Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying Politics and International relations and I realized I have made the wrong choice. What I want to study the most and pursue a career in is Nursing. I didn't do very well at my A-levels: I got A* (Ceramics) A(Geography) and D (Chemistry). At the moment, I am also not doing very well in my first year of Politics as I just haven't got the motivation to study this subject. Would it be possible for me to transfer to another university (since my uni doesnt offer a nursing degree ) and study nursing instead with my D in chemistry? Or is it possible to do a Foundation degree at an college first?

Thank you so much
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Depends on the uni but if you find one that's not bothered about not having a level biology which is most unis really ,you d have the UCAS points to do nursing straight away
    You can't get a transfer you d have to go through UCAS again. Best thing would be to get some care experience to be sure you definetly want to do nursing and would massively help your application

ReputationRep:
    I actually traveled a similar path on my way to nursing.

I have ABBb in Classics, English Lit, Religious Studies and French. I did a year of classics, which i just couldn't get motivated on, and a year of politics, ditto.

I realised what I really wanted to do was to study mental health nursing, and thought I would have to take a year to do more A levels or a foundation course, but found that most unis just want you to have enough UCAS points and to be able to demonstrate passion and motivation to become a nurse.

Have a look at some different unis, there's quite a few that you could get into with those grades! I'm heading to De Montfort in January, DBS and occupational health allowing.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the above replies! I have actually done some doctor shadowing for a month 2 summer holidays ago! I am quite worried as the only subject I did in science was Chemistry and I got a D in it! And all my other alevel subjects are pretty irrelevant as well :/
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ttc)
    Thank you for the above replies! I have actually done some doctor shadowing for a month 2 summer holidays ago! I am quite worried as the only subject I did in science was Chemistry and I got a D in it! And all my other alevel subjects are pretty irrelevant as well :/
    It doesnt matter what your subjects are you just need the correct ucas points

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing mental health nursing at Nottingham in September, my subjects at a level were English, psychology and graphic design, AS levels in textiles and fine art. I then went on to do a BTEC in art and design and then a degree in graphic design. So don't worry about your subjects
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ttc)
    I am currently studying Politics and International relations and I realized I have made the wrong choice. What I want to study the most and pursue a career in is Nursing. I didn't do very well at my A-levels: I got A* (Ceramics) A(Geography) and D (Chemistry). At the moment, I am also not doing very well in my first year of Politics as I just haven't got the motivation to study this subject. Would it be possible for me to transfer to another university (since my uni doesnt offer a nursing degree ) and study nursing instead with my D in chemistry? Or is it possible to do a Foundation degree at an college first?

Thank you so much
    As already mentioned by clairestelle, MolluscBaby and KittyAnneR the majority of Universities are not overly concerned about subjects or experience but more that applicants meet the UCAS tariff point requirements alongside the GCSE requirements. The Admissions Team are also looking for applicants to supply a strong personal statement and interview well.

In terms of transferring, each University will differ and as a result I would strongly recommend you contact the ones you’re interested in to enquire whether they accept transfer applicants and if so how their process works. Also at this stage it would be worth checking out their entry requirements.

The University of Bradford for example has in place a direct application form which is available to external students that are interested in gaining access onto the 2nd year of Nursing - Children's BSc (Hons), Nursing - Adult BSc (Hons) or Nursing - Mental Health BSc (Hons). This transfer option is only available to students that have already studied for 1 year on a Nursing related course.

External applicants who have studied on a course unrelated to Nursing will be asked to apply through UCAS for entry onto the 1st year. Our Admissions Team will look to see if the applicant meets our standard academic requirements and will also ask to see a copy of their transcript. If eligible, applicants will be asked to attend an interview. Following the interview applicants will be issued offers.

I’m sorry I can’t give you a more accurate answer and I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any further concerns or queries feel free to get in touch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyAnneR)
    I'm doing mental health nursing at Nottingham in September, my subjects at a level were English, psychology and graphic design, AS levels in textiles and fine art. I then went on to do a BTEC in art and design and then a degree in graphic design. So don't worry about your subjects
    Hey! Have you had an interview at Nottingham? Did you have to take your GCSE certificates with you? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charleyy259)
    Hey! Have you had an interview at Nottingham? Did you have to take your GCSE certificates with you? Thanks
    Yeah I had to take all my certificates

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.