The Student Room Group

English Literature Exam - Edexcel AS level

Is it possible to request a new paper if you have a panic attack and your mind goes completely blank?
Original post by ykagabo
Is it possible to request a new paper if you have a panic attack and your mind goes completely blank?

I don't think so unfortunately :frown: but you can re do it next year if you're in year 12. I did awful in this exam so I'm trying to stay positive by thinking about retaking it next year
Reply 2
So did I. Complete misinterpretation of the poem
Reply 3
Original post by j.heisenburg
I don't think so unfortunately :frown: but you can re do it next year if you're in year 12. I did awful in this exam so I'm trying to stay positive by thinking about retaking it next year

Am I able to redo it whilst studying A2?
Reply 4
Original post by chuckle
So did I. Complete misinterpretation of the poem

What exam board?
And if you're talking about the unseen poetry it does not matter if you misinterpreted the poem as long as you backed your interpretation with clear evidence of what you think then you can still access full marks
Reply 5
Original post by ykagabo
What exam board?
And if you're talking about the unseen poetry it does not matter if you misinterpreted the poem as long as you backed your interpretation with clear evidence of what you think then you can still access full marks

Even if it shows that you completely didn't understand the poem? Like the subject matter? E.g. if the poem was about walking down the park and describing what the poet saw, one may interpret it like "someone at a beach"

Is there a teacher to confirm anything about the exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ykagabo
Am I able to redo it whilst studying A2?

Yeah you can, don't worry. It may cost you around £15-30 though
Reply 7
Original post by chuckle
Even if it shows that you completely didn't understand the poem? Like the subject matter? E.g. if the poem was about walking down the park and describing what the poet saw, one may interpret it like "someone at a beach"

Is there a teacher to confirm anything about the exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well my teacher is a moderator of exams and also marks exam papers and she told us that so many people do not understand the actual meaning of the poem but if you use evidence to back up your point they cannot really deduct marks because the exam is not purposely trying to trick you, they just want to instil analytical skills and see how you can analyse a poem (they know that you have just seen it, they don't expect you to know everything especially under pressure)

scroll down to page 6 on this document and read the examiners comment
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/English%20Literature/2013/Exam%20materials/Examiner-report-Unit-1-(6ET01)-June-2014.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ykagabo
Well my teacher is a moderator of exams and also marks exam papers and she told us that so many people do not understand the actual meaning of the poem but if you use evidence to back up your point they cannot really deduct marks because the exam is not purposely trying to trick you, they just want to instil analytical skills and see how you can analyse a poem (they know that you have just seen it, they don't expect you to know everything especially under pressure)

scroll down to page 6 on this document and read the examiners comment
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/English%20Literature/2013/Exam%20materials/Examiner-report-Unit-1-(6ET01)-June-2014.pdf

Thank you so much. You made me feel so much more better about myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by chuckle
Thank you so much. You made me feel so much more better about myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you're welcome:smile:
Reply 10
Does anyone know the minimum raw mark to get an A (last year) for the AS Edexcel English literature paper?

Quick Reply

Latest