Turn on thread page Beta

Does this sum up the conservatives for you? watch

ReputationRep:

I personally feel this video is somewhat correct, however not completely :P. What do you guys think? Lol!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nah this sums up the Tories. Nice try though. I tend to keep it classic. I think you guys are a bit hip for the room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Nah this sums up the Tories. Nice try though. I tend to keep it classic. I think you guys are a bit hip for the room.

Lol Cameron's face! But seriously though, why does he want to legalise fox hunting?

ReputationRep:
    I bloody hate commoners. Scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkGavin)
    Great comment.

I find that those saying this kind of inflammatory drivel are themselves 'commoners'. If not proles then certainly plebs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkGavin)
    Don't you have a Queen's Speech to be writing David? Or is this your first draft?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calzs34)
    But seriously though, why does he want to legalise fox hunting?
    Because a great many rural people have hunted foxes for centuries and consider it not only a means of controlling what is essentially a rural pest, but also an important cultural thing that is part of the identity of many of their communities.

Fox hunting raises passions because of that cultural and identity link. I grew up in a village with a large hunt and so I very much get the argument in favour.

I also appreciate that there is a fair case to be made on cruelty grounds. It's rather my contention, however, that - prior to our killing off the fox's natural predators in these islands - it was a normal part of a fox's life to be chased and sometimes killed by something not too dissimilar to dogs.

I'm not really trying to start a debate here or anything, just assuming it was a genuine question about why he might support such a thing and providing an answer. Electorally, it's also important: the Conservatives historically back foxhunting (although there are many Conservatives who don't) and many core voters would feel betrayed if that commitment was dropped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calzs34)
    Lol Cameron's face! But seriously though, why does he want to legalise fox hunting?
    Bloodlust.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Because a great many rural people have hunted foxes for centuries and consider it not only a means of controlling what is essentially a rural pest, but also an important cultural thing that is part of the identity of many of their communities.

Fox hunting raises passions because of that cultural and identity link. I grew up in a village with a large hunt and so I very much get the argument in favour.

I also appreciate that there is a fair case to be made on cruelty grounds. It's rather my contention, however, that - prior to our killing off the fox's natural predators in these islands - it was a normal part of a fox's life to be chased and sometimes killed by something not too dissimilar to dogs.

I'm not really trying to start a debate here or anything, just assuming it was a genuine question about why he might support such a thing and providing an answer. Electorally, it's also important: the Conservatives historically back foxhunting (although there are many Conservatives who don't) and many core voters would feel betrayed if that commitment was dropped.
    I also live rural in my 2nd house but I would argue that the days of fox hunting have long gone.

The thing is within mono-culture farming (growing 1 crop per field) there needs to be a constant source of fertilizer to produce the huge yields of crops. Oil based fertilizer is the only thing which is keeping mono-culture on life support. When it runs out mono-culture will die.

What does this have to do with fox hunting?

The new model for food production is permaculture, aquaponics and vertical growing under glass. The countryside as you know it will look completely different. It will be a mix of glass pyramids where inside huge vines crawl up towers and below is channels of water where tilapia, trout and salmon roam. There also be fruit trees in the center growing in mid air and as you move away from the center you get closer to smaller grown crops.

There will literally be no fields for a bunch of mounted riders and blood hounds to go gallivanting across fields.

This model has also started happening since Aquaponics is huge over in Australia at the moment and just across the sea Holland is moving towards its next step of Greenhouse farming.

Personally If I owned the land of one of these futuristic farms I would tell the local Tory/lord to go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    I also live rural in my 2nd house but I would argue that the days of fox hunting have long gone.

The thing is within mono-culture farming (growing 1 crop per field) there needs to be a constant source of fertilizer to produce the huge yields of crops. Oil based fertilizer is the only thing which is keeping mono-culture on life support. When it runs out mono-culture will die.

What does this have to do with fox hunting?

The new model for food production is permaculture, aquaponics and vertical growing under glass. The countryside as you know it will look completely different. It will be a mix of glass pyramids where inside huge vines crawl up towers and below is channels of water where tilapia, trout and salmon roam. There also be fruit trees in the center growing in mid air and as you move away from the center you get closer to smaller grown crops.
    The thing is, oil based fertilisers won't run out any time in the near future: these things are actually pretty cheap at the moment and look to carry on that way for a while. But that's not really the issue. We have to extract nitrogen for other purposes anyway, so even if all the oil and gas ran out in 20 years - which it won't - we'd still use other methods to produce it.

Even at a quick estimate of costs, producing fertiliser through slightly more energy intensive means is hardly going to be more expensive than what you're proposing.

Our future need for fertiliser is likely to reduce anyway with the growth of genetic modification. This is likely to be the more advantageous outcome: we're not going to increase crop yields in Africa, say, by talking about aquaponics and glass pyramids - we're looking for something far more straightforward - and that will most likely take the form of something effectively modified at seed.

ReputationRep:
    Compassionate conservatism lol

Zero hours conservatism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The thing is, oil based fertilisers won't run out any time in the near future: these things are actually pretty cheap at the moment and look to carry on that way for a while. But that's not really the issue. We have to extract nitrogen for other purposes anyway, so even if all the oil and gas ran out in 20 years - which it won't - we'd still use other methods to produce it.

Even at a quick estimate of costs, producing fertiliser through slightly more energy intensive means is hardly going to be more expensive than what you're proposing.

Our future need for fertiliser is likely to reduce anyway with the growth of genetic modification. This is likely to be the more advantageous outcome: we're not going to increase crop yields in Africa, say, by talking about aquaponics and glass pyramids - we're looking for something far more straightforward - and that will most likely take the form of something effectively modified at seed.
    The Monsanto GMO seeds your talking about won't work. People have already got onto the fact that GMO seeds produce food which can cause cancer in animals.

Also has global population increases there becomes less space. So the glass pyramid becomes more of a credible option.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The petition to get Clarkson reinstated to Top Gear is the most Tory thing of all-time.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.