The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are normally??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haes
I was planning it out today and came up with

>discrimination due to age and disability
>friendship with dog/loneliness
>the death of his dog and how it foreshadows lennie's death
>he's nosy and he gossips a lot, which causes the reader to make early opinions and misconceptions about characters before they are introduced
>desperation to join george & lennie's dream

it depends what the question is really

oh thank you!!!
please can anyone help me with curley?? and some points for important themes as well?
Curley is a naturally twisted character who in the book has naturally twisted hair to represent his naturally twisted personality . Cutlets wife has artifiically twisted hair to represent how the world has made her cruel
Original post by haes
Oh, okay! Thank you!! I understand much better now:biggrin:

No problem:smile:
Original post by RebeccaHollins
How many quotes would you say we need for the 20 mark essay question?

Five at very least :smile:
Original post by JacobHerst
Curley is a naturally twisted character who in the book has naturally twisted hair to represent his naturally twisted personality . Cutlets wife has artifiically twisted hair to represent how the world has made her cruel

This is a really good point, thanks!
Original post by students1999
please can anyone help me with curley?? and some points for important themes as well?

You can say:
-Hates big guys
-Do not pay attention to her wife. This causes Curley's Wife loneliness
-Boss' son therefore have an important role in the ranch
-He have a hand full of vaseline which shows he have a dirty mind

Feel free to add more points
Original post by sausageroll714
Just letting you know what has come up before in the OMAM essay questions before:

Sympathy for Lennie
Strengths and weaknesses
Curley's importance to the novel
Fear and suspicion
Crook's importance to the novel
Dreams 'more harm than good'
Imagine you are Slim at the end of the novel looking back over events
Theme of friendship
Which character is a victim the most?
Animals presented in the novel
Relationship between George and Lennie
Which character most lacks the strength of character to change their future

There was also a question on Curley's Wife in the sample materials. If I was a betting person I would think Candy and perhaps the theme of lonliness would come up, as neither has come up yet and both can be related to the context of the novel quite well.

This is really helpful, thanks for this
thank you very much!!! :biggrin:
hoping curleys wife comes up! ive studied her loads!!!
I'm doing exactly same books as you but I absoloutley hate inspector calls!! Also, I'm rubbish at poetry :frown:
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
So for these I'm doing: Of Mice and Men, Heroes and An Inspector Calls. I'm really dreading this exam because English is like my worst subject and memorising quotes? It's absurd. No point complaining now though. But what do you guys predict will come up?
I have a feeling that for AIC there will be something on the theme of morality. What could we write for that?
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
This is really helpful, thanks for this

I hope nothing stupid comes up like the animal question!!
Hello, I have my English Literature Exam on Of Mice and Men quotes but I can't think of five events to discuss about him, does anyone know? I can only think of his property and how little he has and the scene when Lennie and Curley's Wife goes into his room.
Can anyone tell me how you set out an answer if it's a theme question? Would it be better to choose a couple of characters and discuss how they relate to the theme, or is there another way of doing it?
Reply 115
http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/s14-4201-02.pdf

Hey could you guys please tell me what mark this response would get for the extract:
From this extract, Curley's wife appears to be nervous and fearful of Curley as "she stood still in the doorway"; suggesting that Curley's wife understands that she does not belong in the men's world and is afraid Curley will see her talking to them. Thus, by standing by the doorway, she knows she can leave quickly. She is described to be "heavily made up"l this suggests that she has nothing else to do therefore she spends a lot of time on her appearance, perhaps because she wants attention, which she does not get from Curley. However, we learn that "she breathed strongly, as though she has been running" perhaps from Curley; emphasising that she is fearful of him. Consequently, we learn that the heavy make up could be to cover bruises as Curley, who we know is violent (he don't like nobody" - which could be include his wife) abuses her. Interestingly, Curley's wife asks the men if they have seen Curley ("Any you boys seen Curley?"). However, she reveals that she does in fact know where Curley went as she states "think I don't know where they all went? Even Curley. I know where they all went." Not only does this highlight that Curley's wife is an observant, watchful character, but she reveals that she is lonely and desperately wants someone to talk to as she asks them simply as a conversation starter. As Curley's wife implies that she wants someone to talk to, it is clear that her marriage is broken as she does not talk to Curley. This is emphasised when she states; "Think I don't like to talk to somebody ever once in a while? Think I like to stick in that house alla time?". This also causes her to appear ungrateful as the ranch men all want what she has (her own farm), however, she doesn't want it. When describing Curley, she describes him to be a "swell guy" - this appears to be sarcastic, as we already know she does not have a good relationship with him. Throughout this extract, Curley's wife reveals more about her relationship with Curley. Moreover, she makes it clear to the men not to underestimate her as she is observant.
Original post by Horsegirl01302
Hello, I have my English Literature Exam on Of Mice and Men quotes but I can't think of five events to discuss about him, does anyone know? I can only think of his property and how little he has and the scene when Lennie and Curley's Wife goes into his room.

can i ask what character your on about?? :smile:
Original post by Ruthie2267
Can anyone tell me how you set out an answer if it's a theme question? Would it be better to choose a couple of characters and discuss how they relate to the theme, or is there another way of doing it?

You can discuss about thw characters and then link tour point to thw context. However, you need to pick a relevant quote which supports your point and the context as well
Original post by Ruthie2267

With the theme question it's pretty open. So let's say the question is on loneliness, you can make as many points, relating to as many characters and writing as much as you want on it:
1) Curley's wife being lonely
2) George and Lennie having this unique friendship, not living up to the usual itinerant workers
3) Crooks, being lonely due to his skin colour
4) In chapter 4, it's ironic how all the 'misfits' end up together, talking. Leading to Candy helping Crooks when he's threatened by Curley's wife

I guess for loneliness it's difficult to get mixed up with discrimination so be careful. Other than that, answering a theme question is pretty open ended
So based on predictions, let's come up with 7 points for loneliness?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending