Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need a new laptop for uni because the one I currently have (Packard bell tk85) has gotten really slow and I think I have loads of viruses on it, had it for almost 3 years. It's also quite heavy and I'd like a lighter weight one.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a new, light weight and easy to use laptop? Also what kind of malware protection to install? I know nothing about laptops so I need someone to tell me!! If I get any replies, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutE)
    I need a new laptop for uni because the one I currently have (Packard bell tk85) has gotten really slow and I think I have loads of viruses on it, had it for almost 3 years. It's also quite heavy and I'd like a lighter weight one.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a new, light weight and easy to use laptop? Also what kind of malware protection to install? I know nothing about laptops so I need someone to tell me!! If I get any replies, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How much are you willing to spend? Is battery life a factor? What sort of things will you be doing on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    How much are you willing to spend? Is battery life a factor? What sort of things will you be doing on it?
    Up to like £350? I don't even know what a reasonable price for a laptop is. The cheaper the better tbh, but it needs to be good quality. Hmm I'm not too bothered about the battery life, but I'm sure they all can last at least 5 hours?
    I'll be mainly using the internet, going on Skype, doing assignments on it, typical things for a student to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it depends on whether you want the laptop or not? I dont understand what you mean

ReputationRep:
    Get a Chromebook

ReputationRep:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...pdt.html#cat-0

My sister has this and she loves it. It's in your budget too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutE)
    ...Also what kind of malware protection to install? I know nothing about laptops so I need someone to tell me!! If I get any replies, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    malwarebytes is REALLY good, pm me if you want a license key

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutE)
    Up to like £350? I don't even know what a reasonable price for a laptop is. The cheaper the better tbh, but it needs to be good quality. Hmm I'm not too bothered about the battery life, but I'm sure they all can last at least 5 hours?
    I'll be mainly using the internet, going on Skype, doing assignments on it, typical things for a student to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Laptops and their prices vary massively, at the bottom you can get cheap laptops and Chromebooks for £200, and at the other end you could spend well over £1000 on a top MacBook/Ultrabook.

If you want something cheap with good battery life I'd go for a Chromebook, they perform better than underpowered Windows machines in that price range and have much better battery life.

Also, you can't really define typical things for a student could given the number of factors that will affect what different people want. :lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Laptops and their prices vary massively, at the bottom you can get cheap laptops and Chromebooks for £200, and at the other end you could spend well over £1000 on a top MacBook/Ultrabook.

If you want something cheap with good battery life I'd go for a Chromebook, they perform better than underpowered Windows machines in that price range and have much better battery life.

Also, you can't really define typical things for a student could given the number of factors that will affect what different people want. :lol:
    Or several thousand for a bamf gaming laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get a Colossus Mark 1, Its the best, guaranteed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Or several thousand for a bamf gaming laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, there isn't really an upper limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutE)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.medion.com/gb/shop/multim...OP%20(MD98754)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.