Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is the area around the Piccadilly point accommodation (UNITE Halls) considered dangerous? I have heard a lot about drug dealing? Is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fostiras)
    Is the area around the Piccadilly point accommodation (UNITE Halls) considered dangerous? I have heard a lot about drug dealing? Is this correct?
    It's fine. Piccadilly Gardens has a bit of a reputation for dealing, but truth be told I've never known what all the fuss is about - I've never noticed dealing there, and I've never been offered drugs there either.

However, I would question your decision to go for private halls - they're generally inferior to university halls on the grounds that they are
    • invariably overpriced
    • poorly maintened (UNITE is notorious for this)
    • a strange mix of students. The students are drawn from all the different institutions (UoM, MMU, Manchester College, Salford etc.), from all different years, and lots of internationals.
    • Freshers week events at Manchester are organised via the committees in university-owned halls. There is no equivalent in private halls, which makes freshers week nowhere near as good.
    • If you drop out of uni (never say never - some people do, and the vast majority of those who do drop out during first year) then if you are in private halls, you will have to pay the entire year's rent, even though you (a) aren't living there, and (b) aren't receiving student finance. If you're in uni halls, you don't have to continue paying.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2015

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.