Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Im currently a year 11 student and i am hoping to study medicine at uni. Many universities ask for 3 a levels and an AS at B or C grade. Im sort of stuck on what my fourth a level should be - i have chosen Biology, Chemistry and English literrature. I can either choose sociology or physics as my fourth a level?. Which one would be better?

ReputationRep:
    Physics would be a better tie-in for medicine, but I recommend taking Maths over either of those. It's a more widely sought A level and taking Physics without A level maths makes Physics that much harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishugh)
    Hello! Im currently a year 11 student and i am hoping to study medicine at uni. Many universities ask for 3 a levels and an AS at B or C grade. Im sort of stuck on what my fourth a level should be - i have chosen Biology, Chemistry and English literrature. I can either choose sociology or physics as my fourth a lkevel?. Which one would be better?
    Maths.

ReputationRep:
    It is not possible for me to do maths as i do not enjoy it and i do not have the grades to apply for it. I am currently achieving a B in gcse for maths and many universities do not specifiy that i would need a level maths as an essential for applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishugh)
    It is not possible for me to do maths as i do not enjoy it and i do not have the grades to apply for it. I am currently achieving a B in gcse for maths and many universities do not specifiy that i would need a level maths as an essential for applying.
    Alright, then do not pick physics, pick sociology. You will find physics hell without maths.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response, highly appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    I would say choose Physics, but if you hate maths then you certainly wouldn't enjoy it.

I do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit, so if you want to ask any questions about those then feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    I would say choose Physics, but if you hate maths then you certainly wouldn't enjoy it.

I do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit, so if you want to ask any questions about those then feel free to PM me
    Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    Since medicine is competitive I don't think sociology would be such a great choice and that something more traditional would be preferred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcai)
    Since medicine is competitive I don't think sociology would be such a great choice and that something more traditional would be preferred.
    My only options would be either physics or sociology. Maths is out of reach at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Physics is a far more respected A Level - but if you struggle with Maths you may struggle to get a decent grade in Physics. So unless you think you're capable of an A in Physics, I'd say pick Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely won't want to do physics if you don't like maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ifyouseelaura)
    Physics is a far more respected A Level - but if you struggle with Maths you may struggle to get a decent grade in Physics. So unless you think you're capable of an A in Physics, I'd say pick Sociology.
    True, it's good to take the one you think you'll do better in too, and maths skills should be quite good for physics a level

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.