The Student Room Group

Chemistry AS Edexcel HELP

Hey guys, was wondering if any of you could answer this:

Okay, so I don't really get what permanent dipole interactions are. Are they between oppositely charged dipoles of atoms of polar bonds between molecules?

2. Between which atoms of separate molecules do permanent dipole forces occur between? For example, in Ethanal (CH2OH) is the permanent dipole between the oxygen and the carbon atom on the next molecule, or the oxygen and one of the hydrogens on the next molecule, and why?

also, in CH3Cl which atoms is the permanent dipole between?

Thanks a lot!!!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by annie79
Hey guys, was wondering if any of you could answer this:

Okay, so I don't really get what permanent dipole interactions are. Are they between oppositely charged dipoles of atoms of polar bonds between molecules?

2. Between which atoms of separate molecules do permanent dipole forces occur between? For example, in Ethanal (CH2OH) is the permanent dipole between the oxygen and the carbon atom on the next molecule, or the oxygen and one of the hydrogens on the next molecule, and why?

also, in CH3Cl which atoms is the permanent dipole between?

Thanks a lot!!!

Right I think I understand what you're asking. Dipole-dipole interactions are between the slightly negative dipole on one molecule and the slightly positive dipole on the other. In ethanal, you have a electronegative oxygen. So this is slightly negatively charged leaving a slightly positively charged carbon. So there is a dipole-dipole interaction between the positively charged carbon on one molecule and the negatively charged oxygen molecule on the other molecule.

So with CH3Cl, it's between the Cl and C. It's always between the electronegative atom and what it's joined to (normally C or O)

Quick Reply

Latest