Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've done an S1 question and worked out the answer, but I don't fully understand it. Could someone please help.

The question says that a bag has seven triangles, 3 blue and 4 red, and eleven squares of which 5 are blue and 6 are red. I have to pick two items at random and not replace. I've put this data into a table to answer the following:

1) Probability of same shape = 7/18*6/17 + 11/18*10/17 = 76/153

2) Probability of same colour = 8/18 * 7/17 + 10/18 * 9/17 = 73/153

All ok so far....

3) The final question is the probability of the same shape and same colour.

After trial and error I've got the right answer which is: 3/18*2/17 + 4/18*3/17 + 5/18*4/17 + 6/18+5/17 = 2/9

However, I don't understand why simply multiplying the answers to parts 1 and 2 doesn't give the right answer.

Could someone please explain.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    You can't use the formula P(A intersection B) = P(A) x P(B), because this is for independent events only. Instead you need P(A intersection B) = P(A) x P(B|A). I sometimes find calculating P(B|A) confusing or time consuming and that's when I draw a tree diagram (even if it's quite huge) and that ALWAYS help.
    Try to draw the tree diagram and you'll see why the result is 2/9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ludmila)
    You can't use the formula P(A intersection B) = P(A) x P(B), because this is for independent events only. Instead you need P(A intersection B) = P(A) x P(B|A). I sometimes find calculating P(B|A) confusing or time consuming and that's when I draw a tree diagram (even if it's quite huge) and that ALWAYS help.
    Try to draw the tree diagram and you'll see why the result is 2/9.
    Thank you ludmila - that's really helped!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.