Turn on thread page Beta

Will my bad uni grades go against my application to new course? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been on my current chemistry degree for 3 years but since 2nd year I've come to realise how much I disliked most aspects of the course and as a result, I lacked motivation to study and my grades suffered and this problem has continued this year. After much deliberation and realising there was no point persevering with my course when I was clearly unhappy an unmotivated, I spoke to the Head of Teaching in the chemistry department and told her I was dropping out. She explained to me that if I sat my exams this month, even if I failed some (through lack of studying) I could resit in August and walk away with a BSc degree. I have been open and honest with her over the duration of the last two years that the reason for my bad grades was down to severe lack of motivation.

I am currently applying through UCAS to an undergraduate BA(Hons) Social Work course for 2015 entry (to universities will places still available). My school grades meet/surpass the entry requirements to the course and I have relevant work experience as it was a career path I considered years ago. I am usually a highly motivated person, as my school grades show (AAAAA in Scottish Highers and AB at Advanced Higher) but am worried that the grades on my academic transcript (or if my referee - who is my advisor at uni) mentions my uni grades, bad grades in current exams i'm sitting (likely need for resits) or if I get a bad degree classification that it will go against me. I was unsure whether or not to leave out the BSc (with pending result) in the "Education" section on UCAS or not, since I did put in my personal statement that I had previously studied but left the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottishShortiex)
    I've been on my current chemistry degree for 3 years but since 2nd year I've come to realise how much I disliked most aspects of the course and as a result, I lacked motivation to study and my grades suffered and this problem has continued this year. After much deliberation and realising there was no point persevering with my course when I was clearly unhappy an unmotivated, I spoke to the Head of Teaching in the chemistry department and told her I was dropping out. She explained to me that if I sat my exams this month, even if I failed some (through lack of studying) I could resit in August and walk away with a BSc degree. I have been open and honest with her over the duration of the last two years that the reason for my bad grades was down to severe lack of motivation.

I am currently applying through UCAS to an undergraduate BA(Hons) Social Work course for 2015 entry (to universities will places still available). My school grades meet/surpass the entry requirements to the course and I have relevant work experience as it was a career path I considered years ago. I am usually a highly motivated person, as my school grades show (AAAAA in Scottish Highers and AB at Advanced Higher) but am worried that the grades on my academic transcript (or if my referee - who is my advisor at uni) mentions my uni grades, bad grades in current exams i'm sitting (likely need for resits) or if I get a bad degree classification that it will go against me. I was unsure whether or not to leave out the BSc (with pending result) in the "Education" section on UCAS or not, since I did put in my personal statement that I had previously studied but left the course.
    Withholding the fact that you have a degree or have studied nearly to the point of having one will be regarded as a much more serious issue than the grade itself, and universities will regard it as fraudulent. As to whether the grade will affect your chances, well, social work is a competitive course and you can only reasonably expect them to recruit the best candidates for it. They will look at your case on its merits and decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Withholding the fact that you have a degree or have studied nearly to the point of having one will be regarded as a much more serious issue than the grade itself, and universities will regard it as fraudulent. As to whether the grade will affect your chances, well, social work is a competitive course and you can only reasonably expect them to recruit the best candidates for it. They will look at your case on its merits and decide.
    Thanks! I'm hoping the fact that they still have places available this late on means I'm still in with a decent chance. Would it be worth asking my referee, knowing my situation, if he could even mention in the reference that my grades do not reflect my potential/capabilities?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm hoping the fact that they still have places available this late on means I'm still in with a decent chance. Would it be worth asking my referee, knowing my situation, if he could even mention in the reference that my grades do not reflect my potential/capabilities?
    Are you sure there are still places? You have to contact the university directly and ask them, because they don't keep the Extra lists up to date. You certainly need to discuss this with your referee as a matter of courtesy if nothing else, and if you have chosen a sympathetic person, this is the kind of thing they will put in the reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Are you sure there are still places? You have to contact the university directly and ask them, because they don't keep the Extra lists up to date. You certainly need to discuss this with your referee as a matter of courtesy if nothing else, and if you have chosen a sympathetic person, this is the kind of thing they will put in the reference.
    Yeah I emailed them directly to clarify if there were still places, to which they said yes. Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I emailed them directly to clarify if there were still places, to which they said yes. Thanks for your help
    Good. Hope it works out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2015
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.