The Student Room Group

Reasonable First Car that Isn't Run of the Mill

Hi Guys,

Quick question about first car stuff. It sickens me how many Corsa's, Feista's, Clio's are on the road, and quite frankly how boring, generic and drab they are.

For my first car I would possibly like a hot-hatch version of a regular car or indeed any car that is fun to drive, unique and has real road presence. Currently looking at the Fiesta ST- such a gorgeous car, and the most fun small car you buy in the UK at the moment, as I'm told. I did look at a Mondeo ST220, MK5 Golf GTI, but concluded that the fuel efficiency was too poor compared to other cars on the market. Fuel efficiency would have to be reasonable- 35-40MPG combined.

New Audi A3 is too expensive, previous gen A3 looks really dated. Did go though a period of liking the Vaxhall Astra GTC- but concluded it looked too dorky and definitely not something I could live with everyday. Don't like the Mini- it's too imfeminite. Generally don't like Japanese hatchbacks.

I'm definitely up for other suggestions for cars that you think would meet these requirements, both fully and partially. Or indeed if you wish to challenge any of my views- feel free :smile:

I can probably go up to 12-13k, as I'm probably buying at least partially on finance when the time comes and plus (in general) second hand small cars that are cheaper than £2,000 generally collapse within a year or two, under the combined spiralling costs of MOT's, MPG inefficiency and general wear and tear.

I'd feel happier buying a car that was not older than 3 years, due to, as I said MOT costs etc.

The reason I'm really asking is because I'm working this summer, and debating whether to buy a MacBook or put to the money aside for a first car fund.

In terms of insurance, I will probably be around 21 when I purchase my first car- and have held my licence since May 2013, with a Pass Plus qualification as well. I am currently 20.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
If you do have a large budget like that and want to spend it on a car i'd say the fiesta would be a great choice. I've driven a 2011 sport version and 64 reg 1L. Both were fab to drive.

Wish I was rich enough to get one for myself. :lol:
I'd suggest maybe a Suzuki swift or a Toyota Yaris?
Dont be a prat and spend 12-13k on your first car...
Reply 4
I think you need to think about what you want and what you're asking for here.

You first complain that there are a lot of hatchbacks on the road and then say you want a faster version of one of these cars. You want something a bit different and then want a Mk5 Golf GTI, which are quite literally everywhere. You want a car that's fun to drive but also want 40MPG. You're looking to spend £13000 for a car and lord knows how much on insurance on top of that, but don't want to pay £45 a year for an MOT. Your Pass Plus qualification is useless and will not save you money relative to what you paid for it.

The best thing I can think of is a BMW 123d coupe: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504232875368

But like I said, I think you need to think harder about what you're after.
Original post by FXX
I think you need to think about what you want and what you're asking for here.

You first complain that there are a lot of hatchbacks on the road and then say you want a faster version of one of these cars. You want something a bit different and then want a Mk5 Golf GTI, which are quite literally everywhere. You want a car that's fun to drive but also want 40MPG. You're looking to spend £13000 for a car and lord knows how much on insurance on top of that, but don't want to pay £45 a year for an MOT. Your Pass Plus qualification is useless and will not save you money relative to what you paid for it.

The best thing I can think of is a BMW 123d coupe: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504232875368

But like I said, I think you need to think harder about what you're after.

I have a 123d Coupe - I'm almost 26, held my license for 8 years, 3 years NCB and own another vehicle. It's a great car - fast and frugal. Maybe not the most exciting vehicle ever, but has as much torque as an E90 M3...

Anyway insurance is still £600 a year... I live in a moderate risk area with it parked on the road (although suburban Bristol is less risky than, say, London) but do have 3 points and a no-claim-made/not at fault incident on my record. Without these the insurance would have been about £550...

**** knows how much a new driver would have to pay to insure one...

OP how old are you?
Original post by shaymarriott
I have a 123d Coupe - I'm almost 26, held my license for 8 years, 3 years NCB and own another vehicle. It's a great car - fast and frugal. Maybe not the most exciting vehicle ever, but has as much torque as an E90 M3...

Anyway insurance is still £600 a year... I live in a moderate risk area with it parked on the road (although suburban Bristol is less risky than, say, London) but do have 3 points and a no-claim-made/not at fault incident on my record. Without these the insurance would have been about £550...

**** knows how much a new driver would have to pay to insure one...

OP how old are you?

You can claim as much torque as an M3. But then you consider how they are geared. Simply put the M3 has 40% more torque at the wheels than your 123D.
Original post by Sam Walters
You can claim as much torque as an M3. But then you consider how they are geared. Simply put the M3 has 40% more torque at the wheels than your 123D.

OK, I will amend...

The M3 has 295 ft-lb of torque from 3900rpm.

The 123d has 295 ft-lb of torque from 2000rpm.

Obviously the M3 is has more power and acceleration. But the torque numbers are the same, if nothing else.

The 123d is torquey and plenty quick enough.
Original post by shaymarriott
OK, I will amend...

The M3 has 295 ft-lb of torque from 3900rpm.

The 123d has 295 ft-lb of torque from 2000rpm.

Obviously the M3 is has more power and acceleration. But the torque numbers are the same, if nothing else.

The 123d is torquey and plenty quick enough.

At the engine but it doesnt matter there. At the wheels is where it counts.

So the reality is. It has much less torque so you cant really say that.
If you really want to be pedantic about it, the torque doesn't matter at all, what counts is the linear force that can be generated, which is also affected by the diameter of the wheels!
Original post by CurlyBen
If you really want to be pedantic about it, the torque doesn't matter at all, what counts is the linear force that can be generated, which is also affected by the diameter of the wheels!

I'm not really interested in Sam's pedantry - it's a quick enough economical fun car, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters to me!
Reply 11
If you want a great hot hatch then the Fiesta ST (I presume we are talking about the new MK7 version) is a good choice. Nowhere near as pricey as some of the other equivalent cars and it is an absolute joy to drive. Fuel economy is around 35mpg in the real world. If you can, try to get a deal on an ST2 rather than the ST1 trim, the interior is far better and when I was looking to buy mine they could be had for nearly the same price. There are much nicer and faster cars out there, but you will struggle to find a bad review anywhere on the net. About the only complaint is that it's a bumpy ride but in all honestly most similar hot hatchbacks suffer from the same issue.

All that said, even a second hand Fiesta ST is quite a lot of money to spend on a first car...
Hot hatches are great - for that money I think the Fiesta ST is the best one available. I've driven one and it really won't disappoint you as it's quick, nimble and economical too.

Alternatively you could get something a bit bigger and older - maybe a BMW 3 series or something similar (you can get an old M3 or even M5 for that money but they're very expensive to run as they guzzle fuel)?

Another option is a sports car, something like an MX5, s2000, or MR2 is an option or you could go crazier and get a lotus elise, Vauxhall VX220 or even a TVR Chimera (thought the insurance and fuel might kill you on the latter and they aren't reliable).

Final option is a classic car - an old rover, Jaguar or sports car like an MG or Lotus Elan or similar there are really so many options. Look through Autotrader at all the interesting options with your price limit set and you'll be astonished you can get some very interesting cars for that money if you look in the right place!
Reply 13
Hatchbacks are expensive to insure because that's what every man and his dog drives and therefore subsequently crashes.

Want to be different? Buy an estate.
You could try for a Volvo C30, essentially a Ford Focus with a nicer bodyshell and interior.

You could get one with some of the more powerful engines such as the D5 or the T5 and those things can run. Starting to come down a lot in price these days and will be a good buy for time to come. Just make sure it doesn't have an aquarium in the boot.

Quick Reply