Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, am I the only one who left this morning exam and felt as if I will fail so bad? I mean, I may have performed much better in class discussions and essay writing but under exam conditions...
    1. Can't start the introductions...
    2. Hard to find the right words...
    3. Time!

Did any one else do Wuthering Heights and The Scarlet Letter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaloJ)
    Gosh, am I the only one who left this morning exam and felt as if I will fail so bad? I mean, I may have performed much better in class discussions and essay writing but under exam conditions...
    3. Time!

Timing is definitely always tight in the English exam!! I also did Wuthering Heights, but my secondary text was The Color Purple. Did you do the 'women and their suffering' question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaloJ)
    3. Time!

I did! I chose to do the suffering questions which I personally felt was better than the second choice. I focussed on the suffering of Catherine due to her decision and social pressure to marry someone of a higher status than Heathcliff. I mentioned parts of her conversation with Nelly (why she should marry linton), her speech at Thrushcross Grange when she wishes to return to her past savage self and her last meeting with Heathcliff. I also made the point that Catherine's outlet for her suffering was physical pain (e.g. she stood out in the rain looking for H, she starved herself at TG, she pulled at Heathcliff's hair and he gave her bruises when they met before she died.) I also said that her suffering would only end when Heathcliff was reunited with her in death and this is why Lockwood encounters Cathy's 'ghost' in the nightmare sequence at the start of the book.

I then briefly talked about Isabella and her suffering when married to Heathcliff. Unlike Catherine, her suffering is a result of other people's pivotal choices and she had very little control (other than the fact that she married H).

At the end of my WH section I explained that Bronte shows the reader that after H's death, Catherine is alleviated of her suffering as her daughter (let's call her Cathy 2.0) is united with Hareton unlike Cathy 1.0 who could never be with Heathcliff whilst she was alive.

For the Scarlet Letter I mentioned that Hester suffered due to her choice to commit adultery (so like Cathy 1.0 she was the cause of her own suffering) but Pearl must suffer being rejected from 'the infantile world' due to her mother's choice. Like Cathy, following her lover's death Hester's suffering ends...

Hopefully this essay was good enough but I was definitely worried when I walked out of the exam as I'm actually in year 11 but our school forces us to take the AS English Lit instead of the iGCSE. That's why I was terrified it would be ten times harder then what we do in lessons haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.