Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I'm thinking of doing a year abroad in the US but I thought I'd start thinking about which ones I'm actually going to look into. I know a lot of people on this forum won't know anything about these US unis but are there any you know on this list that are good or that I should avoid?[*]California State University, Long Beach[*]Indiana University Bloomington[*]Marquette University (limited places available)[*]Mount Holyoke College[*]Purdue University (limited places available) [*]San Diego State University[*]State University of New York Buffalo[*]University of California (not UCLA)[*]University of Kansas (unavailable for 2015/16)[*]University Maryland at College Park (limited places available)[*]University of Massachusetts at Amherst[*]University of North Carolina Charlotte[*]University of South Carolina[*]University of Tennessee at Knoxville[*]University of Wisconsin La Crosse - New for 2015-16[*]University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for UMD. It's a great school with lots of school spirit, and DC is reasonably accessible.

Indiana U and Purdue (for STEM things especially) are also good, but travel will be more difficult to/from either. Indiana is particularly well-known for business, music, and foreign languages, if you're into those.

U Mass-Amherst and Mount Holyoke (women only) are part of the same consortium of good schools. Amherst is a nifty little college town. Mount Holyoke is the only liberal arts college on your list; if you want to try something new and test out college life at a smaller school, it could be a good choice.

UT Knoxville and USC are pretty similar, the major difference being the latter's more urban location. Both are large, moderate/conservative schools with good but not great academics and a huge football scene.

The UCs are a mixed bag...obviously it'd be great if you could get one like Berkeley, UCSD, or UCSB...less so if you got UC Merced or UCR.

Long Beach is a cool city, as is San Diego. That said, the CSUs have a LOT of commuter students, so you won't find the same sense of community at CSULB or SDSU that you would at the flagships on your list (U Mass, Kansas, Indiana, USC, etc.), though SDSU is probably one of the better CSUs for providing a "college experience" (i.e. not being dead after 4 PM and on weekends). The same goes for UNCC.

I'm not very familiar with SUNY Buffalo, Marquette, or the UW universities. La Crosse is generally considered the better of the two, but UWM has the more interesting location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieC130)
    Hi so I'm thinking of doing a year abroad in the US but I thought I'd start thinking about which ones I'm actually going to look into. I know a lot of people on this forum won't know anything about these US unis but are there any you know on this list that are good or that I should avoid?[*]California State University, Long Beach[*]Indiana University Bloomington[*]Marquette University (limited places available)[*]Mount Holyoke College[*]Purdue University (limited places available) [*]San Diego State University[*]State University of New York Buffalo[*]University of California (not UCLA)[*]University of Kansas (unavailable for 2015/16)[*]University Maryland at College Park (limited places available)[*]University of Massachusetts at Amherst[*]University of North Carolina Charlotte[*]University of South Carolina[*]University of Tennessee at Knoxville[*]University of Wisconsin La Crosse - New for 2015-16[*]University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
    Marquette is where Dwyane Wade went, which means that Marquette is where you should go because D-Wade is a baller of the highest caliber

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.