Turn on thread page Beta

My Boyfriend made another plans on my B'day.... watch

I am 23 and my boyfriend is 22..
    This is our 1st year and my first birthday with him..
    My boyfriend do know how excited i am for my birthday, and also know how important it is for me to spend it with him...
    His sister and cousins made a plan to go out of town in the same week and he will be not here for my birthday...
    I did ask him to cancel his plan, but he is saying they have already paid, Now i don't want to force him to be with me just cos i want that...

But idk, is it stupid to be upset that he didn't make any plans for my b'day in the first place? and he is going out on my bday !

What should I do? I don't really want to see him if I have to force him :/

ReputationRep:
    It might just be those things that he couldn't get out off, and already paid. Can't you wait for later? He might have something planned, just not on the day. It's nothing to stress over.

ReputationRep:
    You're one of those people who are living for the 20%.
    You should be having fun 80% of the time and so this shouldn't mean much to you.

Also nothing good really comes out of you being older than the guy. Whatever you think he is offering you now, when you start to move from your peak age he will lose his interest and cheat/leave. If he's already showing you he's not fully devoted to you with this birthday missing how do you think it will be if you make it to 30, 40...?

My advice would be to think about this relationship hard. If you feel it cant work long term, cut it now...(and look for an older guy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    You should be having fun 80% of the time and so this shouldn't mean much to you.

Also nothing good really comes out of you being older than the guy. Whatever you think he is offering you now, when you start to move from your peak age he will lose his interest and cheat/leave. If he's already showing you he's not fully devoted to you with this birthday missing how do you think it will be if you make it to 30, 40...?

My advice would be to think about this relationship hard. If you feel it cant work long term, cut it now...(and look for an older guy).
    I really agree with most of this but... she's only a year older than him. He's 22 and she's 23. I agree with the rest though.

Also, to the OP : he probably couldn't get out of it as it's already been paid for. Perhaps he can make it up to you and devote another day to you - treat it as a late birthday celebration?

ReputationRep:

She's only one year older than him....

ReputationRep:

She is literally only a couple hundred days older. If that bothered a guy then they can sling their hook anyway. Do all women have to be with older guys?..

On topic for OP, if it's done and he can't get out if it then that's that really. Your only choice is to ask if you'll be doing anything for it before/after he goes and if it bothers you that much, have a discussion about the fact that you're upset by it. Birthdays are a funny thing - some people want a fuss, some people don't even want it to be acknowledged. I'd hate a fuss. Good luck with it.

Oh wait - important, when was this trip booked?

I mean, if you've only been together a year and it was booked a few months ago...then I kind of see no issue. If I was in a new relationship and I had the rare opportunity (might not be rare for him, sure) to go away with my sisters and cousins, I'd be there no matter what

ReputationRep:
    Why should he have made plans for your birthday? Not every guy is going to plan a big surprise party or romantic weekend together for your birthday, probably very few will! I think if you want to do something for your birthday you should plan it yourself.

Besides, if it is your first birthday with him, perhaps he didn't know it was your birthday? At least he is going away with family not with "the lads" or whatever! If you want to be with him in the long run, you shouldn't try to get him to cancel as you don't want to give the family cause to dislike you.

Birthdays are not as big a deal to some people as they are to others, and you can always celebrate with him when he gets home!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2015
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.