username1782673
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Need help with question 5(g) - AQA Unit 1 June 2013.

Which one of the first, second or third ionisations of thallium produces an ion with the election configuration [Xe] 5d10 6s1?

The answer is second - i understand why it is second but how can you to do without writing the whole configuration of thallium out as the question is only worth one mark.
rxns_00
Badges: 13
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 123pickles)
Need help with question 5(g) - AQA Unit 1 June 2013.

Which one of the first, second or third ionisations of thallium produces an ion with the election configuration [Xe] 5d10 6s1?

The answer is second - i understand why it is second but how can you to do without writing the whole configuration of thallium out as the question is only worth one mark.
You don't have to write it out. Look at the periodic table, starting from Xenon. You can see that thallium is bound to have a full 6s, full 5d and one electron in 6p. That makes 13 electrons past Xenon. The ion only has 11 past xenon. Difference: 13-11=2, so two electrons removed and so 2nd IE.

Basically count the spaces past xenon till you reach thallium and subtract from that the number of electrons shown for the ion in the question.
Azula
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RonnieRJ)
You don't have to write it out. Look at the periodic table, starting from Xenon. You can see that thallium is bound to have a full 6s, full 5d and one electron in 6p. That makes 13 electrons past Xenon. The ion only has 11 past xenon. Difference: 13-11=2, so two electrons removed and so 2nd IE.

Basically count the spaces past xenon till you reach thallium and subtract from that the number of electrons shown for the ion in the question.
It's a bit misleading as they havent given the whole configuration, but you know that thallium is in group 3, and so it had 3 electrons in the outer shell (6). It now only has 1 so 2 electrons were removed
username1782673
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks guys - I get it now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (369)
67.21%
No (180)
32.79%

Watched Threads