Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im currently split between the two subjects. i also picked English lit and history and im wanting to pursue a career in law.. which do yu think with be better for me ... or easier. any other suggestions on a levels that will help me do law. am i picking the correct ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaash19)
    im currently split between the two subjects. i also picked English lit and history and im wanting to pursue a career in law.. which do yu think with be better for me ... or easier. any other suggestions on a levels that will help me do law. am i picking the correct ones?
    I'd choose psychology (well I did). I, personally, find it pretty easy, there's just a lot of information you need to remember for the exams. I did sociology at GCSE which was quite good and I believe it's not too hard at A level (friends do it).

I'm not really sure which would be better for law, sociology would probably make more sense, but neither is necessary (right?..). Psychology would definitely be seen as a better qualification to have I think.

Also: Have you thought about Government and Politics? I do it and it's really interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Psychology. Although there is a lot to take in, its interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking them both atm in year 12. Considering your career aspiration, I would go for Sociology. But there are other subjects more related to that career path. Law or government and politics or something along those lines would be better a levels tbh

ReputationRep:
    Sociology's easy but it's extremely boring. Psychology is also quite boring but it's less boring than Sociology. You also get to learn some interesting stuff once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Although I can only speak from my point of view of taking Psychology as an A level, I have heard that Sociology is interesting too.

Psychology was a nice subject for me and quite intriguing to learn about different aspects of human behaviour. Though said before, there is a lot of content to absorb, but nonetheless, it can be 'easily' revised

ReputationRep:
    I say sociology. I do both and psychology has so much content and info that you dont really need if you want a career in law. Sociology is combined with a little psychology that will give you insight into the structure of society, family, health, social policy and crime...that'll be more beneficial for ya

ReputationRep:
    Definitely psychology.. I was having trouble deciding between those 2 and now I'm doing psychology at uni.. Just beware that there is A LOT of content

ReputationRep:

i do psychology, english lit sociology and business.
    in basic summary
    psychology is interesting but content heavy
    sociology is bull**** and is humourlessly pathetic
    english is one of the hardest things ive done, today was my exam and i cried like a *****, imagine your gcse, but 4X more content in what feels like half the time on fire.
    i was getting easy A* at gcse, now im praying on a C...

my friend does history too and im aware its REALLY content heavy, id really suggest looking into a less content heavy subject like business or maybe economics, by far means are they easy, but just require different skills.

but basically psychology defo, easier to learn something interesting.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    so would you suggest me to do English or history. i was thinking about switching one with economics but im still not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivia_taylor)
    I wanted to do law at uni (changed opinion on it now) and picked english lit, history, government & politics and sociology - I'd personally say (and have been told by many people) that this is the best subject combination for law; because of the skills you learn, whilst also giving you the freedom to choose other career paths if you change your mind too.

Also, sociology is a much better option than psychology because the skills and work you do directly relate to law work - e.g studying social policy in depth, and crime and power. Whereas psychology is better for those wanting to do criminology.

I'd also consider government and politics, especially as it focuses on the law and the judiciary, and is a better choice than law a level, which is looked down on by some universities as it doesn't really prepare you for law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    was doing a combination of english and history difficult? they are both heavy set topics and im afraid to do both cause i may get overwhelmed... what do you think,

ReputationRep:

I do Psychology AS AQA.
    I believe Psychology is more appreciated by universities than Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology. I do it at A2. Its a lot more interesting than sociology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samboosa0)
    Psychology. I do it at A2. Its a lot more interesting than sociology
    is the psychology workload intense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No not really. I do AQA and the possible questions which could come up can be fairly easily to predict. You just need to make sure not to leave revision to the last minute but other than that i find the course content very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    is the psychology workload intense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say its probably my easiest a-level however i'm not a big fan of essay writing but seeing as you've taken both english and history (essay based) i'm sure you'll find it fairly easy to cope with

ReputationRep:
    so would you suggest me to do English or history. i was thinking about switching one with economics but im still not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    really best to properly look into what youd learn at your collage, i done an econmics lesson at the start of the year and after one lesson chose business which I now really love. you just need to be aware there is no easy way out im afraid, in the summer ereally go to town on the course content and if you do english read the books over summer!

ReputationRep:
    Try and find out which exam board it is for Sociology. If it's AQA I know for a fact that in A2 there is a Crime and Deviance unit. I think the other unit is Power and Religion? These topics definitely seem useful for a career in Law.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.