The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 10studentlife
How do you know?

That's only for the AQA board apparently.

also, looks like we can rule out Curley's Wife out now!
OMG GREAT FFS wow curley's wife and prejudice basically are ruled out now after jan 2015 paper
Original post by ladyrailly
That's only for the AQA board apparently.

also, looks like we can rule out Curley's Wife out now!

How would you know anyway
Guess who's freaking out and cramming last minute revision right now. Meeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Original post by 10studentlife
How would you know anyway

Someone said a few pages back about how Curley's going to come up & then said that they got the info from an AQA source. And Curley came up for WJEC in 2013 anyway.

& Curley's wife can apparently be ruled out due to the post on the previous page saying that she was on the jan 2015 paper :smile:
Reply 265
Original post by a456
That's very true. Thank you.

I personally don't think Lennie could be blamed, because he isn't fully aware and in control of his own strength.
I also think Curley is partially to blame because if he treated his wife better she wouldn't have to be looking for company.
I also think that maybe Curley's wife herself is responsible for her own death, as maybe even though she is lonely she should of been more careful and aware of Lennie. After all, she knew what he had done to Curley's hand and she knew what he had done to the puppy. Maybe she was simply too naive?
Or maybe it was just the 1930s American society that is to blame.

I'm not really sure myself, I just thought it could be a possible question, and I'm not sure who I would choose.

I agree that Lennie is not to blame for the same reason you have used. There is also foreshadowing of his unpredictable strength . I also agree Curley is partly blame for the same reason. However, I disagree that Curley's wife is to blame. As you have said she has been mistreated and so is lonely and isolated. She seeks company(real company) and she enjoys the company of Lennie. She may and should have been aware of Lennie's strength your right, but Lennie hasn't done anything as drastic to kill someone, especially as Curley's wife hasn't done anything drastically wrong to him. Therefore, I believe Curley's wife isn't to blame. Personally,I think no one is to blame truthfully and even if Curley had treated her better she may have still came into contact with Lennie as a friend and it still wouldn't have prevented his unpredictable strength. But from an essay based perspective and if I had to chose a character to blame most I would have to say Curley.

I believe that Candy or Curley's wife will come up tomorrow as they haven't ever before and I think the theme question will be based on the idea of loneliness
Does anyone have any tips for quickly answering the extract question (WJEC)? I feel as if planning the answer and reading the extract takes too much time, but not planning before writing the answer just makes my answer bad. Does anyone know if plans be written in the answer book?
Can anyone else offer some points for Candy then? (or give me a page where someone's answered this) :P

So far I have the fact that he's handicapped (and link this in with discrimination/prejudice), his dog being shot and linking this with loneliness and about the American dream. Anything else guys?
Hi everybody, im doing the WJEC board tomorrow, any prediction on the characters

its so urgent
Reply 269
Original post by rdj24
I agree that Lennie is not to blame for the same reason you have used. There is also foreshadowing of his unpredictable strength . I also agree Curley is partly blame for the same reason. However, I disagree that Curley's wife is to blame. As you have said she has been mistreated and so is lonely and isolated. She seeks company(real company) and she enjoys the company of Lennie. She may and should have been aware of Lennie's strength your right, but Lennie hasn't done anything as drastic to kill someone, especially as Curley's wife hasn't done anything drastically wrong to him. Therefore, I believe Curley's wife isn't to blame. Personally,I think no one is to blame truthfully and even if Curley had treated her better she may have still came into contact with Lennie as a friend and it still wouldn't have prevented his unpredictable strength. But from an essay based perspective and if I had to chose a character to blame most I would have to say Curley.

I believe that Candy or Curley's wife will come up tomorrow as they haven't ever before and I think the theme question will be based on the idea of loneliness

Curleys wife was in January 2015
Reply 270
Original post by archipelaglobule
Does anyone have any tips for quickly answering the extract question (WJEC)? I feel as if planning the answer and reading the extract takes too much time, but not planning before writing the answer just makes my answer bad. Does anyone know if plans be written in the answer book?

I have been told you should use between 10-12 quotes from the extract, they don't have to be massive sentences, just key words or phrases would be enough. You should really prepare, I have been told to spend 5 of the 20 mins of the extract planning, and around 5-10 mins planning of the 40 mins for the essay, so around 30-35 mins writing time which I feel is enough. I am equally confused about whether we just write it in the actual booklet, or if we are given a sheet separate, can anyone shine a light on this?
WJEC BOARD exam tomorrow character predictions and chances/probability of coming up
Reply 272

annotate the extract for 5 minutes with short phrases only a couple of words. (i.e if It asks about mood and atmosphere annotate with 'hostile mood'). You now have 15 minutes. First, place the extract(say where in the novel it is happening(i.e just after George and Lennie enter the bunkhouse).Then write an overarching sentence on the extract(i.e Overall, in this extract Steinbeck creates an atmosphere of hopelessness). Then track through the extract making key points (aim for 9 or 10) just incase. Make a short analysis for each point(i.e Steinbeck creates a hopelessness or sympathetic mood when Lennie says 'now George aint gonna let me tend no rabbits'. 'George aint' suggests George is controlling and dictates the dream and perhaps suggests Lennie is afraid of George. And do that 9 or 10 times for the full 10 marks. Hope that helped. Just watch the clock carefully and make sure you start Writing your essay at least after 20 minutes(you need time to read the question and plan) Good luck
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 273
Original post by Jayzaa
I have been told you should use between 10-12 quotes from the extract, they don't have to be massive sentences, just key words or phrases would be enough. You should really prepare, I have been told to spend 5 of the 20 mins of the extract planning, and around 5-10 mins planning of the 40 mins for the essay, so around 30-35 mins writing time which I feel is enough. I am equally confused about whether we just write it in the actual booklet, or if we are given a sheet separate, can anyone shine a light on this?

I am not too sure either but I think we get sheets of paper (I got that for my moc) however I am not completely sure

Well I really would recommend reading through the extract at least once. I'm not sure if we can highlight the paper, but if we can then highlight anything you think could be useful as you go through it, and try to highlight and annotate 10 things (ask your teacher beforehand to make sure you can highlight and stuff though)

Other than that there's not much else you can do, because we just don't know what'll come up. Although if you honestly have no idea, write something anyway. Even if you think it's a stupid idea or you're repeating yourself - write it down. You might get marks for it. I did that on an About A Boy mock and got 9/10 on it, even though I thought I was repeating myself :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
oh my god, before you ask about predictions can you please look through the whole thread, they are all there!
Reply 276
Original post by maxterry
WJEC BOARD exam tomorrow character predictions and chances/probability of coming up

'
Character question: Curley's wife or Candy
Theme question: something to do with loneliness
Thank you !! ( WJEC ) what about slim ???
Reply 278
Original post by Ruthie2267
Well I really would recommend reading through the extract at least once. I'm not sure if we can highlight the paper, but if we can then highlight anything you think could be useful as you go through it, and try to highlight and annotate 10 things (ask your teacher beforehand to make sure you can highlight and stuff though)

Other than that there's not much else you can do, because we just don't know what'll come up. Although if you honestly have no idea, write something anyway. Even if you think it's a stupid idea or you're repeating yourself - write it down. You might get marks for it. I did that on an About A Boy mock and got 9/10 on it, even though I thought I was repeating myself :smile:

I think you can use a highlighter on the extract text, however you cant use it to highlight anything you have written in your answer, although I don't know why you'd want to do that anyway lol
Reply 279
Original post by shrl0
Curleys wife was in January 2015

what exam board are you talking about? WJEC? if you are talking about WJEC they haven't released any 2015 papers on their website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending