Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osamabinfishing)
    Hi guys, resitting the WJEC language (fiction) paper on the 2nd June. Anybody got any tips on how to go about doing the paper to A/A* standards?
    I asked a very similar question and received this answer from 'MissPlaying'. It has helped me massively.

I can give you some help with this. I find Language super easy (especially the reading)

Reading:

1 hour. 4 questions. 15 minutes each max.

Q1: Information retrieval

Read the question, then mark out the section of the text. Read through the text and highlight a minimum of 10 different points in answer to the question. You don't need to then write these out as a plan.

Introduction sentence (E.g "In the article..."

Write out your 10-12 points, using quotations (some examiners are picky) using connectives and accurate SPaG.

Conclusion sentence ("Overall"

Remember you don't need any analysis!

Q2 and Q3: Writers viewpoint/attitude/impression

Read the question then highlight a minimum of 8 different points/quotations to use in answer to the question

There's two ways to do this one.

i) Categorise.

Put your points into three different topics/categories.

Write your answer based on these points (PEA-PEA-PEA-O)

Make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences (this doesn't need to be too detailed or "zoomed in"

Move from the specific to the overall ways in which the writer creates their viewpoint/attitude/impression

ii) Don't categorise

Just plan your points into a logical (maybe chronological) order.

Write your answer based on these points (PEEA-EAEA-EA-EA-PEEEA-EA-O)

Again, make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences, and move from the specific to the overall.

Q4: Compare and Contrast

Make sure you have a wide range of points, and that they are clearly organised (if the question gives you subtitles, use them!)

Planning, use the subheadings, and find points for each writer

Example plan:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cost Bands

Wade: Wade:

Ridiculous pricing hardly hear them

Drinks expensive crushed and cramped

Boyce: Boyce:

over-priced food fantastic

reasonable admission shiver with joy
    Use phrases that show compare/contrast (like the poetry in Lit)

You don't need any analysis!

Remember a concluding paragraph to show you're moving from specific to the overall.

Here's an example of an answer that got 10/10 (with the above plan), that I did for my Y11 mocks:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cost

Wade believes the cost of Glastonbury to be ridiculous, saying the tents are 'inadequate and cheap', the drinks expensive 'pay over the odds for a pint' and the tickets ridiculous at '£185'. Boyce partially agrees saying the food is 'overpriced tat', however he feels the admission cost is 'quote reasonable', which differs from Wade's opinion

Bands

Wade had a bad experience with bands, as you can 'barely hear the bands let alone see them' also, Wade highlights the 'crush' with the only thing possible being 'a bit of swaying'. Boyce's opinion is completely different, however, he thinks the music is 'fantastic' and full of 'variety' leaving 'experiences that will stay with [him] forever' and him to 'shiver with joy'

Overall, the writers' opinions on cost are slightly similar while Wade feels negative about bands and Boyce speaks positively about them. This overall opinion is present in both texts throughout, with Boyce only slightly highlighting the negative aspects of Glastonbury.

Writing:

1 hour, 2 questions, about 25-30 minutes each (checking time)

For the writing, there a different types:

Reports

Speeches

Articles

Review

Formal/Informal letters

Leaflets

For each one, make sure you write down PALL (Purpose, Audience, Language, Layout) as part of your plan.

If you're stuck on a certain type, ask your English teacher, or try and read some of them.

Overall tips to remember.

PAPA V has flair (Punctuation and sentence structure, Audience and purpose, Paragraphing and structure, A FOREST, Vocabulary, Flair)

A FOREST (Alliteration, Fact, Opinion, Rhetorical Questions, Emotive Language, Statistics, Triplets)

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osamabinfishing)
    Hi guys, resitting the WJEC language (fiction) paper on the 2nd June. Anybody got any tips on how to go about doing the paper to A/A* standards?
    Just gonna leave this here
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...533&highlight=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    What was it for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it was 58/68

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maya_jadee)
    I think it was 58/68
    0 hope for me. I'm getting 1/68

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy0709)
    I asked a very similar question and received this answer from 'MissPlaying'. It has helped me massively.

I can give you some help with this. I find Language super easy (especially the reading)

Reading:

1 hour. 4 questions. 15 minutes each max.

Q1: Information retrieval

Read the question, then mark out the section of the text. Read through the text and highlight a minimum of 10 different points in answer to the question. You don't need to then write these out as a plan.

Introduction sentence (E.g "In the article..."

Write out your 10-12 points, using quotations (some examiners are picky) using connectives and accurate SPaG.

Conclusion sentence ("Overall"

Remember you don't need any analysis!

Q2 and Q3: Writers viewpoint/attitude/impression

Read the question then highlight a minimum of 8 different points/quotations to use in answer to the question

There's two ways to do this one.

i) Categorise.

Put your points into three different topics/categories.

Write your answer based on these points (PEA-PEA-PEA-O)

Make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences (this doesn't need to be too detailed or "zoomed in"

Move from the specific to the overall ways in which the writer creates their viewpoint/attitude/impression

ii) Don't categorise

Just plan your points into a logical (maybe chronological) order.

Write your answer based on these points (PEEA-EAEA-EA-EA-PEEEA-EA-O)

Again, make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences, and move from the specific to the overall.

Q4: Compare and Contrast

Make sure you have a wide range of points, and that they are clearly organised (if the question gives you subtitles, use them!)

Planning, use the subheadings, and find points for each writer

Example plan:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cost Bands

Wade: Wade:

Ridiculous pricing hardly hear them

Drinks expensive crushed and cramped

Boyce: Boyce:

over-priced food fantastic

reasonable admission shiver with joy
    Use phrases that show compare/contrast (like the poetry in Lit)

You don't need any analysis!

Remember a concluding paragraph to show you're moving from specific to the overall.

Here's an example of an answer that got 10/10 (with the above plan), that I did for my Y11 mocks:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cost

Wade believes the cost of Glastonbury to be ridiculous, saying the tents are 'inadequate and cheap', the drinks expensive 'pay over the odds for a pint' and the tickets ridiculous at '£185'. Boyce partially agrees saying the food is 'overpriced tat', however he feels the admission cost is 'quote reasonable', which differs from Wade's opinion

Bands

Wade had a bad experience with bands, as you can 'barely hear the bands let alone see them' also, Wade highlights the 'crush' with the only thing possible being 'a bit of swaying'. Boyce's opinion is completely different, however, he thinks the music is 'fantastic' and full of 'variety' leaving 'experiences that will stay with [him] forever' and him to 'shiver with joy'

Overall, the writers' opinions on cost are slightly similar while Wade feels negative about bands and Boyce speaks positively about them. This overall opinion is present in both texts throughout, with Boyce only slightly highlighting the negative aspects of Glastonbury.

Writing:

1 hour, 2 questions, about 25-30 minutes each (checking time)

For the writing, there a different types:

Reports

Speeches

Articles

Review

Formal/Informal letters

Leaflets

For each one, make sure you write down PALL (Purpose, Audience, Language, Layout) as part of your plan.

If you're stuck on a certain type, ask your English teacher, or try and read some of them.

Overall tips to remember.

PAPA V has flair (Punctuation and sentence structure, Audience and purpose, Paragraphing and structure, A FOREST, Vocabulary, Flair)

A FOREST (Alliteration, Fact, Opinion, Rhetorical Questions, Emotive Language, Statistics, Triplets)

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anyone have Nov wjec lang paper 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystic mauve)
    I don't know if I did enough to get an A overall for heroes and inspector calls. I chose the question about women in the 20th century and started linking it to shiela and how she contrasts with birling also the historical context but I didn't speak about any other characters in the novel. Will I be marked down for this? I am just so concerned. I need a secure A overall in literature because I am picking it for A levels.
    Sorry this is a late reply. But this is exactly what I did. I actually forgot to mention Eva Smith whatsoever and even put in my essay 'There are only two female characters' which I'm sure will loose me a lot of marks. And then, I just talked about Sheila for the whole thing so I'm not very happy with how that went. But, I think my points were valid so I'm hoping it will come out okay. I also need an A to do A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceporter)
    Sorry this is a late reply. But this is exactly what I did. I actually forgot to mention Eva Smith whatsoever and even put in my essay 'There are only two female characters' which I'm sure will loose me a lot of marks. And then, I just talked about Sheila for the whole thing so I'm not very happy with how that went. But, I think my points were valid so I'm hoping it will come out okay. I also need an A to do A-level.
    On theme based questions you are expected to write about all of the characters- if not as many as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10studentlife)
    On theme based questions you are expected to write about all of the characters- if not as many as possible
    I really only mentioned Shelia and Mrs Birling apart from briefly describing each character (other than Eva Smith's) views on women in my introduction. So does this mean I won't be getting a good mark on that question?

If only someone would have told me that before the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceporter)
    I really only mentioned Shelia and Mrs Birling apart from briefly describing each character (other than Eva Smith's) views on women in my introduction. So does this mean I won't be getting a good mark on that question?

If only someone would have told me that before the exam!
    I only mentioned Sheila and Eva I think 😐 I think as long as the content is plausible then it should be fine👍🏿

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

How did you find English Language today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcses2015)
    Hi guys,

How did you find English Language today?
    Pretty good - the person's advice for the reading paper posted earlier was a lifesaver!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Pretty good - the person's advice for the reading paper posted earlier was a lifesaver!
    Okay, I didn't finish the reading.. but the speech was good not so much the letter. Do you know what the grade boundries are? I need an A.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I think english schools sit different papers to welsh ones..
    Im in wales...

I thought today was OK
    But harder than my mocks,
    Waved good bye to a good grade I think 😠😏

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if you get marks for listing details if you run out of time (fir higher tier) on the compare and contrast question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleheron)
    Does anyone know if you get marks for listing details if you run out of time (fir higher tier) on the compare and contrast question?
    you'll probably get some kind of credit

ReputationRep:
    Hello, if I wrote the answers in this format:

"Due to the different quotes-as shown- I would say that towards this

text, there was evidence to assume a particular position towards this

idea.

As shown in the mentioned quotes, It should also be considered that

John was a travesty, and didn't want to stay with Kate."

Will I get the marks for paragraphing? or in other words, will this be considered as paragraphing?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.