Turn on thread page Beta

No more pancakes for Pancakes.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Exam season is almost over (five days :woo:) and summer is here. I now no longer have the excuse that I have to revise/do homework/ whatever and so can't do exercise, so it's time to get fit.

I want my upper body to be more toned and not have properly defined abs, but to have a strong core. Also, perkier bum (:angelblush:)

Stats:
    Waist: ranges from 24 to 26 inches during the day (depending on how long it's been since I've eaten; I have a fast metabolism and I think maybe this is why it fluctuates so much?)
    Hips: 36 inches
    Chest: 35 inches
    Height: 160.7 cm
    Weight: ranges from 52 kg to 54 kg (ditto to waist)

I'm not interested in changing my stats, I just want to be generally more fit and toned.

I'm a bit scared of going to the gym to lift, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice for beginners starting at home; keep in mind I struggle to take my 3 kg folder in to school every day.

I'm going to run every day; go swimming maybe two or three times a week; and I have yoga and pilates workout DVDs that I'm going to do religiously. Also, this probably sounds really shallow.. but if anyone has any tips for protecting hair from chlorine, that would be much appreciated.

This isn't really a gains thread, just a means of tracking my progress. I feel like having it on here will keep me more motivated .

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into 'Starting Strength'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Have you looked into 'Starting Strength'?

Never heard of it, I will have a look thank you .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Never heard of it, I will have a look thank you .
    Be sure to follow the nutritional advice very closely for maximum benefit

'GOMAD'

ReputationRep:
    Exam season is almost over (five days :woo:) and summer is here. I now no longer have the excuse that I have to revise/do homework/ whatever and so can't do exercise, so it's time to get fit.

I want my upper body to be more toned and not have properly defined abs, but to have a strong core. Also, perkier bum (:angelblush:)

Stats:
    Waist: ranges from 24 to 26 inches during the day (depending on how long it's been since I've eaten; I have a fast metabolism and I think maybe this is why it fluctuates so much?)
    Hips: 36 inches
    Chest: 35 inches
    Height: 160.7 cm
    Weight: ranges from 52 kg to 54 kg (ditto to waist)

I'm not interested in changing my stats, I just want to be generally more fit and toned.

I'm a bit scared of going to the gym to lift, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice for beginners starting at home; keep in mind I struggle to take my 3 kg folder in to school every day.

I'm going to run every day; go swimming maybe two or three times a week; and I have yoga and pilates workout DVDs that I'm going to do religiously. Also, this probably sounds really shallow.. but if anyone has any tips for protecting hair from chlorine, that would be much appreciated.

This isn't really a gains thread, just a means of tracking my progress. I feel like having it on here will keep me more motivated .
    Can confirm, pancakes does not have a pancake bootay :sexface:

Remember when we said we'll do the squat challenge together? Should so do that. I've already started doing my squats, using weights (they're so heavy omfg, even though they're are like 2.5kg in total.) and I only do 20 a day :mmm:

There was a website G sent me, you should ask him for it. It was super helpful and full of information for beginners.

About the chlorine protection, I'm sure there are shampoo's/products that can be used after..

Good luck :lovehug:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)

Remember when we said we'll do the squat challenge together? Should so do that. I've already started doing my squats, using weights (they're so heavy omfg, even though they're are like 2.5kg in total.) and I only do 20 a day :mmm:

There was a website G sent me, you should ask him for it. It was super helpful and full of information for beginners.

About the chlorine protection, I'm sure there are shampoo's/products that can be used after..

*wipes tear from eye*

ReputationRep:
    *wipes tear from eye*
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO heavy :cry2:
    But they're getting better, much easier. I'll increase soon.

To be fair, I hold the weights up like this:

And my arm strength is like ... close to 0 and you know this because you always lol at my arms :unimpressed:

Goodluck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)

:teehee:

Ooo yes, I will so do squats with weights.. the squat challenge is so long though - 225 squats by the end. Ain't nobody got time for that :hoppy:.

Because my hair is curly it dries out so fast and goes really frizzy, so I'm really scared of exposing it to chlorine, I might have a look around for some sort of mask that I can apply before/after.

Thank youuu hopefully I can remain motivated enough to actually do this :angelblush:

Be sure to follow the nutritional advice very closely for maximum benefit

'GOMAD'

I think I will start at home first and then do this at the gym when I feel confident enough. I don't have a barbell or anything at home so don't have the means of doing it yet

(Original post by Black Cat)
    Goodluck
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    :teehee:

Ooo yes, I will so do squats with weights.. the squat challenge is so long though - 225 squats by the end. Ain't nobody got time for that :hoppy:.
    True it is long but it gets super easy :3

No worries cheeky bum

ReputationRep:
    Good luck :bigsmile::love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    Good luck :bigsmile::love:
    Thank you :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    I know this is delayed, but I got a cheap set of 50kg weights (masses!) with barbell to start at home. Went straight in with compound lifts and some accessory stuff and then hit the gym when I was more confident and knew I could handle the barbell and plates - made a lot more progress there but enjoyed starting at home.

Haven't done any lifting in ages, but I did by 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' and get help from guys on here. Enjoyed it! Might actually dig that barbell out now I'm home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I know this is delayed, but I got a cheap set of 50kg weights (masses!) with barbell to start at home. Went straight in with compound lifts and some accessory stuff and then hit the gym when I was more confident and knew I could handle the barbell and plates - made a lot more progress there but enjoyed starting at home.

Haven't done any lifting in ages, but I did by 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' and get help from guys on here. Enjoyed it! Might actually dig that barbell out now I'm home!
    My trolling aside this is good advice

also, buy a rubber swim hat

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I thought at first this thread title was No more pancakes for Pakistan :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    glhf pancakes.

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=NDj-HqI2YT8

zyzz legacy continues <3

ReputationRep:
    As she hasn't updated this thread for a while, I assume that Pancakes still has pancakes.

ReputationRep:
    i think that unless you have something positive or encouraging to say you shouldn't say anything at all

for all we know she's been killing it running/swimming etc, just hasn't found it necessary/the time to update this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I know this is delayed, but I got a cheap set of 50 kg weights (masses!) with barbell to start at home. Went straight in with compound lifts and some accessory stuff and then hit the gym when I was more confident and knew I could handle the barbell and plates - made a lot more progress there but enjoyed starting at home.

Thank you, I will absolutely have a look at that. Atm I think 50 kg might be a bit of a stretch ( ), but I will try to build it up when I start.

My hair doesn't fit in a swim hat..

(Original post by Damien_Dalgaard)
    glhf pancakes.

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=NDj-HqI2YT8

zyzz legacy continues <3
    Thank you :3

Don't think I'll ever get as buff as Zyzz tho.

(Original post by Josb)
    As she hasn't updated this thread for a while, I assume that Pancakes still has pancakes.
    Pancakes hasn't had pancakes for a while :teehee:

I haven't started yet, but this is because of medical reasons. I am having blood tests for anaemia tomorrow and my doctor said possibility of ME.. I thought the tiredness was only because of exams, but it's continued :cry2:. Nevertheless, I have been eating a lot healthier; haven't had chocolate in time and I just got a puppy and have been trying to run with him on top of the hour walks I do everyday with the dogs anyway.

(Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    i think that unless you have something positive or encouraging to say you shouldn't say anything at all

for all we know she's been killing it running/swimming etc, just hasn't found it necessary/the time to update this thread
    Thanks .

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.