Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm deciding between Trefloyne and Cwrt Mawr, though also like the look of PJM, Seafront and Brynderw.

Could you guys tell me the pros and cons of the accomm you stay in or know about please. Photos would also be appreciated.

* kitchen/bedroom/bathroom appearence
    * the feel of the halls - party hall? relaxed?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Currently finishing my first year in Rosser however I've been to all the other halls and have friends in them so I'll give this a shot.

Trefloyne and Cwrt Mawr are both on the campus right at the top of the hill, this is good for getting to lectures quickly in the mornings and is convenient for the legendary CKs which sells extraordinary amounts of cheap booze, cheap snacks and provides boiling water for pot noodles in the shop.

Talking about them in specifics Tref is generally lovely and has nice flats, it was my second choice and can be described as improved rosser, has massive windows which looks quite nice, they come with actual baths too which is something none of the other halls have. It's quite relaxed most of the time from what I've observed but never dead.

Cwrt Mawr is the second oldest halls on site after pengrim however they've been refurbished well although some of them have some rather oddly shaped rooms and the kitchens range from caverns to being unable to swing cats. The ones on the outside edge are quieter and smaller and as you get closer to the communal block(this used to be, and might reopen again as a union pub) they get larger flat sizes and consequently a greatly increased party atmosphere.

PJM is just across the road from the campus and is pretty odd, it's an actual village of houses for students. Houses are decent but you get no living rooms, only communal kitchen. It's very chilled on the whole as it's got third years in it and also seems popular with stoned hippy types.

All three of those are at the top of the hill. This is good for lectures, the union and CKs but if you need to go into town to go shopping, or go out, and you will be going out a lot in town both day and night. then the hill becomes a MASSIVE PAIN. requiring good legs or buses and taxis, all of which become more inconvenient as the year wears on.

Brynderw is extremely convenient for Lidl and town and is also extremely cheap which does come at the expense of it being quite run down. It's also not got a laundrette and isn't really convenient for one so you have to plan your washing well. Definitely a party hall, rumoured to be a converted office which is why it's so random inside and has variably shaped rooms.

Seafront is pretty nice, it's not far from town at all and if you're lucky you get a sea view. Quiet though, that might just be the walls being thick enough to stop the flats hearing each other.
    Some of the seafront halls have en-suites and some of them have small double beds. I don't think you can really choose which type you have though

Both of those come at the bottom of the hill which means you'll have to go up it for lectures or union events(of which after freshers week there are very few worth attending). This might be impossible for you at 9am on a monday.

As for appearance there's little between all of them. They all have the same furnishings and all kind of resemble upmarket prisons until you stuff them full of posters and ornaments. The rooms are generally the same size if not necessarily all uniform shapes. People fight over which halls is better however this generally boils down to 'Flatmates, View, up or downhill, en-suite'.

If you want better information about any of the halls and further specifics just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJmoogle)
    Currently finishing my first year in Rosser however I've been to all the other halls and have friends in them so I'll give this a shot.

Trefloyne and Cwrt Mawr are both on the campus right at the top of the hill, this is good for getting to lectures quickly in the mornings and is convenient for the legendary CKs which sells extraordinary amounts of cheap booze, cheap snacks and provides boiling water for pot noodles in the shop.

Talking about them in specifics Tref is generally lovely and has nice flats, it was my second choice and can be described as improved rosser, has massive windows which looks quite nice, they come with actual baths too which is something none of the other halls have. It's quite relaxed most of the time from what I've observed but never dead.

Cwrt Mawr is the second oldest halls on site after pengrim however they've been refurbished well although some of them have some rather oddly shaped rooms and the kitchens range from caverns to being unable to swing cats. The ones on the outside edge are quieter and smaller and as you get closer to the communal block(this used to be, and might reopen again as a union pub) they get larger flat sizes and consequently a greatly increased party atmosphere.

PJM is just across the road from the campus and is pretty odd, it's an actual village of houses for students. Houses are decent but you get no living rooms, only communal kitchen. It's very chilled on the whole as it's got third years in it and also seems popular with stoned hippy types.

All three of those are at the top of the hill. This is good for lectures, the union and CKs but if you need to go into town to go shopping, or go out, and you will be going out a lot in town both day and night. then the hill becomes a MASSIVE PAIN. requiring good legs or buses and taxis, all of which become more inconvenient as the year wears on.

Brynderw is extremely convenient for Lidl and town and is also extremely cheap which does come at the expense of it being quite run down. It's also not got a laundrette and isn't really convenient for one so you have to plan your washing well. Definitely a party hall, rumoured to be a converted office which is why it's so random inside and has variably shaped rooms.

Seafront is pretty nice, it's not far from town at all and if you're lucky you get a sea view. Quiet though, that might just be the walls being thick enough to stop the flats hearing each other.
    Some of the seafront halls have en-suites and some of them have small double beds. I don't think you can really choose which type you have though

Both of those come at the bottom of the hill which means you'll have to go up it for lectures or union events(of which after freshers week there are very few worth attending). This might be impossible for you at 9am on a monday.

As for appearance there's little between all of them. They all have the same furnishings and all kind of resemble upmarket prisons until you stuff them full of posters and ornaments. The rooms are generally the same size if not necessarily all uniform shapes. People fight over which halls is better however this generally boils down to 'Flatmates, View, up or downhill, en-suite'.

If you want better information about any of the halls and further specifics just ask.
    Thanks for your reply JJmoogle . I've decided to go for Trefloyne

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.