Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am considering applying for graduate programs in the field of Finance and Economics at LSE this fall. The problem I am running into is that there are just too many options and I do not know which one would be most appropriate for me given my career aspirations and level/type of preparation at the undergraduate level. To add to the confusion, I have heard that not all of the programs offered by LSE command the same level of respect and that there are a few that are clearly more rigorous than the others. Can you guys please take a look at my profile/expectations, and let me know which programs I should apply to?

Student Profile:
    I am graduating from a Liberal Arts College in the US and I majored in Mathematical Economics. As you might expect, I have taken a ton of math classes and am really not opposed to dealing with mathematical concepts at graduate school. I have a 3.8 GPA, 740 GMAT, won the best thesis award in economics, worked as a RA for a number of professors, have interned at a top economic consulting firm, and will be working with the corporate finance team of a large firm in the US starting this summer.

Expectations from graduate school:
    There are three main reasons why I am applying to these graduate programs. Firstly, I want to gain access to front office career opportunities in top consulting and finance firms (McKinsey, BCG, top BB banks, etc). I am hoping that a brand name like LSE or Oxford will give me opportunities that were not available to me as a graduate of a mid ranked US college. Secondly, and this is less important than my first goal, I would like to strengthen my profile for top PHD programs in Finance and Economics. While this is not my top priority, I would definitely prefer to keep the option of applying to phd programs either directly out of the Msc or in the future. Lastly, I am looking for rigorous and challenging coursework that allows me to develop my quantitative and technical skills. This is the reason why I do not want to get an MBA. I really enjoy econometrics and economic theory, and would like to expand my knowledge in this area.

Given my interests and profile, can you please let me know which of the following programs I should apply to at LSE and why? Furthermore, which of these programs are considered most rigorous and why?

Msc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
    Msc Economics
    Msc Finance
    Msc Finance and Economics
    Msc in Finance and Private Economics
    Msc Accounting and Finance

ReputationRep:
    any insights guys?

ReputationRep:
    Theoretically, the more quantitative and technical is your master, the better is it.

Msc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics would thus go first.
    Then the finance Msc (Finance + Finance & Economics + Accounting and Finance), then the rest.

ReputationRep:
    At LSE, MSc Finance and Economics is the most rigorous in academic sense. I would suggest this course and MSc Finance, given your interests.

ReputationRep:
    At LSE, Finance and Economics is pretty great.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be constructive to focus greater time and attention in choosing the right modules, over and above the actual programme itself. LSE's Finance courses are one of, if not the best out there, from all aspects. I've taught Finance courses across the UK and I must say that LSE's courses are really top notch. The amount of detail they go into is inspiring and formidable, and I believe you'll really have a great learning journey.

Here are my top 3 favourites and 'must do courses', particularly if you're after something rigorous:
    FM430 (http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calen...2014_FM430.htm)
    FM445 (http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calen...2014_FM445.htm)
    FM421 (http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calen...2014_FM421.htm)

Long Live Finance!

Best,

Vashisht

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.