Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I basically don't know what to do when I graduate in January 2016.

I still feel passionate toward my degree subject, however, to what level- is a question that is debatable.

I just feel that after three long years of study, and a further 4 years prior to uni soul-searching as to what I wanted to do. I still have no idea.

I think this is partially linked to two things mainly. 1.) I have no idea whether I have what it takes to succeed in such a competitive world and industry? This feeds into my inadequacies:- as in, am I good enough? Are my 'design' skills good enough? (creative arts student).

2.) I am so burned out. I have no way of knowing where to turn, and I have no immediate plan to fall into after uni.

I used to be so prepared, in the earlier part of the semester I applied for a grduate junior role within a design company-- after having got to interview-- I was unsuccessful. So its not like I am not making an effort... I have a small amount of volunteering experience designing posters and stuff for the local council, and I have an up-to-date CV, with a portfolio of work (However the work is dated). Its just I am stressing about having something to 'go to' after uni. I don't want to work in my dead-end PT job for any longer than is required.

Any advice? I just wish I have a better sense of direction. A clearer vision and the initiative to do it.

ReputationRep:
    well basically you wont be able to find a job with a useless degree like that (sorry). But thats a good thing because you got to enjoy your time at uni and now just take whatever you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlsmp)
    well basically you wont be able to find a job with a useless degree like that (sorry). But thats a good thing because you got to enjoy your time at uni and now just take whatever you can
    I find your comments, firstly, rude and offensive. Secondly, it isn't useless, I still learned lots of things, which you would still otherwise learn on any other degree (such as Law or the Sciences) or whatever else. Analytical skill, written communications, as well as creative skill-sets for which I hope to use once I do go into industry.

What do you mean exactly by "But thats a good thing because you got to enjoy your time at uni"?

Your trying to suggest that I'm some sort of dosser or layabout that has spent three years not studying as well as they could've been. When in fact, I tend to get among some of the best results in my class. So I suggest you take that comment back.

Besides, what degree are you studying for/have studied?

Please don't tell me your not even at university yet, and your some cocky know-it-all sixth former that thinks they know the real world, when they haven't held down a job in their life.
    There seems to be a minority on here that thinks that they know all, when in fact they don't. What they do know is in fact the inside contents of a few books, and perhaps were fortunate enough to score highly on a fee exams. Jeez this must mean they're Einstein hey?

Too many people on here think they are the bees knees-- and clearly you have a superiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    I basically don't know what to do when I graduate in January 2016.

I still feel passionate toward my degree subject, however, to what level- is a question that is debatable.

I just feel that after three long years of study, and a further 4 years prior to uni soul-searching as to what I wanted to do. I still have no idea.

I think this is partially linked to two things mainly. 1.) I have no idea whether I have what it takes to succeed in such a competitive world and industry? This feeds into my inadequacies:- as in, am I good enough? Are my 'design' skills good enough? (creative arts student).

2.) I am so burned out. I have no way of knowing where to turn, and I have no immediate plan to fall into after uni.

I used to be so prepared, in the earlier part of the semester I applied for a grduate junior role within a design company-- after having got to interview-- I was unsuccessful. So its not like I am not making an effort... I have a small amount of volunteering experience designing posters and stuff for the local council, and I have an up-to-date CV, with a portfolio of work (However the work is dated). Its just I am stressing about having something to 'go to' after uni. I don't want to work in my dead-end PT job for any longer than is required.

Any advice? I just wish I have a better sense of direction. A clearer vision and the initiative to do it.
    Hey mate..

I am sort of in the same situation in the fact that I am in my final year and still don't know what I want to do (I study biology and chemistry)... But some people I know who graduated ahead of my (I am a 27 year old mature student) didn't get a graduate job until a few months later because they were figuring out what they wanted...

Do you want to stay in design? Or go into something else? There are plenty of design agencies and even starting at the bottom will be good as it's all experience....

Have you ever thought about moving abroad? I know Australia for one is really hot on design and you could probably get a nice job with them?

-------------------------------------------
    If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)

ReputationRep:
    no reason not to take some time out, get an unrelated job and save some money, do some stuff for you for a while and then evaluate whether or not you want to stay in your field

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.