Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys, I am starting college this year in September and I am doing the International Baccalaureate. I have chosen to do HL English Literature, HL Modern History, HL Visual Arts, SL Mathematical Studies, SL Physics and Spanish ib initio. I was extremely happy with my choices until I came to realise that taking physics might be a very wrong choice. I have already been accepted and I have my induction day in June. So I was wondering, do you think they let me change physics for another subject and when should I talk to them about this?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yagmur_9898)
    Hey Guys, I am starting college this year in September and I am doing the International Baccalaureate. I have chosen to do HL English Literature, HL Modern History, HL Visual Arts, SL Mathematical Studies, SL Physics and Spanish ib initio. I was extremely happy with my choices until I came to realise that taking physics might be a very wrong choice. I have already been accepted and I have my induction day in June. So I was wondering, do you think they let me change physics for another subject and when should I talk to them about this?
    As far as I know, you can change your IB subjects up until the beginning of your second year - ish. Basically, your IB diploma coordinator will need to register you with the IB at around September of your IB2 year, and that is when your choices need to be finalized (not to mention that if you'd switch that late, you would have a lot of work to catch up on). We had people switching from HL to SL at the beginning of year 2, though I suppose changing from one subject to another is more challenging. So in my experience, talk to them as soon as possible, but it should not be a problem to switch. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I study HL Physics and take SL maths however I do have student in my class who study SL physics and maths studies. SO far it hasn't caused them a problem and even if there were some gaps in your knowledge your teacher would help you and teach you want you are required to know. Most of the maths at SL Physics is just rearranging equations.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suwuken)
    As far as I know, you can change your IB subjects up until the beginning of your second year - ish. Basically, your IB diploma coordinator will need to register you with the IB at around September of your IB2 year, and that is when your choices need to be finalized (not to mention that if you'd switch that late, you would have a lot of work to catch up on). We had people switching from HL to SL at the beginning of year 2, though I suppose changing from one subject to another is more challenging. So in my experience, talk to them as soon as possible, but it should not be a problem to switch. Good luck!
    Thank you for your reply. I am now certain that I would like to change SL physics to another subject. However, I do not know and cannot decide which sciences I should take as it is very tricky for me to decide. I would like to study Law or Law with a joint degree in international relations and politics but I am not sure which science will make my application stronger this is because most of the universities that I would like to apply to such as; Oxford, Cambridge, and London School of Economics and Political Science only state that it would be good preparation to have background studies from subjects in humanities and arts and sciences. So, I am a bit in the middle. The college that I will be starting this September, do Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences, which one do you think will be suitable for the course that i would like to do in university. And my last question is, I have taken a Group 6 subject (Visual Arts) as I had a different career in my mind when I applied for this college last year in October and after my work experience which was approximately about 5 months ago I realized that it wasn't something that I would like to for the rest of my life so I would like to change that Group subject for an group 3 subject which i know isn't allowed do so do you think they'll let me? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsxrjunkie)
    Hi!

I study HL Physics and take SL maths however I do have student in my class who study SL physics and maths studies. SO far it hasn't caused them a problem and even if there were some gaps in your knowledge your teacher would help you and teach you want you are required to know. Most of the maths at SL Physics is just rearranging equations.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you for your reply. The only reason I have chosen to do physics was that my future career required me to do and i also enjoyed most of the aspects of physics. However, when i have done my work-experience for this job 5 months ago, I came to realize that this wasn't the right choice for me. But thank God I have finally find a career path that really and I mean truly interests me. But I am not sure which sciences would be suitable for this career path as most of the universities that I would like to apply to such as; Oxford, Cambridge and London School of Economics and Political Science only states that candidates with humanities, arts and sciences will be better prepared for my course but they do not specifically state which science will be most successful and helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. The only reason I have chosen to do physics was that my future career required me to do and i also enjoyed most of the aspects of physics. However, when i have done my work-experience for this job 5 months ago, I came to realize that this wasn't the right choice for me. But thank God I have finally find a career path that really and I mean truly interests me. But I am not sure which sciences would be suitable for this career path as most of the universities that I would like to apply to such as; Oxford, Cambridge and London School of Economics and Political Science only states that candidates with humanities, arts and sciences will be better prepared for my course but they do not specifically state which science will be most successful and helpful.
    You're welcome, all the best for the future and I hope you find the perfect career route!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsxrjunkie)
    You're welcome, all the best for the future and I hope you find the perfect career route!
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. I am now certain that I would like to change SL physics to another subject. However, I do not know and cannot decide which sciences I should take as it is very tricky for me to decide. I would like to study Law or Law with a joint degree in international relations and politics but I am not sure which science will make my application stronger this is because most of the universities that I would like to apply to such as; Oxford, Cambridge, and London School of Economics and Political Science only state that it would be good preparation to have background studies from subjects in humanities and arts and sciences. So, I am a bit in the middle. The college that I will be starting this September, do Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences, which one do you think will be suitable for the course that i would like to do in university. And my last question is, I have taken a Group 6 subject (Visual Arts) as I had a different career in my mind when I applied for this college last year in October and after my work experience which was approximately about 5 months ago I realized that it wasn't something that I would like to for the rest of my life so I would like to change that Group subject for an group 3 subject which i know isn't allowed do so do you think they'll let me? x
    In my opinion, there is not one specific science which is going to benefit you for studying Law, so I would choose the one you think you'll do best at (so that you can get a higher grade overall). One more tip is that SL Physics and SL Chem are the ones where students usually perform the worst in, so unless you really love chem, I would not choose that. Personally I think Environmental Sciences sounds really interesting, but that may just be me!

For your second question, I know multiple people who, at my school, have taken two group 3 subjects instead of a group 6, so I'm not sure why you think it's not allowed to do so. I would just go an ask your IB coordinator and make sure you can catch up on all the work you may have missed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm also starting the IB this September and hoping to study Law (Jurisprudence) (the unis you mentioned are also the ones I'm planning to apply to). I did some research before choosing my subjects, but the end game is that if you want to study law, you just need high scores in your subjects. They're looking for people with high academic skill. Oh and it wouldn't hurt to have a HL in a subject that requires lots of essay writing because that will show critical thinking.

They generally only look at your HL subjects and your overall score, so what you do for SL (unless you do more than one soft subject) does not really matter.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, why do you think taking a second Group 3 subject in lieu of a Group 6 is not allowed? It is in fact a very popular combination!

As for your group 4 SL, since you are applying for the Humanities, it really shouldn't matter which one you pick. Just pick something you will enjoy the most and can endure for 2 years! With that said, however, your choice would certainly benefit from a consideration of your mathematical abilities and your affinity towards skills-based subjects or content/memorisation-based subjects.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.