The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aliceporter
I think they are the only characters that could come up, I had a sheet with all the past questions on but I lost it! I thought would be slim as well. Candy wasn't so bad though.

I have a sheet with all the past questions on from An Inspector Calls so I'll attach a picture of that for you and see if you can deduce what questions might come up!ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431980319.196369.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1431980340.821839.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

that second one on the 2013 paper was ideal!

But wow I wish my teacher gave us stuff like this

Looking at the past papers, I think Sheila has a good chance of coming up, seeing as the last time she was even mentioned in a question was 2010. Mr or Mrs Birling could come up because they've only been up as empathy questions in the past couple of years, but idk if that would mean they wouldn't appear or not.
Obviously we can rule the Inspector out, as well as social responsibility and truth and lies as themes

Perhaps young vs old could come up as a theme?

Do you think we could get relationship questions for AIC, e.g. the relationship between Eric and Mr Birling and things like that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sonia101
Anyone else notice they didn't give us the bullet points for unseen poetry..?

Yep, the new changes in the 'strenghtened' spec
Original post by gcses2015
Yes I did! I was wondering where are the bullet points. They did this for the first time.

Does that mean they have changed the mark scheme a bit? I never wrote about mood and atmosphere (like specifically mention the type of mood/atmosphere) :frown:
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
Yep, the new changes in the 'strenghtened' spec

Does that mean they have changed the mark scheme a bit? I never wrote about mood and atmosphere (like specifically mention the type of mood/atmosphere)
Original post by Ruthie2267
that second one on the 2013 paper was ideal!

But wow I wish my teacher gave us stuff like this

Looking at the past papers, I think Sheila has a good chance of coming up, seeing as the last time she was even mentioned in a question was 2010. Mr or Mrs Birling could come up because they've only been up as empathy questions in the past couple of years, but idk if that would mean they wouldn't appear or not.
Obviously we can rule the Inspector out, as well as social responsibility and truth and lies as themes

Do you think we could get relationship questions for AIC, e.g. the relationship between Eric and Mr Birling and things like that?

Yeah, this was pretty useful and everyone in my class wrote an essay for each one and I have a booklet of them all so hopefully the question that comes up in the exam is one that I have read/wrote before.

I agree! I think relationship questions unlikely unless they could maybe do one on the relationship between Sheila and Gerald or Eric and Mr Birling? I'm not sure though because that would be difficult. I like the questions that are on themes the best or 'Give the actor advice' questions and one of these question hasn't been up since 2012 and as they are such popular questions, I think this is likely to come up. Maybe 'Give advice to the actor playing Mrs Birling' as a question on her hasn't come up in a while either.

At least it's pretty certain that mood and atmosphere is ruled out for the first part of the AIC questions because of that was the question last year!
Original post by littleheron
Does that mean they have changed the mark scheme a bit? I never wrote about mood and atmosphere (like specifically mention the type of mood/atmosphere)

Well yes and no. I don't think they've changed the mark scheme for the extract but definitely for the essay. It's a lot more context based now. Well remember the question asked how, so by mentioning devices, you should be fine
Yeah, this was pretty useful and everyone in my class wrote an essay for each one and I have a booklet of them all so hopefully the question that comes up in the exam is one that I have read/wrote before.

I agree! I think relationship questions unlikely unless they could maybe do one on the relationship between Sheila and Gerald or Eric and Mr Birling? I'm not sure though because that would be difficult. I like the questions that are on themes the best or 'Give the actor advice' questions and one of these question hasn't been up since 2012 and as they are such popular questions, I think this is likely to come up. Maybe 'Give advice to the actor playing Mrs Birling' as a question on her hasn't come up in a while either.

At least it's pretty certain that mood and atmosphere is ruled out for the first part of the AIC questions because of that was the question last year!

Thank the lord!

You like the actor questions?? I absolutely detest them. I think I'll cry if one of those comes up. How on earth do you answer them??
Thank the lord!

You like the actor questions?? I absolutely detest them. I think I'll cry if one of those comes up. How on earth do you answer them??

Actor ones are great. It is basically just asking how would you portray character x. You talk about the things they do, and then just say something like 'so the actor would have to be sexy' something like that...
Actor ones are great. It is basically just asking how would you portray character x. You talk about the things they do, and then just say something like 'so the actor would have to be sexy' something like that...

I just don't think I'd be able to answer it :L I'd end up turning it into a 'how is -- presented question' instead of offering advice to the actor >.<
When is the results day, i am eager to know.I found of mice and mean easy ,but the poetry question was just so stupid
Im not looking forward to friday ,as i am studying About a boy and An inspector calls.Can anyone kindly give their notes to me for About a boy please?
I just don't think I'd be able to answer it :L I'd end up turning it into a 'how is -- presented question' instead of offering advice to the actor >.<

I know, it's an easy trap to fall into
Reply 651
I don't understand why people are concerned with what poems actually mean. Everyone can interpret the poems differently. The importance of having these exams is, can you actually back up your view with evidence and comment on the language. As long as you have compared the poems, and discussed which one creates an affect on you and have analysed the poems in a lot detail, you will eventually get higher than 13 marks or above. It doesn't really matter what the poem is suggesting - examiners are marking the quality of your written communication and whether you can basically prove your point to them.

Of Mice and Men, however is different. You do need to get something right and comment on the historical context. I wrote 2.5 pages based on Candy, and some other people preferred the theme question but I simply like focusing on one character. Luckily, I revised for that character and was hoping him to come up, so that was beneficial. Hopefully I'll get 16 marks or above in that essay question.

Extract question - I usually don't prefer mood and atmosphere question but it was pretty obvious that they were going to put it because they have asked so many question on characters previously. It was alright, I might have lost a few marks here and there but I have included 10 quotes in there, so hoping to get 8 marks or above.

The exam was pretty well. I was worried about the character question, but it was good. Now I have a Geography exam and after that, I'll have to prepare myself for the Literature Unit 2b exam on A View From the Bridge and Lord of the Flies.
Reply 652
WHAT IS THIS ABOUT PROSTITUTION AND DRUGS????? i literally just wrote about how the nature was pretty nd beautiful in the first poem but in the next poem it looked like the bad guy.... is this even right??? idek, i hate poetry. at least ill never have to do it again
Thank the lord!

They're really not as hard as they seem. You basically just need to pick a few aspects of the characters personality and describe how they are portrayed throughout the script and then just add on the end how the actor could show this.

So, for example you could say Sheila is 'silly' and then a give a few examples of how she's silly and then just say the actor would portray this personality trait by giggling constantly.

That was a pretty basic point but you get the idea! It's only really asking you to talk about the character but I suppose this is just a nice way to phrase this. Adding how they would do it only needs to be a sentence at the end of every paragraph.

But, I hope a theme question comes up because the themes are so evident that a question on them would be ideal!
All main about a boy quptes here
HAHAHA! This is like one of my favourite vines and out of all the places they've been used, this is the best. A* for that comment

haha thanks :tongue:
They're really not as hard as they seem. You basically just need to pick a few aspects of the characters personality and describe how they are portrayed throughout the script and then just add on the end how the actor could show this.

So, for example you could say Sheila is 'silly' and then a give a few examples of how she's silly and then just say the actor would portray this personality trait by giggling constantly.

That was a pretty basic point but you get the idea! It's only really asking you to talk about the character but I suppose this is just a nice way to phrase this. Adding how they would do it only needs to be a sentence at the end of every paragraph.

But, I hope a theme question comes up because the themes are so evident that a question on them would be ideal!

If you're revising themes in An Inspector Calls these revision cards may help
An Inspector calls.JPG

There's actually loads of TSR resources on An Inspector Calls and they're all free now - check this search result.

Let me know if they're helpful.
Original post by Hai...
WHAT IS THIS ABOUT PROSTITUTION AND DRUGS????? i literally just wrote about how the nature was pretty nd beautiful in the first poem but in the next poem it looked like the bad guy.... is this even right??? idek, i hate poetry. at least ill never have to do it again

I done the same thing!
Original post by PawanAviator
I done the same thing!

Wat ya doing fit Friday what text

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asad_2015
Wat ya doing fit Friday what text

Posted from TSR Mobile

A view from the bridge and christmas carol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending