Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about getting a laptop as I am starting a Hnc next term, I don't want to spend money on something expensive as I won't be using a great deal, just for college work and occasionally browsing the Web, Facebook and so on. I have seen these chromebooks and the price is very appealing but the drawbacks seem to be that you can't get the proper word programmes with them. Has anyone got one, or know anything about tech that can advise on this To a complete ththechnophobe?? Thanks
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tilly101)
    I've been thinking about getting a laptop as I am starting a Hnc next term, I don't want to spend money on something expensive as I won't be using a great deal, just for college work and occasionally browsing the Web, Facebook and so on. I have seen these chromebooks and the price is very appealing but the drawbacks seem to be that you can't get the proper word programmes with them. Has anyone got one, or know anything about tech that can advise on this To a complete ththechnophobe?? Thanks
    They're fine as long as you are aware of their limitations. Only want to do basic tasks like word processing, web browsing and video streaming? Going to have easy access to a WiFi connection? If you tick the above boxes then a Chromebook is fine. Google Docs is a sophisticated enough word processor for the majority of users, it's only if you're going to be doing more advanced stuff that you'll need a full copy of Word. It's when you want to use non-web based applications that the viability of Chrome books drops like a stone. I know you said you don't want to spend loads on a laptop you won't make full use of, but you can pick up perfectly decent Windows machines for around the £300 mark, which may not be much more than you were planning to spend on a Chrome book.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    I loved my Chromebook. I had a HP 14 but just sold it recently. I loved the touchpad, the keyboard, and battery life (9 hours+). It's good for a second laptop but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have access to another laptop or PC. That was the reason why I ended up selling it. Even though it did 95% of what I wanted it to do, the other 5% i.e. ripping CD's and selling on eBay it wouldn't let me do. If I had a PC, I would have happily kept it.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I went for the chromebook. Im no whizz kid but it seems to have everything a pc does, it has office 365 that you can use offline too. Thanks for all your help
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Chrome Books are meant to "keep you connected", i.e used for browsing the web and using web based services. There are some options for document editing etc such as google docs and Microsoft's online version of office, but you will not get any fully fledged suites. I'd personally go for a Windows machine if you'll be doing coursework. Another drawback is the fact you have to be connected constantly, or the machine is pretty useless.
 
 
 
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.