The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Physics Exam 20th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Neymar27
I put 'time it takes for half the mass of the radioactive isotope to decay'. That ok?

2/2
Reply 121
HEY Guys how well you all are prepared for p2?
Original post by Astrtricks
These questions were so trivial and silly to put in an exam paper and they annoyed me and loads of other people in my year although probably it'll be these questions which will force the grade boundaries lower because very few people will have got full marks on these questions. Anyway here's what I put... a lot of my answers are probably wrong though...

Kitchen Question

If all the appliances are used at once then the current may become too large and the wires will heat up possibly causing a fire if a circuit broker isn't used.

Water and electricity together pose a safety hazard; electricity may be conducted to the user and also potentially short circuit something.

If there are many wires it's a trip hazard (this is a very weak answer).

Exposed heating elements are dangerous to touch in a toaster

Hardrive Question

The hard drive on top has a greater surface area exposed to the air.

The black hard rive onto is a more efficient set up as black radiates heat(to the surroundings) more effectively than black, thus having its surface area more exposed is advantageous.

When the white is on the bottom it absorbs less heat from the black hard drive, this is good as it has less surface area to dissipate heat.

The black hard drive on top will absorb the heat better and transfer it to an exposed area were heat can be dissipated more efficiently than the white hard drive as black absorbs heat more effectively.

Last Question,and the worst
(why is the temperature probe unlikely to be accurate)

Temperature is a linear scale; the graph does't have a constant gradient (its curved

Something relating to when the temperature is zero the current isn't

The probe uses the relationship between temperature and resistance/current, the graph is wrong in showing this relationship

How do you remember the exam so clearly?!?!

If you can can you make like a concise unoficial marksceheme, if you can, that would be awesome!
Reply 123
Original post by Mastermind1000000

If you can can you make like a concise unoficial marksceheme, if you can, that would be awesome!

Who cares man? Your grade isn't changing
Original post by aahmad
Who cares man? Your grade isn't changing

Anxiety issues...
Anxiety issues...

Question 1:

a) Fission
b) absorb neutrons
Question 1:

a) Fission
b) absorb neutrons

YAY!

Sorry but I have the goddamn worst memory so i cannot remember anything from the paper anymore :frown:

If anyone has a copy of the paper we could continue making the unofficial mark-scheme :biggrin:
Damn thought it was a) and a) ?
I work so hard yet in the exam I get really easy stuff wrong...this is the reality of life, isn't it?
Reply 129
YAY!

Sorry but I have the goddamn worst memory so i cannot remember anything from the paper anymore :frown:

If anyone has a copy of the paper we could continue making the unofficial mark-scheme :biggrin:

Yeah and where would someone have a copy of the paper?
Original post by chazer154
Damn thought it was a) and a) ?

part i) was a - fission..... Part ii) was a - absorbs neutrons.... So you were correct lol
part i) was a - fission..... Part ii) was a - absorbs neutrons.... So you were correct lol

lol ok, but still, I get stuff wrong really easily in other parts of the paper as well...
I doubt we could get a hold of the paper, apart from if anyone here was an international technology spy and could hack into the edexcel website :wink:
lol ok, but still, I get stuff wrong really easily in other parts of the paper as well...

I'm sure you did better than you think, how did the other biology and chemistry go for you? I remember lots of questions from those ones
I'm sure you did better than you think, how did the other biology and chemistry go for you? I remember lots of questions from those ones

Dont do bio, but the chemistry went very well, around 113 i think...do you remember the calculation questions? (titration concentration value and all that?)
Dont do bio, but the chemistry went very well, around 113 i think...do you remember the calculation questions? (titration concentration value and all that?)

The last calculation was definitely 120,,, titration one was something.5 (I think 36.5 but can't remember the exact values)
Ah right cool. Yes I got 120 as well! I had mine in mol/dm3 and got 0.04 something mol/dm3...wouldn't it be quite concentrated if it was 36.5?
Ah right cool. Yes I got 120 as well! I had mine in mol/dm3 and got 0.04 something mol/dm3...wouldn't it be quite concentrated if it was 36.5?

The 36.5 im talking about is the titration part where it gave you a table of figures, you had to select the two appropriate results and find their average. I think you are talking about the part b, which I cannot remember
Ah right cool...sorry! Ah yes the average! It was the two middle ones or something (they didn't differ by more than 0.2 or something) and yes I think I got something.5 as well because the values where pretty simple. I had a look on the chemistry forum and have now realised it was 0.0045 which what I got.

I posted this pretty soon after the exam so it was fresh in my head and I discussed it with my friends and teachers so its not that hard and I only tend to remember questions I found troublesome or spent large amounts of time.

To be honest I've forgotten most of the questions now but if you have specific ones you want to know about, just post them and some one will probably remember what they put for them.

Quick Reply