The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wannabe_lawyer
In my school we've focused so much on AIC and OMAM that I hardly know anything about heroes :frown:

Same don't worry I hardly know anything about heroes and there arnt many past papers to practice with😓
Original post by RebeccaHollins
How many quotes would you say we need for the 20 mark essay question?

Make about 3/5 different points on the question, for each point, include about 2 quotations for each one. Good luck!:smile:
Original post by katebeckett
Im doing OMAM, Lord of the Flies and Blood Brothers. Btw what type of question would they ask if Curely comes up? Im so confused on what to write for/about him? Help pleaaaseeee!

The question would say 'How is Curley important to the novel as a whole?'
'What do you think of Curley and the way he is presented?'
Something along those lines
When writing about Curley mention his hands (boxing, 'glove's fulla vaseline', the fight 'flopping', how he threatens George and Lennie's job at the ranch, and how he is one of the major reasons for Curley's Wife and Lennie's death, because he isolates his wife which drives her to her death. Good luck in your exam:smile:
Original post by Sianey123
Same don't worry I hardly know anything about heroes and there arnt many past papers to practice with

I know now quotes and generally about Larry and Francis but I have a feeling more obscure themes/characters are going to come up :/
If anyone knows where past examples of A/A* essay Q answers/unseen poetry comparisons (WJEC) can be found it would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by electrahearts
Is anyone else here doing to kill a mockingbird? I swear our school is like the only one doing it

Original post by tryrevise
Anyone else doing OMAM, A View from the Bridge and Lord of the Flies?

Original post by hael468
I'm doing To kill a mocking bird, lord of the flies and the history boys(I haven't heard of anyone doing this a the play, and theres barely anything online about it which is frustrating.

I'm doing To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies and The History Boys... I feel really unsure about it, my teacher hasn't given us any quotes to learn! And to hael468, seems like nobody does resources for THB, it's so annoying :angry:
i'm so confused as i do lord of the flies, oman and blood brothers. As wjec have changed how they word the questions to make them more context based for oman and blood brothers.
so my teachers believe curleys wife wont come up as that was the example they sent out so it can only be crooks really as he's the only other character who is context based as candy there's not enough to write a whole essay about

There's nothing online for blood brothers or no revision guide (ive ordered a cgp one but its not going to come until after exam now) so how is everyone revising?
Steliata, i know, it's so annoying, i don't know why our teacher would pick the history boys over something like inspecter calls, where theres so many revision guides for it! My teacher is so crap, didn't give us anything or any quotes to learn either!

Ive heard spark notes is good, ill see if they do stuff on the history boys.

Does anyone have any ideas as to questions for to kill a mocking bird? Everyone here seems to be doing of mice and men :frown:
Original post by sophiee_thomas
i'm so confused as i do lord of the flies, oman and blood brothers. As wjec have changed how they word the questions to make them more context based for oman and blood brothers.
so my teachers believe curleys wife wont come up as that was the example they sent out so it can only be crooks really as he's the only other character who is context based as candy there's not enough to write a whole essay about

There's nothing online for blood brothers or no revision guide (ive ordered a cgp one but its not going to come until after exam now) so how is everyone revising?

I'm doing the same exam as you with Blood Brothers, Lord of the Flies and omam. With Blood Brothers I mainly used the student room and BBC Bitesize.
With Candy you can mention throughout the essay that he represents how disabled and old people were treated during the 1930's. You could say about his views on women through him calling Curley's Wife a 'tart', and he casually uses racist references when describing Crooks, so there is a few things you can mention when talking about Candy. Remember the whole essay does not have to be about context, so you can only mention a thing of the things that come under the question.
I have been told to mention context when writing the Lord of the Flies essay, with this you can mention Golding's experience at war, etc. Good look for your exam
Original post by katebeckett
Im doing OMAM, Lord of the Flies and Blood Brothers. Btw what type of question would they ask if Curely comes up? Im so confused on what to write for/about him? Help pleaaaseeee!

'How is Curley important to the novel as a whole?'
What do you think of Curley and the way he's presented?'
- Represent social injustice at the ranch 'won't ever get canned 'cause his old man's the boss'
- Threatens the idea of the dream farm by nearly getting George and Lennie 'canned' due to the fight with Lennie.
- One of the major reasons that Curley's Wife and Lennie dies, due to him isolating his wife, and sharing a loveless marriage for her. If Curley did not react in such an aggressive and vengeful way then maybe George would not feel the need to have killed Lennie.
Original post by hael468
Steliata, i know, it's so annoying, i don't know why our teacher would pick the history boys over something like inspecter calls, where theres so many revision guides for it! My teacher is so crap, didn't give us anything or any quotes to learn either!

Does anyone have any ideas as to questions for to kill a mocking bird? Everyone here seems to be doing of mice and men :frown:

I love the play and it's less confusing because you can relate it all back to education. In terms of characters it's rather black and white - Hector vs Irwin, truth vs spin, farce vs satire, old vs new etc. There is unlikely to be a question based on homosexuality or paedophilia because the Daily Mail would have a field day which simplifies things slightly. I haven't done much prep for that exam though, I'm planning to do that on Wednesday and Thursday.
Original post by rhiannonj98
I'm doing the same exam as you with Blood Brothers, Lord of the Flies and omam. With Blood Brothers I mainly used the student room and BBC Bitesize.
With Candy you can mention throughout the essay that he represents how disabled and old people were treated during the 1930's. You could say about his views on women through him calling Curley's Wife a 'tart', and he casually uses racist references when describing Crooks, so there is a few things you can mention when talking about Candy. Remember the whole essay does not have to be about context, so you can only mention a thing of the things that come under the question.
I have been told to mention context when writing the Lord of the Flies essay, with this you can mention Golding's experience at war, etc. Good look for your exam

okay thanks thats really helped as i hadnt though about him using racism or status of women
Yeah we have been told the same for lord of the flies, but we dont have to refer to it as much as they have only changed the style of questions for bb and oman
I know WJEC have made the questions more context-focus, but does anyone know how much context we actually need to include in them? And for a character in OMAM like Slim, what sort of things could you say?
Original post by Ruthie2267
I know WJEC have made the questions more context-focus, but does anyone know how much context we actually need to include in them? And for a character in OMAM like Slim, what sort of things could you say?

WJEC edited their marking schemes or something (don't have a source apart from my teacher saying it) to basically say that we need to include quite a bit of context. But I think they'd prefer for us to elaborate on one particular part of context rather than loads of different things (e.g just focus on The American Dream and the Great Depression era in America, but not include that along with the Utilitarian theory & the Marxist theory with little backing up the latter two).

& for Slim you could say:

- he's godlike, being described as "ageless" and "understanding beyond thought"
- he's treated like royalty (kind of like showing the rare good members of the hierarchy in opposition to Curley, though I just thought of that now, don't know if it's a valid point) - through use of the words "majesty", "royalty" (quite obvious there) and "master"
- he represents the Utilitarian theory, especially when dealing with the pups & when talking to Candy saying "I wisht somebody'd shoot me if I get old an' a cripple"

Also if your real name matches your username, we have the same name :biggrin:
Original post by ladyrailly
WJEC edited their marking schemes or something (don't have a source apart from my teacher saying it) to basically say that we need to include quite a bit of context. But I think they'd prefer for us to elaborate on one particular part of context rather than loads of different things (e.g just focus on The American Dream and the Great Depression era in America, but not include that along with the Utilitarian theory & the Marxist theory with little backing up the latter two).

& for Slim you could say:

- he's godlike, being described as "ageless" and "understanding beyond thought"
- he's treated like royalty (kind of like showing the rare good members of the hierarchy in opposition to Curley, though I just thought of that now, don't know if it's a valid point) - through use of the words "majesty", "royalty" (quite obvious there) and "master"
- he represents the Utilitarian theory, especially when dealing with the pups & when talking to Candy saying "I wisht somebody'd shoot me if I get old an' a cripple"

Also if your real name matches your username, we have the same name :biggrin:

Thank you! As you can probably tell, I'm panicking about the exam on Monday. We haven't done much class work on Of Mice and Men except for a controlled assessment, but that was about Crooks who came up in a paper a year or two back I think? So not much chance of him being the focus of the question :frown:

Hopefully my controlled assessment marks will pull up my grade if I do too badly!

Yeah, Ruth's my real name, but sometimes it gets lengthened to Ruthie (although only my dad does it really). So hi-five! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ruthie2267
Thank you! As you can probably tell, I'm panicking about the exam on Monday. We haven't done much class work on Of Mice and Men except for a controlled assessment, but that was about Crooks who came up in a paper a year or two back I think? So not much chance of him being the focus of the question :frown:

Hopefully my controlled assessment marks will pull up my grade if I do too badly!

Yeah, Ruth's my real name, but sometimes it gets lengthened to Ruthie (although only my dad does it really). So hi-five! :smile:

Actually same, my dad lengthens mine to Ruthie too :eek:

And same too - our teacher pretty much stopped all Of Mice and Men after year 10 because we did our assessment at the end of that year. Then she started it up again like two weeks ago. -_- And we did our CA on Crooks too! We're practically twins.

Depending on what type of learner you are (visual, auditory or kinaesthetic) you can make yourself panic less by revising! Quotes are the most important thing so get those memorised because you can always do analysis in the exam on the spot if you have to. My teacher said to learn about 10-12 quotes for each topic but some of the quotes can span over different themes & characters so it's always good to learn those! I also found that going on YouTube and watching videos really helped. Two really good channels are MrBruff and The English Teacher :smile:

I'd revise Slim, Candy, and Curley the most if I were you because they haven't come up, but always revise the others just in case. In the exam, I don't know if you've noticed from past papers, but they always give you a choice in the essay question between a character question and a theme question. If you're more confident with themes either revise that loads & choose that or revise characters more because then you'll be confident on both ^_^

I have no idea if you know all this so maybe I'm just regurgitating information, I have no idea :redface:
Original post by hael468

I'm doing mockingbird! I think it could be Aunt Alexandra or Miss Maudie, maybe Jem
Original post by ladyrailly
Actually same, my dad lengthens mine to Ruthie too :eek:And same too - our teacher pretty much stopped all Of Mice and Men after year 10 because we did our assessment at the end of that year. Then she started it up again like two weeks ago. -_- And we did our CA on Crooks too! We're practically twins.Depending on what type of learner you are (visual, auditory or kinaesthetic) you can make yourself panic less by revising! Quotes are the most important thing so get those memorised because you can always do analysis in the exam on the spot if you have to. My teacher said to learn about 10-12 quotes for each topic but some of the quotes can span over different themes & characters so it's always good to learn those! I also found that going on YouTube and watching videos really helped. Two really good channels are MrBruff and The English Teacher :smile:I'd revise Slim, Candy, and Curley the most if I were you because they haven't come up, but always revise the others just in case. In the exam, I don't know if you've noticed from past papers, but they always give you a choice in the essay question between a character question and a theme question. If you're more confident with themes either revise that loads & choose that or revise characters more because then you'll be confident on both ^_^I have no idea if you know all this so maybe I'm just regurgitating information, I have no idea :redface:

(Perhaps we're from parallel universes :redface:)
But no you're a real help - I'll make sure to check out those YouTube channels tomorrow :smile: Thanks for all the advice, and best of luck to you in all your exams! Feel free to PM me with how you think the exam went on Monday :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by electrahearts
I'm doing mockingbird! I think it could be Aunt Alexandra or Miss Maudie, maybe Jem

Probably won't be Miss Maudie, she came up in January 2013. I really hope it's not Aunt Alexandra, she's kinda obscure :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending