Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im a MFL fresher at Sheffield uni, any questions about uni life, subjects, accommodation etc. I'm pretty much an open book! I can probably help with most things

ReputationRep:
    How lenient is Sheffield with not achieving the offer grades? It's my insurance but I don't want to miss out by dropping one grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I dropped 2 grades but still got in! I think it just depends on the course, what course are you planning to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bioengineering, do you know whether the course is competitive?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's competitive if I'm honest, what do you need to get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how good is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggz95)
    im a MFL fresher at Sheffield uni, any questions about uni life, subjects, accommodation etc. I'm pretty much an open book! I can probably help with most things
    How live is freshers week ?

ReputationRep:
    Freshers is pretty good! We didn't buy any tickets for anything but waited until the day of the events and decided where to go!! There are so many things to do meaning it can get quite overwhelming however you learn so much during freshers
    The only problem I had with it was that all the registration, introduction lectures etc are all in freshers. You need to try and attend everything even if you're hanging! The union has something every night during freshers but they do about 3-4 nights a week including pop tarts on Saturday (every Saturday)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you know anyone at the uni on your arrival? Was it easy making friends?

ReputationRep:
    I met nearly all of my flat on facebook before I arrived, as well as people on my course and in other flats
    It was so easy to make friends!! Weather you like going out or not, uni make it easy to make friends. You gel with your flat and you meet other flats and it's so easy to talk to people!! Don't worry about not making friends, at Sheffield I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have friends

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooting_stars)
    Did you know anyone at the uni on your arrival? Was it easy making friends?
    Also it's quite likely that people from your area or school who you happen to know may come to Sheffield, if not it's so easy to make froends

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also it's quite likely that people from your area or school who you happen to know may come to Sheffield, if not it's so easy to make froends

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay thankyou.. that was the only aspect of uni i was nervous about.. that everyone will be friends with each other and im there like i dont know anyone... But i guess its not like school which is good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooting_stars)
    Okay thankyou.. that was the only aspect of uni i was nervous about.. that everyone will be friends with each other and im there like i dont know anyone... But i guess its not like school which is good...
    Yeah not everyone is friends with everyone (that's just impossible) but everyone wants to make friends so that makes it easy too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's the nightlife like? What is the best night to go out and where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaronsomething)
    There is something every night! Monday at DQ is usually good (if you like house), Tuesday has the Tuesday Club with live DJs (at the SU), most people go out on a Wednesday, weather it be to ROAR (usually the sporty people go there, again at the SU) or corp, where it's the school disco (shirt and tie needed for cheaper entry), Thursday's there is jump around at the lead mill (by Hallam and the station) or bonkers at plug, Friday there is Ey Up at the SU as well as lead mill, plug etc
    Saturday is Pop Tarts at the SU (cheesy pop 1960's to 2000's) and then Sunday everything is a bit subdued (we never go out on a Sunday but I think there are places open
    Also doing the bars along west street then heading to carver street is also a lot of fun!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There is something every night! Monday at DQ is usually good (if you like house), Tuesday has the Tuesday Club with live DJs (at the SU), most people go out on a Wednesday, weather it be to ROAR (usually the sporty people go there, again at the SU) or corp, where it's the school disco (shirt and tie needed for cheaper entry), Thursday's there is jump around at the lead mill (by Hallam and the station) or bonkers at plug, Friday there is Ey Up at the SU as well as lead mill, plug etc
    Saturday is Pop Tarts at the SU (cheesy pop 1960's to 2000's) and then Sunday everything is a bit subdued (we never go out on a Sunday but I think there are places open
    Also doing the bars along west street then heading to carver street is also a lot of fun!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's West Street Live on Sunday if you're brave enough

Ey Up isn't particularly good after the first few weeks and I think the SU will probably consider cancelling it for next year like they did with Space, they should really just cancel their Friday night tbh.

Otherwise the nightlife's pretty damn good and you've covered pretty much everything, it's also worth noting that the pubs around Broomhill are pretty decent if you're looking for a more chilled out night. You'll also notice that during second year people start going to house parties more often instead of the pre-drinks followed by clubbing that is standard in first year, hence make sure you live in Crookesmoor or you'll be walking for ages to get to people's houses

ReputationRep:
    Do you get a welcome pack in your accommodation when you arrived?if so what was in it?

I also think you should just write some tips of stuff you wish you knew before you came to university/Sheffield...

PS. Thanks for answering my other question

ReputationRep:
    Do you get a welcome pack in your accommodation when you arrived?if so what was in it?

I also think you should just write some tips of stuff you wish you knew before you came to university/Sheffield...

PS. Thanks for answering my other question
    That's ok! Also yeah you do!! You get keys, A to Z of things like room inspections and some other things, you also get energy drink, sweets, noodles etc it's quite good!
    Things I wish I'd known:
    1) uni is a bit harder than I thought. It's easy to start but imo revision is harder than in school
    2) the nightlife is better than I thought it would be
    3) enjoy yourself as a fresher! It doesn't count towards your degree (most of the time)
    4) bulk buy things before you go!
    5) you get a microwave, oven,kettle and toaster in accommodation as well as fridges and freezers, no need to bring any of these (unless you want one for your room)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Which languages do you do? And what do you think of them? I've got an offer to study BA Modern Languages and I'll be doing Spanish and beginners German, but I still haven't decided on my third.

Also do you think they are likely to still be lenient this year with grades for languages? My offer's ABB and I think I should be able to get at least an A in Spanish and maths, but I'm a bit worried about biology and think I might end up getting a C. Do you think they'd be likely to accept AAC in those subjects?

Thank you in advance

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.