The Student Room Group

Dumb picking both Geography AND History at A-level?

So I wanted to pick these to for A-level as 2 of my 4 options.
However, some people say it is not highly recommended as they are both humanities topics?
I want to pick the best possible subjects for Economics at university. My other two topics are Mathematics and Economics. Should I change Geography or Economics for anything?
Reply 1
I thought like you and picked History. Universities don't care at all about the subjects being humanities or anything. If you do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (for example) you have just as good a chance as anyone.

Do 4 subjects you enjoy and can do well in.
Reply 2
But aren't Geography AND History TOO similar ?
Reply 3
No they really aren't, universities will appreciate that despite both technically being humanities, they offer entirely different things and require separate skills.
If you would enjoy them both and would get good grades in them both, I urge you to take them both :smile:
Reply 4
I'm planning on doing economics at uni (hopefully Surrey, going to the open day :smile:) and I'm doing maths, economics, geography and physics. If you're alright at sciences then it might mix it up. Apparently History is very content heavy, geography is alright and grade boundaries are extremely low :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Azim101
But aren't Geography AND History TOO similar ?

No, they are nowhere near similar. Geography consists of a lot of topics from other subject such as economics, physics, climatology and such.
Reply 6
Would you guys advise changing geography for either physics or gov and politics?
Reply 7
Geography and history are both fascillitating (cant spell it, im dyslexic) subjects, unis like them.
Reply 8
I do both history and geography at AS and they aren't similar. History is more of an arts subject while geography is more a social science. I've enjoyed studying both these subjects and feel that I've learnt a lot to develop me personally as well :smile: I think human geog is similar to economics according to my friend. But nah go for it if you want to study both :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azim101
So I wanted to pick these to for A-level as 2 of my 4 options.
However, some people say it is not highly recommended as they are both humanities topics?
I want to pick the best possible subjects for Economics at university. My other two topics are Mathematics and Economics. Should I change Geography or Economics for anything?

In terms of useful subjects for economics at university they go as follows:

Maths (essential) -> Economics/Further Maths (not essential but do you will be disadvantaged not doing them) -> anything else

Quick Reply

Latest