Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    • Can I have an explanation on this phenomena. When we fill half of a glass bottle with water, the sound produced when we hit it lightly ( with a fork of something ) is different compare to a glass bottle which is almost full of water. How can we explain it scientifically with application of frequency ( or something) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TammyChong)
    • Can I have an explanation on this phenomena. When we fill half of a glass bottle with water, the sound produced when we hit it lightly ( with a fork of something ) is different compare to a glass bottle which is almost full of water. How can we explain it scientifically with application of frequency ( or something) ?

What's the difference in pitch between the two? What effect did having more water have on the pitch?

ReputationRep:
    Having more water will decrease the pitch? But why?

ReputationRep:
    More massive -> lower frequency.
    (Greater mass = greater inertia so the particles don't vibrate as much!)

As you add more water, mass increases -> less vibration -> resonance frequency decreases -> pitch drops
    A thinner (less stiff) glass would also vibrate slower.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but I have one more question. Is the stiffness in this situation refers to young modulus? I thought the stiffness of a material is the same since it is a property of a material. Then, why does a less stiff glass will vibrate slower? I hope that's not too much questions!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.