Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There must be someone who can help me untangle the enigma of UMS...

Taking 2014 OCR English Literature as an example:

Say I got a mark of 55 in F661, how would I convert that to UMS?

I tried working out the difference between an A and a B in raw marks (54-46=8) and, as each grade is separated by 10% UMS, calculated that 1 mark is equal to 1.25% (8/10 = 1.25), which equates to 1.5 UMS (0.0125 x 120 = 1.5).

As I got 1 mark above the A boundary, this would mean I have a UMS of 97.5 (96 + 1.25 = 97.5)

However, if I did the same calculation with a mark of 60 (full marks), this would equate to just 105 UMS ((1.25 x 6) + 96), but full marks MUST be 120 UMS. So am I barking up the wrong tree? If so, how on God's earth do you do this?

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kid B)

I tried working out the difference between an A and a B in raw marks (54-46=8) and, as each grade is separated by 10% UMS, calculated that 1 mark is equal to 1.25% (8/10 = 1.25), which equates to 1.5 UMS (0.0125 x 120 = 1.5).

As I got 1 mark above the A boundary, this would mean I have a UMS of 97.5 (96 + 1.25 = 97.5)

However, if I did the same calculation with a mark of 60 (full marks), this would equate to just 105 UMS ((1.25 x 6) + 96), but full marks MUST be 120 UMS. So am I barking up the wrong tree? If so, how on God's earth do you do this?

As far as I know full UMS does not necessarily mean full marks. You can still achieve full UMS without attaining full marks in an exam. At least that's the case with AQA anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasskaurr11)
    As far as I know full UMS does not necessarily mean full marks. You can still achieve full UMS without attaining full marks in an exam. At least that's the case with AQA anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks - I know you can get full UMS without getting full marks (although I don't believe that's the case with English Lit), but what I mean is full marks must be full UMS.

You can't get 60/60 raw and not have full UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kid B)

Usually you can just linearly extrapolate the difference of the A and B grade throughout the raw to UMS conversion upto full ums as you have done.

However, if the a grade is so high that extrapolating the difference will cause the full ums to require more than 100% raw marks (in this case extrapolating would mean 70/60 is needed for 120 ums, which is clearly impossible) then you have to use a different system.

The A* (90% ums mark) is placed half way between 100% ums and the A grade so in this case 108 ums is 57/60 raw. Therefore 55/60 raw is 100 ums.

Hope that sort of makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philgreek)
    Usually you can just linearly extrapolate the difference of the A and B grade throughout the raw to UMS conversion upto full ums as you have done.

However, if the a grade is so high that extrapolating the difference will cause the full ums to require more than 100% raw marks (in this case extrapolating would mean 70/60 is needed for 120 ums, which is clearly impossible) then you have to use a different system.

The A* (90% ums mark) is placed half way between 100% ums and the A grade so in this case 108 ums is 57/60 raw. Therefore 55/60 raw is 100 ums.

Hope that sort of makes sense
    Okay! Thanks a lot

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.