Turn on thread page Beta

for those of you who don't have any/very few friends. What do you find the hardest watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested on how having no friends has affected other people.

In primary school I had a best friend who moved away when I was 7. It left me with no friends in primary scho and as a result no understanding of how to be friends with someone.

In secondary school I made a best friend but i never felt extremely close to her and she was the only friend I had. Although I was friendly to a lot of people in the class.

When I went to university I struggled to make friends. I had my roommates but unfortunately they stole off me towards the end of the first year (all chucked off their course and got criminal records) so it left me with literally no one! I made a friend here and there but no one I saw all the time.

The things I found hardest were:
    Feeling the need to lie about what you had done at the weekend as you had been alone

The loneliness

Not being able to accept the rare invites to go out somewhere as you had no one to go with

Having your parents worried about you being lonely

If I wanted to invite someone to go clubbing I would sometime say me and a friend were going and then on the day my 'friend' wouldn't be able to make it. That's pretty sad but I didn't like to admit my situation.

I never celebrated my birthday with a party as I had no one but family to turn up!

The effect on self-esteem.

At the age of 25 I now have a lot of friends and seem to be popular. So I think it's was more circumstance than personality.

What do you find hardest about your friend situation? Or do you like having few friends?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2015
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.