The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Hope animals comes up as the theme
Well the weather where I am certainly matches my mood: glum, grey and crying :wink:)

But seriously guys: guys luck to everyone - you'll all do absolutely fine :smile:
Does anyone have any a* bits of analyse that I could try and get into my essay for tkam??
Guess who predicted Aunt Alexandra would come up? :cool: hahahaha :smile:
I think that was alright to be honest, I struggled a little on the second poem though..
Original post by electrahearts
Guess who predicted Aunt Alexandra would come up? :cool: hahahaha :smile:
I think that was alright to be honest, I struggled a little on the second poem though..

You saved my grade. Thank you so much :redface:
Original post by Steliata
You saved my grade. Thank you so much :redface:

Wha are you serious?? I'm so glad you did well, well done!! :biggrin:
It's over! I'm relieved. Candy came up and I'm actually quite glad, I think I wrote enough.

Poetry on the other hand was not a delight....
Original post by jxssamy
It's over! I'm relieved. Candy came up and I'm actually quite glad, I think I wrote enough.

Same here! Did you say where the extract was from in the 10 mark question?
Original post by electrahearts
Wha are you serious?? I'm so glad you did well, well done!! :biggrin:

I don't know how well I did but your prediction made me read the Aunt Alexandra bits, and then when I went in I'd just read them! I felt like the stars were smiling on me :smile:

Original post by jxssamy

Oh my gosh, it was so hard to interpret! I get the feeling I've taken a really wacky approach with it :s-smilie:
I found the poetry quite easy? Which is making me think I've done something wrong... :L
I don't think I wrote enough for the second poem though, and I found it harder to write about than the first.

Kudos to anyone who predicted Candy as the OMAM character question!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Steliata
I don't know how well I did but your prediction made me read the Aunt Alexandra bits, and then when I went in I'd just read them! I felt like the stars were smiling on me :smile:

ahh really that's so lucky! :tongue:
I think the poetry was pretty alright guys apart from it was BORINGGGH like why would we want to spend an hour comparing nature poems:colonhash: ugh
That was okay... okay.

That extract was torture. Mood and atmosphere? HOW?! I made up something about how it's peaceful and happy at the start and then more serious towards the end. I probably got like, 3 on that question.

Essay question... Wow.
First of all, I'd only revised themes. We were under the impression there would be a theme question, a character question and/or a "creative option".
1(c) I had no idea how to answer that and structure it. Something we hadn't been taught. I had to do Candy..
Here were my points (brief):
-- Represents the negative attitudes towards age and disability in 1930s America - Through the use of "old swamper" Steinbeck shows this to the reader as soon as we meet Candy
-- Candy's Dog represents Candy's fate - Becoming too old and therefore useless and penniless.
-- Candy represents loneliness (through being an outsider) and dreams being crushed - Things which most ranch workers experienced in 1930s America (plus some extra context info I won't bother you with)

Then... The poems.
They were actually alright, what threw me was the lack of paragraphing help that they've had in previous years (thankfully someone on here said that may happen this year, leading to me revising it before the exam) - Most of my year suffered greatly with the loss of that, our teachers did not say that MAY happen, they said they'd be there.
The poems were okay. The first one, I talked about how it was positive nature, and how it's repetitive and on-going, whereas the second was negative, portraying nature as being dangerous and wanting to reverse what man has done...

Now I'm worried about Paper 2. Found out today that it's worth 5% more than today's paper is....
Anyone doing Never Let Me Go?
(edited 8 years ago)
Guess who thought Candy would come up!!!!! I actually think I did a bit of a happy dance in my chair when I saw it. Did around 8 points for that.

Extract question was awful but I remembered to put where it was from & probably got about 7 or 8/9 points that I did. Did about two sides.

Poetry wasn't too difficult but it wasn't easy. I'd say it was a nice challenge & I wrote about three sides for it. What did you guys put for the structure? I couldn't find one for the first poem but the second I thought was partly trochaic trimeter... :s
Also (can't edit on mobile) literally everyone apart from about 3 people including me in my class did c). Can't blame them, that was an excellent theme question, I think we were lucky with that this year, but I had revised Candy loads so
any predictions for a view from the bridge or a christmas carol whole texts?
Original post by ladyrailly
Guess who thought Candy would come up!!!!! I actually think I did a bit of a happy dance in my chair when I saw it. Did around 8 points for that.

Extract question was awful but I remembered to put where it was from & probably got about 7 or 8/9 points that I did. Did about two sides.

Poetry wasn't too difficult but it wasn't easy. I'd say it was a nice challenge & I wrote about three sides for it. What did you guys put for the structure? I couldn't find one for the first poem but the second I thought was partly trochaic trimeter... :s

How did you manage to get so many points down? Do you think you could give me an example?

I only used 4 quotations but made the points in detail. There was more to say but I didn't have the time.
Original post by MissPlaying
That was okay... okay.

That extract was torture. Mood and atmosphere? HOW?! I made up something about how it's peaceful and happy at the start and then more serious towards the end. I probably got like, 3 on that question.

Essay question... Wow.
First of all, I'd only revised themes. We were under the impression there would be a theme question, a character question and/or a "creative option".
1(c) I had no idea how to answer that and structure it. Something we hadn't been taught. I had to do Candy..
Here were my points (brief):
-- Represents the negative attitudes towards age and disability in 1930s America - Through the use of "old swamper" Steinbeck shows this to the reader as soon as we meet Candy
-- Candy's Dog represents Candy's fate - Becoming too old and therefore useless and penniless.
-- Candy represents loneliness (through being an outsider) and dreams being crushed - Things which most ranch workers experienced in 1930s America (plus some extra context info I won't bother you with)

Then... The poems.
They were actually alright, what threw me was the lack of paragraphing help that they've had in previous years (thankfully someone on here said that may happen this year, leading to me revising it before the exam) - Most of my year suffered greatly with the loss of that, our teachers did not say that MAY happen, they said they'd be there.
The poems were okay. The first one, I talked about how it was positive nature, and how it's repetitive and on-going, whereas the second was negative, portraying nature as being dangerous and wanting to reverse what man has done...

Now I'm worried about Paper 2. Found out today that it's worth 5% more than today's paper is....
Anyone doing Never Let Me Go?

I wrote roughly the same thing
:yes:
After leaving the exam, my friend and I analysed the poem on his phone and we kinda thought about how the lilacs were probably a portrayal of female prostitution. Think about it, the cracked, isolated alleyways. The men on the phones and also the flesh and cash? Which probably links to human trafficking and how female 'flesh' is bought with cash. In addition, it mentioned that love is not a distinction for the lilacs. I just wish I wrote this in my exam. My exam went so terrible. :frown:
lol don't worry, i wrote about butterflies! lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending