's too hard and I can't get in. Do you think I have a shot... (if I get a good UKCAT score)?

GCSE: 1A*, 2As, 4Bs, 2Cs.

AS-level: A- Chemistry, A-Biology, A- Maths, B- Drama.

A-levels: A*-Biology, A* Drama, A- Chemistry and (predicted) A* Maths.

Some background- I took up AS maths in my 2nd year at college, and am finishing it now in this gap year. Stuff that might affect me badly- I retook an AS biology exam last year as well as an AS Drama exam.

Don't worry about being sensitive to my feelings- please be honest about what the realistic chances are! Thank you!

EDIT- I went to a state school which later went into special measures (so I could use this to boost the GCSE thing), and I had- oh my word being very open here(!)- OCD/depression whilst I was taking my GCSEs, so I could possibly talk about that. Although I don't know if I really want universities knowing that. But now all of The Student Room do! Which makes me feel slightly weird...!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Look at medical school websites and rule out those you can't apply to. Have a look at Exeter, Plymouth, Newcastle and Glasgow medical schools in particular as I think you've got the minimum GCSE requirements and these medical schools dont look at your GCSE's any further.

Did you take all your A Levels within 2 years? (Apart from Maths that you're doing now). If so, then I believe it should be fine but email/ring the medical schools just to make sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2015
Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.