Turn on thread page Beta

I was speaking to my boyfriend over the phone about our relationship, which he always says he doesn't think there is anything wrong with our relationship, doesn't want anything to change, he's happy, and that he loves and cares about me. (We have been through a rough patch these few weeks as a result of stress, lack of communication and university exams.)
    however, he told me that he isn't going to lie and we will probably break up eventually (we have been going out for over a year now) but he doesn't want to break up with me and that he thinks that il be the one to break up with him.
    I honestly don't know how to take this and want to know how other people would react? I wouldn't see us breaking up, or atleast say its "probable", so being told he thinks in the future we will but as a result of me dumping him?

ReputationRep:
    lel.
    he is kindly asking you to break up with him bc he doesnt have the balls to do it himself, do him the favours.
    Dump him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was speaking to my boyfriend over the phone about our relationship, which he always says he doesn't think there is anything wrong with our relationship, doesn't want anything to change, he's happy, and that he loves and cares about me. (We have been through a rough patch these few weeks as a result of stress, lack of communication and university exams.)
    however, he told me that he isn't going to lie and we will probably break up eventually (we have been going out for over a year now) but he doesn't want to break up with me and that he thinks that il be the one to break up with him.
    I honestly don't know how to take this and want to know how other people would react? I wouldn't see us breaking up, or atleast say its "probable", so being told he thinks in the future we will but as a result of me dumping him?

Re-assure him that you have no intentions of breaking up with him, maybe you both should spend some more time together, and you shouldn't just break up over exams that's minor look at the bigger picture if you love him and he feels the same then you can both find a way to make your relationship work.

ReputationRep:
    He's saying you will be the one to break up with him because he's probably going to act like a **** on purpose as he probably actually wants the relationship to end. Either that or he is some insecure weirdo.

(Original post by Uw0tm8_)
    lel.
    he is kindly asking you to break up with him bc he doesnt have the balls to do it himself, do him the favours.
    Dump him.
    (Original post by SuckMeBeautiful)
    He's saying you will be the one to break up with him because he's probably going to act like a **** on purpose as he probably actually wants the relationship to end. Either that or he is some insecure weirdo.
    i understand that some people don't like breaking up with others and will be too scared and so on, but he is literally upfront, it's hard to explain, like he is brutally honest and if he didn't want to be with me, he would say. And I wouldn't say he was insecure either. So that's why its a little confusing, However I don't know whether him saying that is a reflection on me?

(Original post by GeorgeTownsend)
    Re-assure him that you have no intentions of breaking up with him, maybe you both should spend some more time together, and you shouldn't just break up over exams that's minor look at the bigger picture if you love him and he feels the same then you can both find a way to make your relationship work.
    i do not have the intentions of breaking up with him, even though he's had this opinion since we started going out a year or more ago. I do not think we would break up because of exams but he got very stressed and practically lead to arguments. Yeah that's true, I will have to assure him, just incase he has it in his head I don't want to be with him.

thank you for the advice and opinions. What would people do?speak about it first, or dump him? I really don't want too, but at the same time being in a relationship where the one sees that breaking up is probable is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    You're a kid.
    It's statistically likely you will break up.
    Imagine he said:
    "There's going to be an Earthquake one day"
    and you responded with:
    "Which one of us is going to cause the Earthquake? What am I doing wrong?"
    It's just a force of nature.

ReputationRep:
    It'd make me feel dejected. It doesn't sound like he has hope in the relationship- what a negative attitude to have :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.